for beginners

what is the best video idea for someone who is not so in shape (obviously) and needs to get working out? i used to belong to the gym, but it's just too expensive and the two that were actually affordable around here went out of business. i just want to have a dvd i can pop in and work out with, but actually be able to do!! most videos i try are so advanced or too much for me. i also had back surgery last summer, so i am trying to work on getting my back strengthened and increase my flexibility.

thanks!!

Replies

• maggierex
    maggierex Posts: 59
    what is the best video idea for someone who is not so in shape (obviously) and needs to get working out? i used to belong to the gym, but it's just too expensive and the two that were actually affordable around here went out of business. i just want to have a dvd i can pop in and work out with, but actually be able to do!! most videos i try are so advanced or too much for me. i also had back surgery last summer, so i am trying to work on getting my back strengthened and increase my flexibility.

thanks!!
  • pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    do you have cable?

I am from NY and have time warner. There is an exercise on demand channel. I love it. You don't have to pay anything and can do arm, ab, cardio, etc. from 5 minutes to 60 minutes. There is also a fit tv channel that has exercise shows in the morning and evening. Try and look to see if your cable has an exercise shows.

The other alternative is to rent some dvds at the library or video store. Better to try them out than buy. Everyone is different to what motivates them.

Good luck and I agree the gym is too expensive. Bought me some sneakers and 5 pound weights.
    I walk and do some exercises at home.
  • Mary24
    Mary24 Posts: 398
    Leslie sansone, Walk away the pounds, Walk strong.
    This dvd is so fun and easy but still get a good workout, with strength training.
  • maggierex
    fit tv is on the premium cable, which i don't have :cry: my mom has it, and she has a dvr, so i plan to go through and start taping some and then see what ones i like and record them myself. i just discovered the channel a week or two ago when i was bored at my mom's house and flipping through the channels. makes me want to upgrade my cable!!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    do you have cable?

I am from NY and have time warner. There is an exercise on demand channel. I love it. You don't have to pay anything and can do arm, ab, cardio, etc. from 5 minutes to 60 minutes. There is also a fit tv channel that has exercise shows in the morning and evening. Try and look to see if your cable has an exercise shows.

The other alternative is to rent some dvds at the library or video store. Better to try them out than buy. Everyone is different to what motivates them.

Good luck and I agree the gym is too expensive. Bought me some sneakers and 5 pound weights.
    I walk and do some exercises at home.

The on-demand doesn't cost extra if you have digital cable. I have these channels too, they are great to try different types of workouts and see what you like.

I am a BIG fan of The Firm and TaeBo.
  • bonita87
    bonita87 Posts: 50
    i agree with mary walk away the pound is good for begginers:flowerforyou: good luck
  • bamabelle
    bamabelle Posts: 14
    I do a lot of walking, and I swim, especially since I have a knee that can't take too much aerobic impact.

I joined the local YMCA instead of a gym. for $42 a month, my husband and I BOTH can go to the Y every day except Sunday and use anyt hing there - treadmills, bikes, indoor (heated) or outdoor pool, water aerobics, tennis, weight room, several kinds of aerobics classes, yoga, pilates, you name it.

Note I said $42 a month for TWO of us.

You can't beat that!
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    I also watch Fit TV I work 7am to 5pm (have to wake up at 430 am :grumble: so I can walk dog and it takes me an hour to get ready and 30 minutes to get to work) but when I get home from work I turn it on and at 6:30 Gilad is on. I love his workouts I'd like to get his whole system. Its a mix of cardio and strength. And while it does challenge me a little, it's not too much. It's just right. It's pretty motivational. Kind of cheesy but it's like he knows when you're getting tired. He'll say "yes you can...8 more"....*shakes head ok ok I can do 8 more*:laugh: Then to mix it up a bit and try something new, I went to Walmart to buy a workout video. TaeBo is all they had that somewhat interersted me. I got the TaeBo Amped Cardio series. I love it!! There are 3 workous on the one series I got. Jump Start Cardio, Fat Burn Accelerator, and Full Throttle. Jump Start Cardio gets you started and they build up in intensity. They all go by pretty quickly, although sometimes I really reallllllyyyy have to push myself to finish it. They are fun. Keep a towel and a bottle of water nearby. You sweat like crazy, but you feel good!!! I love it so far!!! There was another one I wanted to get and for the life of me I cant remember what it's called right now. It's a mix between like kickboxing and dancing I think???!!?? I'll let ya know if I think of it. I also walk on my lunch break, walk the dog 2-4 miles every night, and I also stand up put hands on the sink and do pushups every time I use the restroom at work. Every little bit counts and you will build your endurance and do more and more. I started little and am building up. Good Luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member

GREAT IDEA. Might want to see what Blockbuster or Netflix have to offer, if you can spare the $5 or $10 a month for membership, and also assuming they have workout vids. After trying out a few through them, you could scope out used ones on Amazon or eBay.
  • maggierex
    thanks for the great tips! i have thought about trying tae bo, so i am going to check it out :smile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I do a lot of walking, and I swim, especially since I have a knee that can't take too much aerobic impact.

I joined the local YMCA instead of a gym. for $42 a month, my husband and I BOTH can go to the Y every day except Sunday and use anyt hing there - treadmills, bikes, indoor (heated) or outdoor pool, water aerobics, tennis, weight room, several kinds of aerobics classes, yoga, pilates, you name it.

Note I said $42 a month for TWO of us.

You can't beat that!

:noway: Wow! Our local YMCA was $42 a month FOR ME ONLY. Family membership was closer to $75 or $100!
  • maggierex

GREAT IDEA. Might want to see what Blockbuster or Netflix have to offer, if you can spare the $5 or $10 a month for membership, and also assuming they have workout vids. After trying out a few through them, you could scope out used ones on Amazon or eBay.

actually my mom has it, so i went through and requested a few to try out - she's going to be surprised this month:wink: i also was able to go on the website and do one of the jillian michaels videos that they have for instant play. tomorrow i will try another one!