Struggling to meet the minimum, but want to reach 1350+

Replies

• NayNeeNoo
    NayNeeNoo Posts: 25 Member
    I don't like them on their own, but walnuts in a salad is off the chain. I love it with goat cheese, craisins, poppy seed dressing and chicken. And I put them and grapes in my chicken salad. They are $, but not $$$. Maybe buy a weeeee little bag and see if you like them mixed into stuff? The bigger bags are less $ and last me for ages because I only use a little at a time.

Hm....the local natural food store has a bulk foods room and I swear I saw walnuts in there today. I'll have to check next time I go. I can buy a teeny weeny amount then and try them that way.
  • mangogirl272727
    mangogirl272727 Posts: 95 Member
    Honestly, probably replacing one of your snacks with a Boost or Ensure shake would probably be a good idea. I used to work on a cancer ward and that was always how we helped keep patients' caloric intake up; these shakes are extremely nutrient and energy (read calorie) rich (to the point where you can actually live of these shakes alone). Other than I would recommend nut butters, trail mix with nuts/dried fruit/chocolate, and granola with full-fat yogurt.
  • NayNeeNoo
    Hard for people to believe who are not female, small, petite, but the truth.

I'm petite, too. Always have been. I'm 5'1", very slender shoulders and a short torso. While hovering in the high 120 range is great for most people, it had me looking short and squat.
  • NayNeeNoo
    I sometimes have difficulty eating too, so I have taken to drinking a protein shake a few times a week which is yummy and healthy 400 calories.

1 frozen banana (hint: peel banana BEFORE putting in freezer. I found this out the hard way. LOL :laugh: )
    1 TBSP peanutbutter (all natural whatever brand)
    1c unsweetened almond milk (use whatever u like, but remember to adjust your macros too)
    a handfull of ice
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use the body fortress...use what u like, and again adjust the numbers)

Blend it all up and its really like drinking a milkshake. You can make so many different combos too. Hope this helps! :flowerforyou: :drinker:

Where does one get protein powder? Need to research this, too! LOL
  • sznnn
    sznnn Posts: 46 Member
    Last thing, do you have an Aldi near you? The ones in my town have avocados for $.79 each. At my local grocery store they're $2.79. My friend lives in LA and she gets them 5/$1.00. :-O
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    First of all, KUDOS to you to recognize that you are under-eating and working on improving it! :flowerforyou:

Second, you will get there! I've been in the same boat as you. Used to eat 1200 and feel full. Now I eat an average of 2300. It is still hard some days. Today I'm already behind on calories, LOL. It takes time for your body to adjust, and it takes diligence and planning to get all your calories in. But there are AWESOME rewards for the effort. After months of eating more, I have FINALLY stopped losing big wads of hair every day in the shower. And I have more energy every day. And I don't get cold hands and feet all the time anymore. And my body is healing and I'm slowly overcoming several health problems.

So, keep up the good work! Some things that helped me:
    * Try drinking your calories. I rewards myself for a good day of eating with 8 oz of chocolate hazelnut-milk every night (I'm allergic to dairy),. I have also started making a smoothie every morning for breakfast. I blend greens (like kale, spinach) with fruit, seeds, nuts and "boosts" like aloe vera juice, lecithin, etc. It's between 500-700 calories but it doesn't feel like it when I drink it.
    * Increase your healthy fats: I drizzle extra virgin olive oil on everything
    * Add calorie-dense foods: I eat a lot of veggies, but they have almost no calories. So I added a lot of seeds and nuts. Gives me extra calories and good fats. If I'm short on calories before bed, I have a spoon or two of peanut butter and my hazelnut milk.

Good luck to you! (And feel free to browse my diary for ideas)
  • NayNeeNoo
    Last thing, do you have an Aldi near you? The ones in my town have avocados for $.79 each. At my local grocery store they're $2.79. My friend lives in LA and she gets them 5/$1.00. :-O
    We do. I've never stepped foot in it before, though. I'll have to check it out. They were $1.99 each when I bought one last week. I think they were on sale, though. I was going to buy one this week but every last one they had was super mushy so I passed.

I like those Wholly Guacamole snack packs. They're good mixed with a Laughing Cow Swiss wedge and then eaten with Triscuits.
  • NayNeeNoo
    First of all, KUDOS to you to recognize that you are under-eating and working on improving it! :flowerforyou:

Second, you will get there! I've been in the same boat as you. Used to eat 1200 and feel full. Now I eat an average of 2300. It is still hard some days. Today I'm already behind on calories, LOL. It takes time for your body to adjust, and it takes diligence and planning to get all your calories in. But there are AWESOME rewards for the effort. After months of eating more, I have FINALLY stopped losing big wads of hair every day in the shower. And I have more energy every day. And I don't get cold hands and feet all the time anymore. And my body is healing and I'm slowly overcoming several health problems.

* Try drinking your calories. I rewards myself for a good day of eating with 8 oz of chocolate hazelnut-milk every night (I'm allergic to dairy),. I have also started making a smoothie every morning for breakfast. I blend greens (like kale, spinach) with fruit, seeds, nuts and "boosts" like aloe vera juice, lecithin, etc. It's between 500-700 calories but it doesn't feel like it when I drink it.
    * Add calorie-dense foods: I eat a lot of veggies, but they have almost no calories. So I added a lot of seeds and nuts. Gives me extra calories and good fats. If I'm short on calories before bed, I have a spoon or two of peanut butter and my hazelnut milk.

Thank you and these are all great tips. I love the thought of possibly not being cold ALL. THE. TIME. anymore. I have been freezing since it started being air conditioner time again. DH likes to keep it on 70* and I'm a popsicle at that temperature!
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Add an avo to your salad.....or some nuts, or have a few more hershey kisses!:flowerforyou:
    And going over MFP's protein is good, as it is really low and you probably need it in order to not lose more muscle mass.....

^^^^ this is a good point.

you could double your nuts, and replace your apple with 2 kiwi fruit, and add 1/2 an avocado over the day and you are there with more healthy fats and 2 serves of the most nutritionally dense fruit on the planet.

kiwifruit has the most vitamin C of any fruit, and also the highest nutrient density overall.

Health_Pyramid-KFgreen.jpeg

so if you see the above, 2 kiwi fruit will give you 12 times the nutrients an apple will.

BEST FRUIT EVER.

those are healthy solutions.

you could also just add some snacks. i mean raisins are a good one but quite sugary. add some potatoes to your salads..... hmm ill keep thinking....

love kiwi! nom nom nom :happy:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    I sometimes have difficulty eating too, so I have taken to drinking a protein shake a few times a week which is yummy and healthy 400 calories.

1 frozen banana (hint: peel banana BEFORE putting in freezer. I found this out the hard way. LOL :laugh: )
    1 TBSP peanutbutter (all natural whatever brand)
    1c unsweetened almond milk (use whatever u like, but remember to adjust your macros too)
    a handfull of ice
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use the body fortress...use what u like, and again adjust the numbers)

Blend it all up and its really like drinking a milkshake. You can make so many different combos too. Hope this helps! :flowerforyou: :drinker:

YESSSS I make this exact same protein shake all the time. It tastes like a reeses milkshake! I don't find it filling enough to be a meal replacement but it's a perfect snack full of healthy calories :)

You can buy protein powder just about anywhere... I get the Body Fortress brand at walmart because it's cheap and each scoop has only 140 calories and 26g protein!
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member

Thank you and these are all great tips. I love the thought of possibly not being cold ALL. THE. TIME. anymore. I have been freezing since it started being air conditioner time again. DH likes to keep it on 70* and I'm a popsicle at that temperature!

I hear you. At my lowest calorie point, I would wear TWO sets of clothes at home. A pair of sweat pants that fit and an old pair that was too big, a turtleneck under a sweater, and cotton socks under wool socks. Then I would put a blanket over me and shiver. And my feet would be ICY inside the two socks. It was ridiculous. But now I only get cold hands/feet very rarely and very briefly. Its lovely! :flowerforyou:
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    - Avocados, almonds, peanuts, and nut butters are easy ways to add calories healthily. A peanut butter sandwich could easily add 360 calories.

- Cooking with 1 tbsp of olive oil will add 100-110 calories and 14g of healthy fat.

- 3 tbsp of hemp seeds have omegas, amino acids, and protein at about 157 calories (just add to your yogurt or cereal)

Hope I've been of some help. :)
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    if you don't care about carbs, theres pasta salad. I get into lots of trouble with any kind of pasta salad. :)
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    A protein shake made with milk will bump you up by a lot, and it's healthy for you :)
  • fluffeesquirrel
    fluffeesquirrel Posts: 63 Member
    More good fats. As many people have suggested nuts are a great choice. Peanut butter as long as its natural. You mentioned that you are trying to lose weight. You need to add calories without adding sugars. Some of the replies have suggested sugar....that is never a good idea. Especially if you are not very active.

Costco sells salmon in individually sealed packages. I eat a fillet a day. They have 370 calories. I also eat a quest bar which is the only "bar" I would recommended anyone eating....they have 200 calories, full of protein and fiber...and do not have sugar or other chemicals. 1 oz of cashews have 160 calories in them....thats only a few nuts! ;) thats over 700 calories of goodness right there and they are small portions.

As you slowly start feeding your body you will become more hungrier. Dont rush it. Be smart about your choices. Sugar cravings are hard to break.

Dont forget to drink lots of water!!

You can do it. Keep it up =)

This is not true about Quest bars. Some of the contain sucralose (splenda).

About eating more... eat things that won't give you that full, blechhh feeling but are calorie and nutrient dense. Nuts are good, cheese, avocados (YUM), and give yourself more of a treat at night. Maybe eat one serving of ice cream some nights, maybe some yogurt, a smoothie. These things have more calories and can still feel like a treat.
  • May I ask if you are taking any nutritional supplements? Even though your calorie count is very low, your example showed some that at least you are eating healthy foods. A multi-vitamin may help to plug some holes in your nutrition, which may even help with your energy levels. Having a can of Slim-Fast, Ensure, or half serving of Total would also go a long way to making sure you get what your body needs.
    Good luck and stay healthy!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Nuts are higher in calories and tasty, but sometimes if you don't want them plain check out Pinterest for a recipe for spiced nuts. They can be made sweet or spicy. I love them in salads or on their own. Sadly I don't make them often because given the chose I'd eat nothing but my daily calorie goal of them!
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    If you have a CostCo near you, they sell BIG bags of nuts for a good price. Because nuts go rancid after a while, I store mine in the freezer in a silicone-sealed container--just take out what I need for the week and keep that bit in the fridge. You can add nuts to so many dishes--yogurt, milk shakes, casseroles, salads, pasta salads, tuna salad, salmon patties....the list goes on and on. The oil in walnuts is a healthy oil.
    CostCo or Trader Joe's might have better prices for avocados than your supermarket.
    Trader Joe's has good prices on brie--you said you like cheese and that's a calorie-dense one, with a good protein amount.
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Add cashews, feta and avocado to your salad, ups the cals and is also very satisfying.. I do this when we have salad for dinner.. nom nom

• I'm tired of relying on whiskey to meet my goal.

hehe