MFP Runner's Club - June 30th

Replies

• pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Hi All!

I'm back from my family reunion and managed to get in a couple of good runs. It was a beautiful location at a lake, and it's always fun to run somewhere new. I even got to run with my crazy marathon-running SIL (she's the one who sweet-talked me into running mine) and managed to keep up with her somewhat. I'm sure she could have gone much faster, though...

I did miss 4 days of running and I could feel it today! Does this happen to anybody else? I felt like I was sucking air after just a few miles--but I can't wait to get back to my regular routine.

See ya out there!

Julie

Hey welcome back!! We missed you too!! Glad to hear that all went well and you were able to get some running in!

I definitely have felt that 'omg, I am going to pass out' feeling - after my vacation in May I felt like I was starting all over again! Don't worry it only lasts a day or so!
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Hey everybody!

Today was a cross training day for me. I did weight lifting for an hour and elliptical.

Mireille -- I know what you mean about lowering the amount of running. The program I'm doing says that this week I only have to run five four-hundreds with warm-up and cool-down on Tuesday, and then only five miles on Thursday. Then I have a twelve mile run on Saturday. That's a bit less running than I was doing before I was training for the marathon, and it is hard to think of doing less at this point. My plan does say I can have a 10 to 20 minute warmup and cooldown, so I might just push that to 20 on both so it will add a couple of extra miles to the Tuesday run.

Nice job today Kechie, you're in great shape to be able to run so easily today.

JD--I do yoga. I used to do it every day for an hour, but now that I'm running more and lifting weights too, I can only fit in about 15 minutes per day as my cooldown. I love it, and I can tell it's so good for me.

Ali--I know what you mean about fantasizing about doing longer runs. I do that too. In fact, it was during one of my training runs for the half-marathon that I began to think I might want to do a full marathon. I agree that running is a little addictive, in a good way. I won't be surprised at all when you tell us you've started a training program for a marathon.

pmkelly - I'd love to hear what your coach has to say. Thanks for being willing to share.

Have a nice day everybody. You all continue to inspire me!

Terry:flowerforyou:
  • pmkelly409
    Hey everybody!

Today was a cross training day for me. I did weight lifting for an hour and elliptical.

Mireille -- I know what you mean about lowering the amount of running. The program I'm doing says that this week I only have to run five four-hundreds with warm-up and cool-down on Tuesday, and then only five miles on Thursday. Then I have a twelve mile run on Saturday. That's a bit less running than I was doing before I was training for the marathon, and it is hard to think of doing less at this point. My plan does say I can have a 10 to 20 minute warmup and cooldown, so I might just push that to 20 on both so it will add a couple of extra miles to the Tuesday run.

JD--I do yoga. I used to do it every day for an hour, but now that I'm running more and lifting weights too, I can only fit in about 15 minutes per day as my cooldown. I love it, and I can tell it's so good for me.

Ali--I know what you mean about fantasizing about doing longer runs. I do that too. In fact, it was during one of my training runs for the half-marathon that I began to think I might want to do a full marathon. I agree that running is a little addictive, in a good way. I won't be surprised at all when you tell us you've started a training program for a marathon.

pmkelly - I'd love to hear what your coach has to say. Thanks for being willing to share.

Hey Terry!! how is that new grandbaby doing?
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    She's great. I love being a grandma!
    I'm posing picture of her on my profile.

:happy:
  • pmkelly409
    bump
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Good morning!

I ran 3.5 miles this morning. It was supposed to be my rest day after 9 miles yesterday. However, my running partner hadn't worked out since we ran last week. So she was needing a run bad. I was surprised that I was able to run with no problem this morning. My legs didn't feel tired at all. However, the humidity was 100%. OMG We melted!

Enjoy the day:flowerforyou:
    -Kechie.

yay kechie!!!!:flowerforyou: ....I was melting w/ you this morning girl...omg whooosh! lol....but I kept saying...its like a sauna...I'm shrinking LOL....whatever works right?!

hugs!
    Ali
  • ali106
    Good Morning Everyone!! So glad to see everyone up and moving this am (or at least thinking about it - Ali running in the rain is soooo much fun and cool!)

I am scheduled for 6 miles tonight but the are calling for bad storms so I might have to do it on the treadmill :grumble:

Kechie - humidity stinks!! and it is only June! :grumble:

JD - I love yoga, I just cannot fit it into my schedule right now. The yoga clases at my gym are at times that are not convenient with my work schedule. But my best friend just joined my gym this month and all she does is yoga so I am sure she will be pulling me in sooner than later!

Hope all have a great day today - I will check in later and see how the day is going!.

hey trish....I hope the storms passed and you got outdoors.....teadmills are sooo boring...I feel your pain sista LOL

hugs!
    ali
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Hi everyone. I had an all nighter with my Mom at the emergeny room this weekend and am still getting over the sleep deprivation! I ran/walked 50 minutes today. I start the 5K or 10K program tomorrow night. Was planning on doing the 5K and running it. But am thinking...........maybe I should go for the 10K and run walk it (its in 10 weeks).

JD - I do pilates at the gym and it vitually cured this sciatic nerve pain I was struggling with!

Take care :flowerforyou:
  • ali106
    I've been meaning to tell you all about what happened to me on Saturday. I went to my wife's family reunion. There was a huge dessert table that I was doing my best to resist. I kept thinking that I wished I had brought my own food. I really wanted some fruit. I looked over at the dessert table and in the middle I spotted a basket with apples. I grabbed one, and one of my wife's cousins came running over to warn me that the apple might not be good. I was eating the center piece!! Luckily the apple was as good as it looked.

lmbo JD...you the man! I love it....I used to work at a function hall part time doing weddings etc....and they'd have a big cheese and cracker or other hor dorves set out...and the fruit "decor" was what I'd want and pick at LOL....

hugs! and keep up the great job!
    Ali
  • ali106
    Good morning,

I'm officially on the JG training schedule (Tricia, thank you for introducing me to his books).
    I am using his 2hr45 training program because it is my first half marathon and my only goal is to cross the finishing line.

This weeks schedule is:

Sunday - 5 miles run - (yesterday)
    Monday - rest or cross training (xt)
    Tuesday - 23 minutes run
    Wednesday - rest or xt
    Thursday - 23 minutes run
    Friday - rest or xt
    Saturday - off
    Sun - 6 miles run

I am going to tweak my program as I go along and as I read through the book. As you can see the runs during the week aren't very long. This is where I think I might increase the minutes. I'm running on average 50-55 minutes 4 or 5 times a week now and I'm not sure if (mentally) I can reduce the time by that much. I will feel like I'm doing nothing. I guess this is where I would need some advice from people who have done a half marathon. Should I run more on run days if I'm able to?
    I also will need to include the walk as my runs get longer. I have issues with this type of training because I'll want to brag the first time that I run 10 miles. I don't want to say I ran/walk it.:grumble: I guess that's my competitive and ego side of me. lol I will work through it tho cuz I understand the benefits.

Today I did the elliptical for 55 minutes.

Jdtrainer, I want to include yoga or Pilate's on my xt days but I don't have access to a gym. Are you doing a DVD? Can anyone recommend a great DVD for beginners?

Have a great all and I would appreciate any feedback you may have on my training program.

bowing in awe!!!! that's awesome girl! I think you are going to see 10 miles soon....the first time I ran 10 and then 12 I was like...wait...that was it....I really did it???? LOL...its surreal but feels great can't wait to get there again....and sooo proud of you!!!

hugs~!
    Ali
  • ali106
    I did 3.35 this morning on my treadmill. I'm still working on upping my miles as I had a stress fracture in January.

*high five* amazing!!!!
    hugs!
    Ali
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Just got off the treadmill with an additional 4.5 miles, total 7.5 for the day. Just felt like doing it today for some reason.

Looking into 5k/10k in Arizona. For those of you that run these already...what is a good time for me to try for. I am feeling super ambitious today! :wink:
  • ali106
    Hey everyone! I'm back from vacation. I didn't get to run as much as I should have. I came down with a sinus infection (yes, on vacation) that has gotten out of control. Now that I'm home, I'm hoping my doc can get me on the road to recovery. I can't even climb stairs without wheezing and feeling like I can't breathe (my sinus infections drain and make me cough, and cough, and cough!). So, hopefully in a few days, I will be back at it. I didn't gain any weight on vacation! In fact, my scale said down 2 pounds since I left. I hadn't been able to weigh the entire time I was gone, so I wasn't sure what to expect this morning. Surprise! :happy:

welcome back from vaca!!! sorry about your SI...I hate those!!!.....take it slow...but come hang out w/ us!! lol

hugs!
    ali
  • ali106
    Good morning all!

Tonight I have BOOT CAMP class at my gym. It's different every time, but it usually involves a mixture of sprints, lunges, squats, abs, etc. I'll let y'all know later tonight how sore I am. :) haha

oh I would soooo love that!!! nice job!!!
    hugs!
    Ali
  • ali106
    Hi All!

I'm back from my family reunion and managed to get in a couple of good runs. It was a beautiful location at a lake, and it's always fun to run somewhere new. I even got to run with my crazy marathon-running SIL (she's the one who sweet-talked me into running mine) and managed to keep up with her somewhat. I'm sure she could have gone much faster, though...

I did miss 4 days of running and I could feel it today! Does this happen to anybody else? I felt like I was sucking air after just a few miles--but I can't wait to get back to my regular routine.

See ya out there!

Julie

oh yes Julie!!! I get like that...I stopped running for about a week not too long ago and it took some time for me to find my groove again! lol....its hard...but you know once it comes back its like addicting lol
    best of luck!
    hugs!
    ali
  • ali106
    Hi All!

See ya out there!

Julie

oh yes Julie!!! I get like that...I stopped running for about a week not too long ago and it took some time for me to find my groove again! lol....its hard...but you know once it comes back its like addicting lol
    best of luck!
    hugs!
    ali
  • ali106
    Hey everybody!

great job Terry! I need to do some weight training...I do cardio jam and tae bo...but no weights and I really feel now I need to add them in to the running and all....any suggestions?

hugs!
    Ali
  • ali106
    Hi everyone. I had an all nighter with my Mom at the emergeny room this weekend and am still getting over the sleep deprivation! I ran/walked 50 minutes today. I start the 5K or 10K program tomorrow night. Was planning on doing the 5K and running it. But am thinking...........maybe I should go for the 10K and run walk it (its in 10 weeks).

JD - I do pilates at the gym and it vitually cured this sciatic nerve pain I was struggling with!

Take care :flowerforyou:

hey bunny! hope you're mom is okay!!!! I would go for the 10k hon!!!

hugs!!!
    Ali
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    I ran 5 miles today!
  • ali106
    Just got off the treadmill with an additional 4.5 miles, total 7.5 for the day. Just felt like doing it today for some reason.

Looking into 5k/10k in Arizona. For those of you that run these already...what is a good time for me to try for. I am feeling super ambitious today! :wink:

well what is your normal time....like do you run 6 miles an hour....5 miles an hour....

I ran a 10k and my average was like 9. min miles....that's because I was killing it early on and then slooooowed down some LOL....but I was happy overall

people who do like 6 and 7 mins average are amazing....5 min average are like....immortals to me LOL

hugs and best of luck and GO FOR IT!!!
    Ali