20 pounds in 40 days

Hello everyone,

I started dieting + little exercise (Cardio + very little weight-lifting) on the first week of May. Starting at around 215-220 pounds.
I weighed in today and the scale read 198 pounds.

I have been sticking at around 1200 calories for the past month except for 4-5 days where I had around 1800-2000 calories.
I'm a 19yo, 5'9 male.

Do you think that I lost muscle mass? If so, how much possibly?

It might be helpful to mention that the 38 size shorts that I used to wear fall off now and a belt wouldn't help much.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Replies

• peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    bump because i wanna see responses.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    bumb me
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Hello everyone,

I started dieting + little exercise (Cardio + very little weight-lifting) on the first week of May. Starting at around 215-220 pounds.

I have been sticking at around 1200 calories for the past month except for 4-5 days where I had around 1800-2000 calories.
    I'm a 19yo, 5'9 male.

It might be helpful to mention that the 38 size shorts that I used to wear fall off now and a belt wouldn't help much.

Yes, I think you lost some muscle mass, some fat, and some water. Lifting will help preserve your muscle mass while losing weight.

What I'm not sure about is why you're trying to live on 1200 calories when you're a 19 year old male who still has growth potential.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Stop that before you really hurt yourself. 2000 calories should be your minimum goal to hit. It will take you about 3 months to hit the top of the healthy weight range. Or you can keep doing that for a couple of weeks and lose so much muscle that you get to be that skinny fat dude and then start the process of rebuilding muscle so that you can lose the flab.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    If you're going to diet and lift weights that often, you NEED to put a GOOD amount of protein in you. (start at 60g and work up).

And I agree... 1200 is WAY too little for you, I am a 4 feet 9 inch female, 26, 187lbs (when I started the diet), I don't hardly exercise, and I eat 1200 cals a day, and I am losing weight, AND I have issues with shaking sometimes.

1200 cals for even an active woman of that weight is too little imo.

Good sources of protein:
    protein powders (140+ cals) 22-30g per serving
    lowfat greek yogurt (110 cals) 26g per serving
    fish (110+ cals) 24-28g per serving
    eggs (140 cals) 12g per serving
    meat (200+ cals) 28g+ per serving
    beans (200+ cals) 20-30g per serving

Protein builds up muscle, without it, you will not have muscle.

Drink lots of water :) Good luck on your weight loss!
  • aalhasan
    aalhasan Posts: 104
    I understand 1200 is little for me, but as I've mentioned I've been eating more than 1500 cals on some days. I ate 3000+ on 1 day (around 1pound of protein!).

I will up my calories to around 1500-1600.

MFP suggests 1580 (To lose 2 pounds per week), so I'll stick around that.

In regards to my protein intake, I consume at least 60g of protein everyday. I cross 100g most of the time.

Sadly, only one person has answered my question...
  • aalhasan
    If you're going to diet and lift weights that often, you NEED to put a GOOD amount of protein in you. (start at 60g and work up).

And I agree... 1200 is WAY too little for you, I am a 4 feet 9 inch female, 26, 187lbs (when I started the diet), I don't hardly exercise, and I eat 1200 cals a day, and I am losing weight, AND I have issues with shaking sometimes.

1200 cals for even an active woman of that weight is too little imo.

Good sources of protein:
    protein powders (140+ cals) 22-30g per serving
    lowfat greek yogurt (110 cals) 26g per serving
    fish (110+ cals) 24-28g per serving
    eggs (140 cals) 12g per serving
    meat (200+ cals) 28g+ per serving
    beans (200+ cals) 20-30g per serving

Protein builds up muscle, without it, you will not have muscle.

Drink lots of water :) Good luck on your weight loss!

Thanks for the info! I consume lots of lean meat, eggs, and fish. I will definitely get greek yogurt!
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Yes, I would have to say you have lost some muscle mass. But as to how much I wouldn't know. Eating less than you need, causes you to lose muscle quickly, and causes you to lose weight quickly. A nice steady weight loss is so much healthier, and do you more good in the long run. Nobody wants to be skinny and have no muscle. We want to be lean and toned. Right? :) Good luck! Also, I just want to add that I am a 5'1" female and I eat 1,310 calories a day everyday, I eat my exercise calories back..EVERYDAY. And on my weight lifting days, I eat around 2,200 calories depending on what I do! Now mind you that those calories consist of lean proteins, and carbohydrates. Clean eating mostly on the days I lift! Add me for support and advice if you like!
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    First off congrats on the weight loss!

I'm also 5'9". I started at 225 and am now down to 193. Given your age I would say you may not have lost as much muscle mass as you think since you eat lots of protein every day. Even if you have there's nothing you can do about it now except to get on a weight training schedule 2-3 times a week should be enough to maintain your muscle mass. Since you are eating a a deficit you won't gain muscle mass, but you can maintain it. That's why weight lifters go through those bulking then cutting cycles. I lift more than I do cardio and I feel like the fat is coming off of my muscles rather than my body simply shrinking.
  • aalhasan
    First off congrats on the weight loss!

I'm also 5'9". I started at 225 and am now down to 193. Given your age I would say you may not have lost as much muscle mass as you think since you eat lots of protein every day. Even if you have there's nothing you can do about it now except to get on a weight training schedule 2-3 times a week should be enough to maintain your muscle mass. Since you are eating a a deficit you won't gain muscle mass, but you can maintain it. That's why weight lifters go through those bulking then cutting cycles. I lift more than I do cardio and I feel like the fat is coming off of my muscles rather than my body simply shrinking.

Thanks!
    How much are you eating?
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Hello everyone,

I'm a 19yo, 5'9 male.

If your protein intake and weight lifting wasn't involved yes you did lose muscle in addition to H2O and shrinking Fat Cells
  • aalhasan
    Hello everyone,

I'm a 19yo, 5'9 male.

If your protein intake and weight lifting wasn't involved yes you did lose muscle in addition to H2O and shrinking Fat Cells

As I've mentioned my protein intake seldom went below 60g per day. I do 1-2 set of 30 elevated pushups + 1 set of 30 biceps curls using 10lbs dumbbell.
  • ashleybr1980
    ashleybr1980 Posts: 70 Member
    bump
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Depending on lifting and cardio, I would try to get at least 1500 cals... but I would still aim for more due to deficits from exercise.
  • charlesfriday1
    charlesfriday1 Posts: 14 Member
    I wouldn't worry about it much quite frankly. I'm 42 and I've lost about 15 in just a little less time. I'm a couple inches taller than you and I started out a few pounds lighter, but the weights are pretty much the same. I don't do much strength training and but I've actually noticed that my muscles look better because as the fat comes off, they get more defined.

At age 19, I could lose as much as you have simply by becoming more active. In fact, I commonly gained that much or more in the winter and then took it off as soon as summer came and I began working outside a little in the 100 degree heat.

Lose the weight first. And if you aren't happy with the way you look, put on muscle after you've lost the weight. At your age, it is really easy to do.