MFP Runner's Club - June 30th

13»

Replies

• Hi there -- can I join your running group? I just started logging my nutrition here today.... I'm hoping it will keep me on track and lose some unwanted pounds I've managed to pack on during an injury. All healed up now but A LOT heavier than I'd like to be.

I noticed a few of you are currently training for races? I find races to be great motivation! Way to go!

My name is Shel, I live in the Pacific NW , am married and have two daughters - 9 & 6, work full time and also run marathons and do endurance distance duathlons. I am currently training for Twin Cities Marathon in October -- it'll be my 16th.

Let me know if I can join your group -- I'd love to have a reason besides logging my food to come to this site every day!

By the way - I did 5 miles this morning -- hilly, hot and slow!

shel:smile:
  • Annab412
    Annab412 Posts: 12
    Ali106, I have the same love-hate running problem/ daydreaming running a full, I am hoping to be ready for one next spring!

I worked the night shift last night so I slept all day today and just finished my run about an hour ago. (I usually run in the early morning) I did 10 K. Have a good evening everyone.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    It is awesome to see that so many of us got out and got our runs on today! Great job everyone.

:heart: -Kechie.

Welcome Shel!:flowerforyou:
  • jdtrainer
    jdtrainer Posts: 160
    Hi there -- can I join your running group? I just started logging my nutrition here today.... I'm hoping it will keep me on track and lose some unwanted pounds I've managed to pack on during an injury. All healed up now but A LOT heavier than I'd like to be.

I noticed a few of you are currently training for races? I find races to be great motivation! Way to go!

My name is Shel, I live in the Pacific NW , am married and have two daughters - 9 & 6, work full time and also run marathons and do endurance distance duathlons. I am currently training for Twin Cities Marathon in October -- it'll be my 16th.

Let me know if I can join your group -- I'd love to have a reason besides logging my food to come to this site every day!

Runfaster-not only can you join, but with all of your running experience you can be our coach!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Welcome to the group.
    :
  • Slender1
    Slender1 Posts: 185
    Wow, Shel. 16 marathons!!?!? You're my hero! I'm training for my second half marathon. Today was my first day. :)

Boot Camp kicked my butt! (Literally. It hurts. Haha.) I convinced my husband to come with my tonight and afterwards he said he's never trusting me to take him to a class again. :)
  • Slender1
    Good morning,

I'm officially on the JG training schedule (Tricia, thank you for introducing me to his books).
    I am using his 2hr45 training program because it is my first half marathon and my only goal is to cross the finishing line.

This weeks schedule is:

Sunday - 5 miles run - (yesterday)
    Monday - rest or cross training (xt)
    Tuesday - 23 minutes run
    Wednesday - rest or xt
    Thursday - 23 minutes run
    Friday - rest or xt
    Saturday - off
    Sun - 6 miles run

I am going to tweak my program as I go along and as I read through the book. As you can see the runs during the week aren't very long. This is where I think I might increase the minutes. I'm running on average 50-55 minutes 4 or 5 times a week now and I'm not sure if (mentally) I can reduce the time by that much. I will feel like I'm doing nothing. I guess this is where I would need some advice from people who have done a half marathon. Should I run more on run days if I'm able to?
    I also will need to include the walk as my runs get longer. I have issues with this type of training because I'll want to brag the first time that I run 10 miles. I don't want to say I ran/walk it.:grumble: I guess that's my competitive and ego side of me. lol I will work through it tho cuz I understand the benefits.

Today I did the elliptical for 55 minutes.

Jdtrainer, I want to include yoga or Pilate's on my xt days but I don't have access to a gym. Are you doing a DVD? Can anyone recommend a great DVD for beginners?

Have a great all and I would appreciate any feedback you may have on my training program.

Check out the "Crunch" series DVDs. They are great for cardio and beginner pilates. I'll look up a website for ya and post later. Dinner timer just went off. :)
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Just got off the treadmill with an additional 4.5 miles, total 7.5 for the day. Just felt like doing it today for some reason.

Looking into 5k/10k in Arizona. For those of you that run these already...what is a good time for me to try for. I am feeling super ambitious today! :wink:

Hey great day for you!! YIPEE!! I love your motivation!!!

5K - great time is 24 minutes, very good time is 26 minutes, good time is 30 minutes....but all that really matters is that you finish!!

10K - 58- 60 minutes is great!

Now, these are just goals, it really depends on you...do you want to finish or do you want to place? Some races require that you maintain a 12 minute mile and some don't care when you finish....you should always read the fine print when signing up for a race.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Ya'll are doing so fantabulous! I love how much your posts motivate me! Thank you!!!

I just did two miles, after a rainy, stormy, and lightening filled day! Thanks for the push!
  • pmkelly409
    Hi there -- can I join your running group? I just started logging my nutrition here today.... I'm hoping it will keep me on track and lose some unwanted pounds I've managed to pack on during an injury. All healed up now but A LOT heavier than I'd like to be.

shel:smile:

Welcome Shel!!! you are very welcome to join our humble group - we look like a bunch of amatuers compared to your experience - I hope we can all learn something from eachother!!

I am training for a 10miler in August and a 1/2 in November...

i look forward to hearing all about your experiences!!! Please post daily, we would love to hear from you!!!! and welcome to MFP, i think you will find this to be a great place to hang and forget about life for a while....(and work, and the kids, and husband, and housework...):laugh:
  • pmkelly409
    Hi everyone. I had an all nighter with my Mom at the emergeny room this weekend and am still getting over the sleep deprivation! I ran/walked 50 minutes today. I start the 5K or 10K program tomorrow night. Was planning on doing the 5K and running it. But am thinking...........maybe I should go for the 10K and run walk it (its in 10 weeks).

JD - I do pilates at the gym and it vitually cured this sciatic nerve pain I was struggling with!

Take care :flowerforyou:

I am so sorry to hear about your Mom, hope all is better.

GO FOR THE 10!!! I am and 10 weeks is more than enough time to get ready.. do you have a program to follow? I can email you the one I have if you would like it, let me know....
  • pmkelly409
    It is awesome to see that so many of us got out and got our runs on today! Great job everyone.

:heart: -Kechie.

Welcome Shel!:flowerforyou:

Wow Kechie - you are burning the candle at both ends today girl!!! Nite Nite!!!
  • pmkelly409
    Ya'll are doing so fantabulous! I love how much your posts motivate me! Thank you!!!

I just did two miles, after a rainy, stormy, and lightening filled day! Thanks for the push!

Great work girl!!!! I ran in the rain and thunder too!!! It was sooooo cool and refreshing!!! Like walking in the rain and the snow and there's no where to go and your feeling like.....
  • Slender1
    Here is the pilates DVD that is AWESOME ... it makes you sweat and gives you a great overall workout.

http://www.amazon.com/Crunch-Burning-Pilates-Ellen-Barrett/dp/B00009V7QF
  • pmkelly409
    Hey Alison and the rest of you night owls - we made it to three pages!! that is really good for our little club - we must be doing something right!! YEA US!!!
  • Slender1
    WOO HOO! :)

Of course us night owls won't be woo hooing when the alarms go off for our morning run! haha
  • pmkelly409
    WOO HOO! :)

Of course us night owls won't be woo hooing when the alarms go off for our morning run! haha

and the two glasses of wine I just drank won't help the matter! :sad:
  • rdhsm
    rdhsm Posts: 16
    Hi all!! I just read through the posts and I want to run!! But with still hot, hot temps and a thunderstorm going on... I probably shouldn't. Hopefully in the morning- Good job though!