Running! Uhhhh....

I have been running/jogging the last month, I have been doing really well. I lost 13 lbs so far by watching what I eat and working out. Mostly working out. Tonight I went out for a run, normally I go for about an hour and tonight I made it 35 mins. I had the worst pain in my calves! What is going on?? I hope it goes away! Let me know if anyone else has experienced this and how long it takes to go away. And if I should just drive on and forget about the pain?

Michelle

Replies

• Mattysmomma
    Mattysmomma Posts: 268
    I have been running/jogging the last month, I have been doing really well. I lost 13 lbs so far by watching what I eat and working out. Mostly working out. Tonight I went out for a run, normally I go for about an hour and tonight I made it 35 mins. I had the worst pain in my calves! What is going on?? I hope it goes away! Let me know if anyone else has experienced this and how long it takes to go away. And if I should just drive on and forget about the pain?

Michelle
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    calves or shins?
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    if it's in your calves (and not your shins, which could either be a stress fracture or shin splints) it may just be a muscular knot. do a few stretches for your calves and have your man give you a massage! i get knots in my calves all the time from running and doing the eliptical and this usually does the trick for me!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    calves means that you probably didn't stretch - a common problem even for experienced runners...or was it shins - that is more common than calves....

next time prior to running or walking. stand on the edge of a step backwards and let your heel hang off the back of the step which will help to stretch it out....
  • Mattysmomma
    My calves I tried stretching extra tonight. Hope it help, so I sould suck it up and drive on?? I work at the hospital I'm going have one of the docs check it out! Benefits of working there...lol
  • Michelle -- what are your shoes like? Are they a good pair of running shoes, meaning did someone fit you personally for them for the purpose of running or did you just buy ordinary tennis shoes? I'm just wondering because I know when I was new to running I had horrid shoes and they caused many, many problems - one of which was burning calves. The problem was they were too rigid and didn't allow my foot the flex it needed.

The greatest calf stretch I know is this.... I always warm up - about 10 minutes - then find a curb or rock and elevate your toes keeping your heel on the ground, lean into it a bit and you'll feel a great stretch in your calf. If your shoes are good, do this after you warm up and see if your calves feel any better.

If you need new shoes you need to Google a good, reputable running store to go get fitted. They'll look at the way you walk or run (yes, they fit for walking too) - look for overpronation and see if you need a stability shoe or not (my guess is that you do) and you'll be fitting in the proper shoe to get on with your running.

Hope this helps!

Shel
  • Mattysmomma
    I have been fitted for shoes when i first joined the military, I do have a new pair but maybe they just arent right. I wear them to work too. Hummm... maybe thats a good excuse for a new pair of shoes, and it justified!! LOL. Thanks!