Running Shoe Advice

I just bought my first pair of "real" running shoes. Had my gait analyzed and the works. Spent $120 on the shoes and went online to see if I could find them cheaper. I did and was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these sites/company's. Just want to make sure they are legit before I order. Kelly's Running Warehouse and Road Runner Sports. Any information on experience with either of these would be greatly appreciated.

BTW in case you care, they are Asics GT 2000. Doesn't that sound very professional runner? LOL I love that I am now a runner :)

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Road Runner Sports is legit, my wife has bought stuff from them. I'm not sure about the other one.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    I buy all of my stuff through Road Runner and I have the VIP membership that gives me an extra discount. Also love that the membership return policy lets me test out shoes for three months.
  • Road Runner is great, and the VIP thing is TOTALLY worth doing. They have great other products as well.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Thanks guys. I will be running in the new shoes tonight to make sure they really work for me and then I will order from Road Runner Sports at a $35 discount. Will happily return the shoes to the store on Monday. They have the VIP option for only $1.99 for the first year so that is awesome!!!
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    I would first show them the site and see if they'll offer to match the price of the shoes shipped to your door. It just seems dirty to me to go to a store, have them analyze your gait, spend the time with you for fitment, and then to take them back after using them because you found them cheaper online.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Road Runner is the best.

VIP gives you an extra discount, faster shipping, and 90 days to try the shoes out (and I have returned shoes and it's super easy).
  • leesyc81
    leesyc81 Posts: 52 Member
    I would first show them the site and see if they'll offer to match the price of the shoes shipped to your door. It just seems dirty to me to go to a store, have them analyze your gait, spend the time with you for fitment, and then to take them back after using them because you found them cheaper online.

Agreed! Or return them before u try them if they don't match the price, then order cheaper online and try them ones out. Unfair to return a used product your happy with to then buy from elsewhere to save money. Store can't sell used trainers.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member

^^ This, and your not even just getting them to analyse your gait and then buying from somewhere else your actually going to take them back after trying them out. There is nothing wrong with buying stuff online but the reason it's cheaper is you don't have any customer service. If everyone did this there wouldn't be any stores for you to get tested in because they will all have gone bust.
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    I go thru running shoes too quickly. I would never pay $120 on a pair of running shoes. $30 to $50 at the most. I try and get about 400 miles out of them. I just retired and pair of running shoes last week and I bought them in February. They were New Balance Trail running shoes ($35). They have 400 trail running miles on them. Paying much more than that you are just paying for the name. They expensives are made just as cheap as the cheap pair.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Thanks guys. I will be running in the new shoes tonight to make sure they really work for me and then I will order from Road Runner Sports at a $35 discount. Will happily return the shoes to the store on Monday. They have the VIP option for only $1.99 for the first year so that is awesome!!!

You are not comparing apples to apples.

Comparing equal value, Roadrunner Sports is not the better deal. The local running store's price included time analyzing your gait and fitting you in shoes; a valuable service for us runners. Also if the shoes that you bought arent right for you, a not uncommon problem, the shoe store will help you with finding another pair or give you advice on how to make corrections in your stride or foot plant.

The store has invested money in inventory, equipment, training, employees salaries, time and overhead. If you return the shoes what is the difference between your actions and that of a shop lifter? If the money is that big of a concern for you go to the store and ask for a 15% discount and explain why you want it.

I do buy shoes from the internet, but I will not steal from a local merchant to do so.

Character is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

BTW Ive never been involved in retail or the shoe industry.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313

^^ This, and your not even just getting them to analyse your gait and then buying from somewhere else your actually going to take them back after trying them out. There is nothing wrong with buying stuff online but the reason it's cheaper is you don't have any customer service. If everyone did this there wouldn't be any stores for you to get tested in because they will all have gone bust.

agreed
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member

I hate to say this but......

You went to the shop, got fitted are going to run in the shoes and then return them??????? It's people like you who are destroying local retailers - you received a service which has value. Keep the shoes you bought and make your future purchases on line (or give your local retailer a chance to match the price)....... :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Chances are your local shop also offers things like free running clinics etc etc. There's more to value than price.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member

I hate to say this but......

You went to the shop, got fitted are going to run in the shoes and then return them??????? It's people like you who are destroying local retailers - you received a service which has value. Keep the shoes you bought and make your future purchases on line (or give your local retailer a chance to match the price)....... :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Chances are your local shop also offers things like free running clinics etc etc. There's more to value than price.
    This!!!!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    that's the one reason i haven't got fitted for shoes - because i would feel obligated to spend the $120 at the store that provided the service.
    until i actually consider myself a runner, i won't put up such an expense. but i've been lucky with my shoes, no aches, pains or injuries. not everyone is like that...
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    I just bought these and I love them.

http://www.finishline.com/store/product/womens-under-armour-micro-g-skulpt-running-shoes/_/A-6888?categoryId=cat301173&productId=prod717669

They're really light weight and form fitting. I have narrow feet and it's hard to find shoes that fit well.
  • henn1230
    henn1230 Posts: 12 Member
    Agree with all the posts saying you should not return your shoes to the store. The store gave you value and you need to pay for it. If you want to order on line in the future (and there will be a future since your shoes will only last 400 - 500 miles), then you can do so.

We need to pay for the services of local businesses or there will be no more local businesses.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    There's no such thing as free lunch. The local store charges more because it provides the gait analysis for free. It's not illegal to do what you do, but I think it's unethical. Brick and mortar stores cost more because they have to pay for the skilled staff and tools for the service, if you use their service then go online for the purchase, eventually they won't be able to maintain the service. Then where would people get their gait analyzed?

The proper thing to do is buy from them the first time around. Since you know your gait, the next purchase can be online.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    You guys made a very good point about the higher price being based on the additional service provided. I will ask the store for a discount but will not return them if they don't give me one. Thanks for the advice!!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    You guys made a very good point about the higher price being based on the additional service provided. I will ask the store for a discount but will not return them if they don't give me one. Thanks for the advice!!

Great. You seem to be a stand up person & Im happy that others feel the same as I regarding our local running stores.

Ive bought from Roadrunner and they treated me very fair; in fact, once they even included with my shoes a high quality running bag that I still use.

I have also bought from Running Warehouse http://www.runningwarehouse.com/ & it as become my preferred internet running store. (they also have the GT 2000 on sale for about $5 - $6 cheaper)

Ive learned that you have to watch all internet stores as they monitor your cookies and know where you have visited before. They will know what product and price you have been checking out and will often offer a better deal.

I think Roadrunner is a little too slick compared to Running Warehouse. If you are a member of a local running club, or certain groups at Runners World http://www.runnersworld.com/ - you can get additional discounts that really add up.

I suggest you develop a relationship with your local running store. You will find within your community events, trails and other runners. It's a good asset for the novice runner.

BTW Asics is a premier shoe & has been in the shoe business for over 60 years. (Onitsuka Tiger). Before I went minimalist I only ran in Asics Kayanos. In general I have a low opinion of the modern running shoe industry & its business model including the planned obsolescence of the shoes.

Today's running shoes weaken the foot and are designed to trap the runner into dependance.