RUNNERS: help!

Hello. I'm new to running and just entered in my first 5k in Feb at Disney and thinking about doing the 10K as well. I'm just wondering what are some of your "must have" for your races, trying to figure out what i might want to invest in! Thanks!! Any tips or suggestions welcome!

Looking for some running friends to help push me! Please add me!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Must haves:

1) the right running shoes (get fitted at a running specialty store)
    2) comfortable clothes (preferably wicking)
    3) sunglasses and a hat
    4) a kick *kitten* attitude

that's all you need. It's all in your attitude and your training. Take your time building up your distances, cross train (swim, bike, row etc) and strength train and you'll kill it.
  • kajungrill
    kajungrill Posts: 50 Member
    Must haves:

3) sunglasses and a hat

that's all you need. It's all in your attitude and your training. Take your time building up your distances, cross train (swim, bike, row etc) and strength train and you'll kill it.

While at the running store get the right bra for you! The right bra a MUST while running -if you've got boobs!
  • 2dayirunforme
    2dayirunforme Posts: 171 Member
    Must haves:

3) sunglasses and a hat

While at the running store get the right bra for you! The right bra a MUST while running -if you've got boobs!

^^ This
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Really awesome shoes AND socks (that combination helps to avoid blisters). And comfy running shorts that don't irritate your skin.
  • kimcatus
    kimcatus Posts: 27
    Must haves:

3) sunglasses and a hat

^^ This

Yup. All of the above!! Although I ran my first 5k in old shoes, and a cotton shirt. Youch. lol
  • ^^What they've all said. Be sure to test anything you're planning to use come race day during your training- NEVER do or use anything new on race day. That goes for food, how you run, clothing, music, whatever. It should all be tried and true for YOU. I always take my iPhone on any run, but for races, I love being able to take pics with it. =)
    Also, on the back of your bib (race number), be sure to put your emergency contact info, just in case of *whatever*.
    Happy running!!
  • JENNIENS
    JENNIENS Posts: 81 Member
    THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS! I might need a new outfit. I got really itchy when i started getting sweaty in my current outfit! Wasn't good!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Yes, yes, and yes to all of the above!!! As you more into running, you may want to look into a RoadID. It is a bracelet, or shoe tag that has your emergency information on it in case you can't talk. Biggest thing is to have fun! Feel free to add me! I love having running friends :)
  • beckieliz
    beckieliz Posts: 3
    everyone has the right idea....get good shoes (if you have a store near you that fits you based on your feet and how you run, its totally worth it) Also get good dry fit socks and spend the money to get a good bra! I also recommend running apps on your phone such as RunKeeper or C25k. Good luck!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Must haves:

3) sunglasses and a hat

This. Take a camera too. I want to do the only at Disney too and have been told a camera is a must since all the characters are out in full force.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    You've had great advice so far. One other thing I'll add is that when you are researching races to sign up for, pay attention to what kind of shirts they are giving away (if any). Find a race that gives away tech shirts and build up your inventory of those. I don't run in anything else because I hate how hot I get in cotton. Helps a lot in my opinion and if you're running the race anyway, may as well get a good shirt from it. :wink:
  • JENNIENS
    JENNIENS Posts: 81 Member
    You've had great advice so far. One other thing I'll add is that when you are researching races to sign up for, pay attention to what kind of shirts they are giving away (if any). Find a race that gives away tech shirts and build up your inventory of those. I don't run in anything else because I hate how hot I get in cotton. Helps a lot in my opinion and if you're running the race anyway, may as well get a good shirt from it. :wink:

Oh i know i need more clothes... I wore a normal workout pants to run in when it was humid outside! OMGoodness! i was so itchy it in. NEED MORE CLOTHES! lol