Jogging/Running tips?

I want to start running but I have no idea where to start. Every time I do run I just feel stupid. Anyone have any suggestions/tips?

Replies

• alexadevyn
    alexadevyn Posts: 26
    Just start! Select either a distance or time limit, when I started I chose 30 min daily. Then I just got up, put my shoes on, and went. If I could only jog from light post to light post and I had to stop and walk - so be it. Eventually I was able to jog the full 30 min. Don't allow not knowing be your excuse for not beginning. The wonderful thing about running is you really cannot do it wrong. The only thing I might suggest is having quality shoes.

You've motivated me go knock the dust off of mine. Thanks!
  • ryanna01
    ryanna01 Posts: 67 Member
    Just start! Select either a distance or time limit, when I started I chose 30 min daily. Then I just got up, put my shoes on, and went. If I could only jog from light post to light post and I had to stop and walk - so be it. Eventually I was able to jog the full 30 min. Don't allow not knowing be your excuse for not beginning. The wonderful thing about running is you really cannot do it wrong. The only thing I might suggest is having quality shoes.

You've motivated me go knock the dust off of mine. Thanks!
    What kind of shoes would you recommend? Right now I have a pair of Nikes
  • alexadevyn
    alexadevyn Posts: 26
    My feet are very very very flat and I love my Asics. An old running partner of mines loves her Nikes, but they don't work for me at all. It just depends on your feet, mechanics, pronation, etc. I cannot help you with that. I have no doubt there are 100 of people out there who are much more educated on helping you determine those things. I always purchase my running shoes 1/2 size up or I have toe nail issues. I would just start with what you have, listen to your body, and maybe do some research. I love runners world and roadrunnersports.com
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Get a pair of shoes that fit from a running store where they can fit you properly.

Or don't wear shoes.

Or buy a pair of minimalist shoes.

Or just wear your Nikes and put one foot in front of the other.

Running is one of the simplest exercises on Earth. Don't overcomplicate it. People have been running for thousands of years without running stores, without shoes, and without a program.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    The c25k program made a runner out of me. Great program that goes for about 9 weeks, and has you training 3 days a week. Starts you out slow with intervals of walking and running, gradually building up the run times until you're running 30 minutes without stopping.

Google it - there are several programs out there, all pretty much the same, and there are many apps you can download (I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs - worked great), which lay out the whole program for you, give you all the warm up, walk & run prompts, right through cool down. Many work with your music playlists so you can listen to whatever you like while you're out there.

Get good shoes - fitted at a running store if you can, or at least a pair that is reasonably new, has good tread and support. Stick to the program, don't do extra days or try to rush through it, even if it seems easy at first - this helps you avoid injury. Go slow - slow running is still running! Go as slowly as you need to in order to complete each session. Don't worry about the distance, just complete the time - speed and distance will come later.
  • issyjmc
    issyjmc Posts: 5 Member
    I started with the c25k program. I had one terrible start until I sprung for fitted shoes. They made all the difference. My other advice is to get some synthetic socks to help avoid blisters. There are lots of great running blogs and communities on Facebook. They are a great resource for learning the ins and outs. Take it one step at a time.
  • xxhieixx
    xxhieixx Posts: 89 Member
    I also started with the c25k program. In fact I just got done with my first week. I use shape ups since I stand all day at work and that's the shoes I've always wore. I have a pair for normal stuff and working out and a pair for work
  • I would highly suggest getting fitted for shoes, but you can wait until you've gotten some momentum going (maybe as a reward when you can run a mile without walking or something?)
    Couch to 5K, or C25K, is a very popular program, and I would highly suggest checking into it. There are both a website and an app for it. In my case, I was SO out of shape that it was too fast for me, so I mentally figured out a loop around my neighborhood that I figured would take about 30 minutes, and I would run a block, walk a block. Then I'd run 2, walk 1 when I was able to do 1:1. Then I ran 3, walked 1. Eventually I decided to see how far I could go, and I ran about 3/4 of my loop. I soon started adding in more distance, and I kept short walk intervals in for a very long time on most of my runs. I've been a big believer in running by feel, and even now that I am marathon training, I go more by how my body feels that day than what my training plan says. I get better results that way, and I keep myself from getting injured.
    Good luck, and happy running!!