Training for my first Triathlon.

So I decided to take a leap and try out a triathlon. It is a Super Spring so not nearly as long as a traditional tri.

350m swim, 12 mile bike, 2 mile run

I have about 60 days to get my act together. I am not looking to compete... but just actually finish the race. I purchased a bike and have been cycling 4-5 days a week right now mostly pulling my 2 boys in a trailer bc otherwise I wouldn't be able to get out and ride. I found a few sources on line for training guides but am told that the swim may be the biggest hurdle to work on.

Any thoughts or experiences? I am a little nervous.

Replies

• zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Marking my place on this thread. I'm doing my first Try-a-Tri on August 18. 375 metre swim, 10K bike and 2.5K run.

I've found this site quite informative: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/

I've seen training schedules posted online, but had to make my own as I also play hockey 2-4x a week. This is my ideal schedule...but life has a habit of messing up my plans!

C25K Mon, Wed, Fri (I am not a runner, so the run is the scariest part for me)
    Tues & Sat swim
    Thurs & Sun bike

I've also heard that the swim is the toughest part. Personally, I'm a very strong swimmer (used to swim competitively), but I've been warned it's a whole different world in open water and with all the other triathletes splashing and kicking around you. But that's come from my friends who aren't as comfortable in the water nor as strong swimmers as I am. My plan is to swim "wide" so I'm not in the mayhem of the pack, and to swim slowly & steadily. Fortunately, I will be able to practice in open water - to get the hang of sighting, etc. With Tri swimming, I've seen it recommended to use your arms more so you don't tire out your legs. Learn to breathe on both sides.

Feel free to add me as a friend. And I look forward to coming back to this thread to see other replies!
  • KaseyGirl00
    KaseyGirl00 Posts: 2 Member
    I am also training for a triathlon for this Sept. I am using the 12 week training for the sprint triathlon that is posted on irongirl.com website. I am not a swimmer at.all so that is what I am working on. I wish you the best!!

My husband just did his first triathlon last Sunday. I was so proud that he did it that I decided to push myself to do it as well. It's going to be the hardest thing I have ever done. My advice is to watch as many youtube videos in triathlons. Get as much info as you can. Learn about way to transition easier. Read blogs from people who have done one. My husband had a lot of trouble getting his wet suit off after the swim...he had never taken it off wet and he couldn't use his legs much after the swim. Get body glide to help with putting it on and taking off. There is so much info on the internet. I suggest research as much as you train. And everyone says no matter how great of a swimmer you are...train some in the open water! Good luck!!
  • Hudds925
    Hudds925 Posts: 12 Member
    Hi,

I've been doing tris for a couple of years now.

Couple of general advice:

1) if you swim with in the pack you'll save yourself energy (about 30% of energy)

2) Practice 'bricking' going from bike to run - your legs feel alien to your body.

3) Practice your transition, where you place your running shoes v your cycle shoes etc. Work out where you exit transition when you're there and setting up. Oh and there are certain rules. Can't remove your helmet before the bike is racked.

I've some more pearls of wisdom but run the risk of sounding boring!
  • Hi,

I've been doing tris for a couple of years now.

Couple of general advice:

1) if you swim with in the pack you'll save yourself energy (about 30% of energy)

2) Practice 'bricking' going from bike to run - your legs feel alien to your body.

3) Practice your transition, where you place your running shoes v your cycle shoes etc. Work out where you exit transition when you're there and setting up. Oh and there are certain rules. Can't remove your helmet before the bike is racked.

I've some more pearls of wisdom but run the risk of sounding boring!
    ^^THIS!
    Practice open water swimming, because it IS very different than lap swimming, and you need to get used to the change in energy used (you don't get the rest you'd get from pushing off the wall, for example), and you need to get used to sighting, not to mention the group swim environment.
    I do a short run after nearly every bike ride, just to keep my legs used to the sensation. It can be absolutely SHOCKING how much your legs literally feel like you have cement blocks attached to them (hence the term "brick training").
    There's a fantastic book by Sally Edwards called Triathlon for Women. GET IT ASAP. Flip to the sections you need right away, but take the time to read it cover to cover as soon as you can.
    If you can, go to a triathlon and watch, sooner rather than later. Watch the transition area especially, because you'll learn a TON about how people do things. You can pick up tricks that may or may not work for you.
  • My first TRI will be in a 50m lap pool so no open water for me (yet). I am trying to do to activities a day and taking one day a week off for right now. I have about 5 weeks to prepare left. I always thought I was a strong swimmer... but that seems to not be the case so I am swimming laps for now in a 25m pool at the local Y to get practice in. I dont think my swim is efficient or especially fast but not sure how much help a swim coach can be in such a short time. My goal right now is to just finish the race and not die out there.

I did purchase a heart rate monitor so I can keep up with times, calories, and to keep me from over exherting myself too quickly.

Gonna definitely have to buy the book and start reading.