Good way to tighten my biceps?

Hey, I'm just starting out. I've been tubby for quite some time, and lost a bunch of weight last year. Now I'm trying to get fit and lose a bit more. So what's a good way to tighten my triceps? I've got the whole flabby thing going on, and while I've gain a little muscle, my old exercises aren't doing much anymore. Anyone have ideas? :flowerforyou:

(Yes, triceps are what I meant! I was writing in a rush! :blushing: So sorry.)

Replies

• Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    All.jpg

Yo mean the triceps as in the bottom of the arm?

Per Ian King: Tesch reviewed twenty triceps exercises and identified which heads of the tricep were primarily trained by which exercises. The more a certain head is targeted, the more stars it gets. His summary is as follows:

French press with EZ bar:

Lateral Head: *

Long Head: **

Medial Head: *

French press with EZ bar on decline bench

Lateral Head: **

Medial Head: **

Supine triceps extension with dumbbell and neutral grip

Long Head: *

Overhead triceps extensions with dumbbell and neutral grip

Overhead triceps extensions with dumbbell and rotation

Overhead triceps extensions with reverse grip

Standing French press with straight bar

Triceps pushdown with straight bar and narrow grip

Triceps pushdown with rope

Triceps pushdown with angled bar

One-arm triceps pushdown

One-arm triceps pushdown with reverse grip

Bench press with narrow grip

Parallel bar dip with neutral grip

Bench dip

Pullover with EZ bar and narrow grip

Military press with straight bar, behind neck

Long Head: nil

Standing dumbbell press

Long Head: nil

• kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    it sounds like you are talking about your triceps. You could try assisted dips or the tricep dip machine.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Just to clarify, my previous post listed 20 different triceps exercises and listed which exercise stimulates which part of the triceps. The triceps muscle is composed of three parts: a long head, lateral head, and medial head. Pick an exercise or three that stimulates all three heads of the triceps the best according to the previous post, look the exercise up on Youtube.

Triceps.jpg
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Hey, I'm just starting out. I've been tubby for quite some time, and lost a bunch of weight last year. Now I'm trying to get fit and lose a bit more. So what's a good way to tighten my triceps? I've got the whole flabby thing going on, and while I've gain a little muscle, my old exercises aren't doing much anymore. Anyone have ideas? :flowerforyou:

(Yes, triceps are what I meant! I was writing in a rush! :blushing: So sorry.)

What your trying to refer to is that section of fat that hangs slightly at the bottom when you strike a bicep pose ... Basically a bit of fat in your arms ... To lose this, it's largely to drop your body fat percentage even lower, to make it appear less, you want bigger muscles: do compound movements around your upper body eg. Bench press, chest press, lat pull downs, pullovers etc. you can gain quite a lot of muscle just those alone without specifically targeting them but if you incorporate isolation movements it can help a bit more... Tricep push downs, skull crushers (even though I never do these), tricep extensions, bicep curls, hammer curls etc. use a moderate weight where you fail at the 8th-12th rep and you should do wonders.
    Good luck!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    isolation arm exercises are a waste of time that could be spent doing full body movements or cardio.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    isolation arm exercises are a waste of time that could be spent doing full body movements or cardio.

lololol
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member

Please stop giving terrible advice.
  • Keep shedding the fat, in addition to strengthening your whole body, but tricep extensions, skull crushers, tricep kickbacks, tricep dips, and push ups are all great for the triceps. Chattarunga pushups are KILLER- you keep your elbows in (if you're familiar with the yoga move, it helps!).
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Tense them.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Get me a wrench and i will tighten it for you
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

while this statement is completely false, i will agree with the sentiment that if your arms are flabby, there's probably more flab on other parts of your body. you can't just work your arms and hope they get "tighter". work your whole body, maintain a calorie deficit and have patience while the process does it's thing
  • in general, muscles are always firm. if your muscles seem flabby, its because there's fat over them or 'marbled' through it. The only thing to do is to lose more weight to expose the muscle, and/or enlarge the muscle through strength training to make it large enough to be visible through the fat, if you've a particularly unmuscular physique.

diet and exercise (of any kind, cardio, lifting anything) will help you lose the fat.
  • I have been working hard to get rid of flabby arms. I find chin ups help me really well and tricep push ups on toes.

Feel free to add me! I am always on the hunt for inspirations!