New to running HELP!

2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    do a C25K program...it'll start you off the way you're supposed to start off...nice and slow. It's really easy to overtrain with running and injure yourself. If you're not experienced, I definitely recommend an actual training program to get you there injury free. Also...good shoes...don't get chincey with the shoes.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    ETA: Drink about a litre of water an hour or so before going for your run so you ensure you're properly hydrated and won't get thirsty during your run. I made the mistake of not doing so in the beginning, therefore needing to drink water while running. This caused me to have cramps and I had to stop my run sooner than I'd wanted to.

Proper hydration doesn't occur from a liter of water prior to a run. Proper hydration takes place by drinking enough fluids every day. You can't make up for a deficit prior to your run. Many people would also find a liter of water sloshing around in their stomach to be rather unpleasant.

Also, the link between dehydration and cramping appears to have been vastly overstated. Cramping has been shown to be caused by two things. Heredity and asking muscle tissues to perform beyond what they have been trained for.
  • lbpowers0506
    lbpowers0506 Posts: 31 Member
    Couch to 5K is an awesome thing and breathing IS key. Don't try to run a marathon on the first day... just do what you can and walk when you need to. Remember to set a pace you can live with and keep that pace as you go. You'll notice you can go faster and longer as time progresses!

Also... a good pair of running shoes always helps! If you can get fitted for a pair where you live, it is a good idea!

(I also like to use RunKeeper on my phone- I carry it with me on my runs in an arm band I got at Walmart- RunKeeper uses GPS to keep track of what you've done, how long it took you to do it and an estimate of how many calories you've burned! It's helpful in keeping up with what you've done over a long period of time!

Happy running!

P.S- Everyone is right... keeping hydrated throughout the day is really important too! (Plus you get to track your water on MFP!)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    I started 6 weeks ago. Can go 5-6 km now at 7-8km/h, a slight hill is no problem. I also do interval training on the tread mill 2 x per week. I started with 10 min 6-6.5km/h on a tread mill. That helps you keep a slow steady pace. Most of us just start too fast. if you are a fit walker you should see good results soon. But as in another post, for now shuffle. Maybe use an hrm to keep yourself at a puls that will allow you to keep going.
  • Thanks Everyone! I did just download the C25K app. Haven used it yet but maybe that will help. Maybe I was trying to go way too fast? It's weird I totally had a dream last night that I was jogging at a very slow pace for a really long time... I secretly always wanted to be a runner, kind of like a bucket list kind of thing.
    That's basically what you need to do in the beginning. Literally, about the same pace as your walking. My first miles were at about a 16 minute pace. Even C25K was too fast for me, so I would run a block, walk a block. Then I built up to run 2, walk 1. Then run 3, walk 1. Now I can run for hours! I'm marathon training right now, and I plan to get into ultra distance in another year or so (once I finish nursing school). Like you, I always dreamed of *someday* being a runner, even though I'd always hated, no, H A T E D running. The best thing you can do is get one foot in front of the other! =)
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Even in high school I was never a runner. I was Billy Whizz over the 100m but ask me to do 400m and I'd be walking along the back straight to put the fire out in my lungs!

30yrs later and ooohh .. lots of lbs heavier and I'm doing the C25K programme and loving it. To put it into perspective, at 44 already I can run a longer continuous distance than I could at 14yrs old and the only reason for it is this time, I've got my little lady on the NHS C25K podcast teaching me how to do it properly rather than my goat of a gym teacher bellowing at me to go faster lol
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    I remember very clearly how long it took me to become a runner...the first time I tried to run 4k non stop it was incredibly hard and I'd been working up to it for a couple of months by then! I did a 5k Race for Life, set off too fast and had to walk from 4k to 4.5k then ran to finish. This was about 10 years ago! I've had breaks from running since then, but have got back into it and it's never as hard as it was the first time. Now I'm running 3-4 times a week, usually at 9k/h unless I want to make more of an effort! I've got my 5k time down to 29:30 and could do it quicker without trying too hard. Next goals are 12k non-stop and sub 1 hour 10k.

I recently joined Audible...having some fab music or a really absorbing book to listen to make the miles pass much more quickly for me.
  • I been a wannabe for around two years, whenever i start i go too fast, too quickly with poor form and bad shoes...

that`s until this attempt.

i reaserched correct runing form {yes there is a proper efficent way of running} and started out doing half a mile at around 6.5mph, i have decent cardio ability but have never had the ability to move my fat *kitten* by running.

i kept the speed the same and simply upped the distance by 0.1 of a mile a day/session i could feel the shin splints mildly coming on and also mild knee pains - but i put this down to actually using these bodily parts.

ok so now i have passed the 5 mile mark, no more shin slpints, no pains, have upped the speed to 8mph on an endurance run - i consider myself a strong runner.... in 8 WEEKS!

friday i completed the cooper test and come in with 2800 meters in 12 mins - which is at the bottom of the top group "excellent"... this was along side other "fit people" who do massive amounts of spinning... dont get me wrong any cardio is good for you but running is the one that forces change, rapid change to the body!....

tips
    *good form
    *good shoes
    *go slow
    *go short

always up your distance every workout so you feel you have smashed your last attempt - BUT be thankful of small victories!

running is easier when you are light, but to get light you have to run.... :s
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    I been a wannabe for around two years, whenever i start i go too fast, too quickly with poor form and bad shoes...

that`s until this attempt.

i reaserched correct runing form {yes there is a proper efficent way of running} and started out doing half a mile at around 6.5mph, i have decent cardio ability but have never had the ability to move my fat *kitten* by running.

i kept the speed the same and simply upped the distance by 0.1 of a mile a day/session i could feel the shin splints mildly coming on and also mild knee pains - but i put this down to actually using these bodily parts.

ok so now i have passed the 5 mile mark, no more shin slpints, no pains, have upped the speed to 8mph on an endurance run - i consider myself a strong runner.... in 8 WEEKS!

friday i completed the cooper test and come in with 2800 meters in 12 mins - which is at the bottom of the top group "excellent"... this was along side other "fit people" who do massive amounts of spinning... dont get me wrong any cardio is good for you but running is the one that forces change, rapid change to the body!....

tips
    *good form
    *good shoes
    *go slow
    *go short

always up your distance every workout so you feel you have smashed your last attempt - BUT be thankful of small victories!

running is easier when you are light, but to get light you have to run.... :s

Any specific site for form research help the most - I'm finding conflicting information. What worked for you, I am starting by c25K Wednesday - can't wait.
  • just watch a lot of youtube videos and picked out the items that sounded plausable...

i focused on:-

overstride
    arm position 90 degrees at elbow
    arm movement - not crossing your chest only for/aft.. (you may look like a dumb *kitten* moving your arms like a sprinter at 5mph but when you hit 8 you feel the benefit!!)
    fists - never clenched - wasted energy
    relaxed face

i think techique is critical, like i say i out performed one of the biggest cardio junkies in our gym on friday - his technique had what i consider waste amrs tucked into chest,moving side to side at the midrift and clenced fists!!
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Just started last week so we can do this together :) I've been walking 15 minute miles, in 2 mile increments since March, and decided to start running because my kid's school is doing a 5k fundraiser this fall. I've been incorporating the running into my walking routine-walkiing 1.5 miles and run the last .5 mile. I started needing 6 walking breaks for the .5 but this morning I only did one walking break, for three driveways :) Tommorow I'm going to try to do the whole .5 mile with no walking. I also got myself a pair of shoes, since that's supposed to be super important. Got some Fila skele-toes, wild lol. Love them though :)
  • CarleyJo89
    CarleyJo89 Posts: 18 Member
    In November last year I'd never ran before in my life so I decided to sign up for a 10k (intelligent thing to do I know!!). But it gave me something to aim for, I had 6months to be able to run 10k without stopping. The first 3 weeks were the hardest weeks of my life, I thought i'd never be able to do it.

I started running with people from work, it hurt like hell but I got this mentality of 'if they're not stopping neither am I'. It was hard, very hard but eventuality it got easier! And in May I ran 10k in 1hr 8mins. Not super fast but its a time I can work with. My next goal is to do 10k in 1hr. I did 5k today in 29 minutes so i'm on the way!

All i'd say is make sure you have good trainers, something to aim for and good people around you to keep you motivated!
  • pmcbrady
    pmcbrady Posts: 31
    I echo the c25K program as a great place to start. I started 3 weeks ago, couldn't run the 60 seconds the first time (I'm 100lbs over weight) and decided I would keep redoing the week until I could do all the running portions for the full 60 seconds. It took me two weeks. I started week 2 that has 90 seconds runs. The first two days I still had to walk the final run, today I ran all of them! I will redo the week so that I run all of them for 3 days. I've read over and over that the key is to run slower than you think you should. I've started doing that and it is helping me to make the distance. I've talked to some seasoned runners and they all said the same thing, run at a pace so you can actually run all the parts andkeep building up distance. The time for speed is after you can run the entire thing. Good luck! Oh, yes I did invest in good shoes and that has really helped in two ways, number one my feet and legs feel much better and number two, it makes me use them otherwise I"d feel guilty having spent that much money to let them sit in the closet!
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    In November last year I'd never ran before in my life so I decided to sign up for a 10k (intelligent thing to do I know!!). But it gave me something to aim for, I had 6months to be able to run 10k without stopping. The first 3 weeks were the hardest weeks of my life, I thought i'd never be able to do it.

I started running with people from work, it hurt like hell but I got this mentality of 'if they're not stopping neither am I'. It was hard, very hard but eventuality it got easier! And in May I ran 10k in 1hr 8mins. Not super fast but its a time I can work with. My next goal is to do 10k in 1hr. I did 5k today in 29 minutes so i'm on the way!

All i'd say is make sure you have good trainers, something to aim for and good people around you to keep you motivated!

That is awesome ! I need to look for a local race in the fall as my goal.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    do a C25K.
    It is Couch to 5k.... Designed to introduce running a little at a time until you can do 20 minutes at a time.
    The program I'm doing is a 10 week.... I'm going with some of my friends who need a longer program. I saw a 4 week program too.
    Week 1 was do a warm-up walk for 5 minutes then (run 1 minute/ walk 2 minutes)* seven times = 21 minutes - cool down walk
    This week is warm up- (run 2 minutes/ walk 2 minutes) five times= 20 minutes- cool down walk
    They were specific that the run wasn't supposed to be too hard. You were supposed to be able to talk complete scentences when running so it is more like a jog than a full out run.
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    When I started running a year and a half ago. I ran for 15 minutes, came home collapsed in a heap onto the floor near the door wheezing and feeling like I was about to die and I said "That was awesome!"
    You have to build up slowly and yeah it will suck at first but it is worth it. Even at the beginning I would have a few minutes in all the torture where I felt serene and amazing.
  • Some good stuff on this topic from people with all sorts of different experiences.. One thing is common on all posts determination, "if they aren't stopping neither am i"
  • fitnewlife
    fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
    ETA: Drink about a litre of water an hour or so before going for your run so you ensure you're properly hydrated and won't get thirsty during your run. I made the mistake of not doing so in the beginning, therefore needing to drink water while running. This caused me to have cramps and I had to stop my run sooner than I'd wanted to.
    [/quote]

Proper hydration doesn't occur from a liter of water prior to a run. Proper hydration takes place by drinking enough fluids every day. You can't make up for a deficit prior to your run. Many people would also find a liter of water sloshing around in their stomach to be rather unpleasant.

Also, the link between dehydration and cramping appears to have been vastly overstated. Cramping has been shown to be caused by two things. Heredity and asking muscle tissues to perform beyond what they have been trained for.

I agree. Drinking too much water right before running can be uncomfortable. You have to drink water daily and all day instead of right before running. Besides who wants to have stop during a run to find a place to go potty. I was told to try to drink half my body weight daily.

I agree.

[/quote]