How often do you weigh yourself?

I have been weighing myself every day for many years and it is frustrating at times.
Also I don't remember how to show my food logging. I have it hidden now and changed my mind.
Thanks!
Kathy

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Never
  • lafferty4
    lafferty4 Posts: 10
    Once a week. The body fluctuates during the week so it's best to weigh around the same time wearing the same clothes or nothing at all.
  • 2horsestoride
    2horsestoride Posts: 37 Member
    I weigh myself everyday. It's what works for me. To make your diary public, go into settings, diary setting and choose public at the bottom of the page.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    I weigh every morning. It gives me motivation to keep pushing forward.
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    More than I should. I'm hoping to get to a point where I can mark my progress purely by progress pics and whether or not my clothes fit ;)

Regular scale weighing isn't ideal.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    When I was going through my journey, I weighed myself once a month. It helped me from being obsessed with the numbers(and it was always great seeing a bigger weight loss than just a pound or two) I also took measurements once a month.

Now that I am in Maintenance mode, I weight myself bi-weekly.
  • pmary665
    pmary665 Posts: 10 Member
    About once a week on Saturday or Sunday first thing in the morning with just my underwear on. i make sure I have gotten enough rest also, because I hold on to water when I am lacking sleep.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Once a week only, first thing in the morning.
  • justaloozer
    justaloozer Posts: 122 Member
    Every single day. I jot down my weight daily too but only log it into MFP 1x a week.
  • 2horsestoride
    2horsestoride Posts: 37 Member

Regular scale weighing isn't ideal.

Out of curiosity, why do you believe that? For me, weighing everyday keeps me on track and I'm sure there are others that feel the same. I'm an educated adult and understand the daily fluctuations that can, and do, happen. What I take away from it is being able to see how my choices have affected me. Just another piece of data used in ensuring healthy choices, balanced with real life scenarios.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,714 Member
    Daily, at the same time every day, so that I can map trends. I take the rough with the smooth and try not to let the scale ruin my day...
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I weigh myself daily, but only record my Wednesday weigh in.
  • kesslertg
    kesslertg Posts: 54 Member
    Was doing the daily weigh thing. Realized that the number was the primary focus and that was not right.

Decided that how much and what types of food I consume at each meal deserves 100% of my focus, not a number. Decided I need to "be present" when eating and deciding to eat. That is the right thing for me to focus on ....

If clothes start to feel looser that is good feedback. If not then I'm not focusing on managing my relationship with food.

So .... IMHO, weigh no more than once per week.

Stay focused on the right things.
    Tom
  • Montco
    Montco Posts: 19
    It is completely an individual thing.

Don't listen to those who are adamant that weighing daily is "bad". Daily weighing keeps me a lot more honest than weighing once a week would. You can weigh yourself daily, weekly, monthly, or whatever else floats your boat.

There is no right or wrong way.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    I used to weigh myself every week but now I have changed it to weighing once a day as naked as the day you were born and after going to the loo. I know its wrong to weigh every day but strangely can't help it and if I am up I always get disappointed.
  • chandanders
    chandanders Posts: 51 Member
    I think that it's a completely individual thing. If you find it discouraging, then you need to start weighing yourself only once a week. I think most people don't like the idea of daily weight checks because it can cause an obsession with a number rather than looking at other factors, like how your pants fit, or better endurance during workouts.

Try different methods and see what works for you :)
  • JankaLee
    JankaLee Posts: 35 Member
    It is completely an individual thing.

Don't listen to those who are adamant that weighing daily is "bad". Daily weighing keeps me a lot more honest than weighing once a week would. You can weigh yourself daily, weekly, monthly, or whatever else floats your boat.

There is no right or wrong way.

Agreed 100%
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Once a week.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    For me, weighing everyday keeps me on track and I'm sure there are others that feel the same. I'm an educated adult and understand the daily fluctuations that can, and do, happen. What I take away from it is being able to see how my choices have affected me. Just another piece of data used in ensuring healthy choices, balanced with real life scenarios.

THIS works for me, too. If I didn't weigh every day I would think I could "cheat" at the beginning of the week and catch up before weighing. For me, at least, therein lies disaster.

Know thyself. What works for you works for you. Try a few until you know what that is. Nothing else matters.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Every single day. I jot down my weight daily too but only log it into MFP 1x a week.

Me too. As far as tracking goes, I am fully aware that daily living (sodium intake from previous day, TOM, a day here or there with more calories, etc) makes it fluctuate from day to day. I don't get too worked up if I get on the scale and it's up a pound or two from the day before.....it just reinforces the idea that on that day, I really have to be mindful.

I find that it is far easier to do something about 2 lbs than waking up one day and realizing you have gained 10!

This system may not be the best for you, though. Some people need to track every day to keep themselves "honest" and on track. Whatever works for you though, depending on your activity level and what you eat...