Nutrition info from recipe books

Options
Le_Joy
Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
So my ice cream recipe book says pb cup ice cream makes 14 servings @ 261 cals per serving. It includes 3/4 cup sugar, 1 1/8 cup peanut butter, 1.25 cups whole milk, 1 cup pb cup candy & 2 cups heavy cream. At a glance I was like there is no way that is only 261 cals. Added it to mfp & even using low fat milk, whipping instead of heavy cream, and less candy than they suggest mine is 300 cals per serving. And my changes saved about 400 cals for the whole recipe. This is part of why losing weight is hard. Inaccurate info all over the place!

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    It's probably accurate info for the specific brands and items they used for the recipe, which of course were not described in the recipe book.

This happens all the time. That's why I enter all my recipes into MFP using the exact brands of food items that I would personally use and see what happens. Oftentimes I have to adjust the number of servings to make it work, but sometimes that also means making the servings bigger! For some reason, recipe books like meals that are 200-300 calories which would make me freakin' starve, so it works out that I get to eat more!
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    While it does sound inaccurate- you need to take into account the volume of the finished product. Ice cream expands and so the 1 cup of finished product is not 1 cup of mixture.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It said 14 - 1/2 cup servings. I was basing it on the 14, not the volume it would make. And with basic things like milk & sugar I don't think there would be as much variation as they say. I wish I could find some sugar and heavy cream and whole milk with less calories but they don't exist. Well they do but then they aren't called heavy or whole or real sugar...