July 1 MFP Runner's Club

Replies

• areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Today I had an 8 mile run. The weather was nice and cool and no wind!!! YEAH!! It was a great run, wish I could have gone more, but work!
  • bellmom627
    bellmom627 Posts: 195
    Ran 1.5 miles this morning. Just getting into it. It was a pretty sucky run actually, I think I went out to fast because the morning was so beautiful. I had to stop and stretch my calves about 1/4 of the way through and then I had to stop and walk twice. It was weird because I haven't had to do that before and this is my third time out! This IS the first morning run I've done. I'm trying to switch from evenings because the neighborhood is kinda creepy when it gets too dark.
  • Good morning!

Today is a rest day for me. I got out for a wonderful 2 mile walk with my daughter. It was a perfect morning for a run. Go figure! On my rest day the temperature was 69 degrees and ONLY 55% humidity.

Enjoy the day:flowerforyou:
    -Kechie.

So what days do you use as a rest day? Just every Tueday or what? :smile:

Rest days -- I usually only run 4 days a week. I know for me when I start getting 30-40 miles a week in I have to have rest days. Right now I'm doing 27-30 miles a week and I do a spin class one day a week and I have two full rest days - one of those days I'll do yoga if I get around to it. I'm getting old though - 36 this summer - and I find that my body needs time to repair from my long runs.

It's okay to take a rest day and actually is better for you. Do you currently run every day of the week? What kind of distance do you do?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Today I had an 8 mile run. The weather was nice and cool and no wind!!! YEAH!! It was a great run, wish I could have gone more, but work!

You're amazing!!! Great job!!! :drinker:
  • Good morning all....

Thank you for the warm welcome yesterday. It's really nice to be welcomed - whoever it was that said I could be their coach, ask away! LOL -- I've trained many friends and worked up schedules for races from 5Ks to marathons and don't mind being asked anything. However, I am human, so I don't know it all that's for sure and I'm hoping you all can keep me motivated enough nutrition-wise so that I don't play garbage disposal to my kids' leftovers any more.

Brief history -- I broke my leg last Sept. (non running related event) and had to take 4-5 months off of everything. No running, walking, swimming, elliptical, UB weights only - and well, needless to say I got a bit depressed and started eating. NOT a good combo. Eating and not exercising does not mix. Now that I'm all free to run I have this gelatinous stomach to deal with and it's slowing me down... BIG TIME. My pace is incredibly slow and I can hardly fit in to my running clothes. It's been a hard mental recovery -- more difficult than the physical so I just need to get back to my happy place and lose this nasty 30-lb tire that has attached itself to my midsection. Disgusting!

So, this is my plea for your help too... I'll help you, you help me! :heart:

On the schedule today is 60 min of weight training with my trainer and then a 6 mile run tonight while my girls are at dance. My DH works crazy hours so during the summer I have to either run on the TM which I HATE or run in the heat while my girls take their dance classes.... today will be the heat -- wish me luck and an overcast afternoon!

Shel

Hey Shel, welcome! :flowerforyou:

Good for you getting back into running! That 30 extra pounds will drop in no time!!

Just take care not to re-injure your leg! :flowerforyou:

Training for my first 1/2 marathon in August, I may bend your ear a little bit too!

Good luck tonight! :drinker:

Oh, your first half! That's exciting... you'd better watch out though, you just might get the marathon bug after that -- it happens to a lot of people!

Which half are you doing? I'd love you to bend my ear -- ask anything you need. However, I will warn you, official halfs - I've only done about 5. I have one I'm signed up for in August too -- it's going to be ugly for me -- first race in over a year! :noway: It's on the 2nd.

Do you have any goals for the race? You're going to have a blast!
  • Shannon023

Oh, your first half! That's exciting... you'd better watch out though, you just might get the marathon bug after that -- it happens to a lot of people!

Which half are you doing? I'd love you to bend my ear -- ask anything you need. However, I will warn you, official halfs - I've only done about 5. I have one I'm signed up for in August too -- it's going to be ugly for me -- first race in over a year! :noway: It's on the 2nd.

Do you have any goals for the race? You're going to have a blast!

The only goals I have is to not have to walk any of it and......(:embarassed: ) not to have to use any porta-potties along the way.

I get REALLY tensed up before a run & there are times where I'm just clenching on a run. :embarassed:

{think I'll go change my screen name/pic now} :laugh:

Sooooo happy this topped the page, too. :grumble:
  • The only goals I have is to not have to walk any of it and......(:embarassed: ) not to have to use any porta-potties along the way.

I get REALLY tensed up before a run & there are times where I'm just clenching on a run. :embarassed:

Oh, totally been there! My advice -- and yes, I know this is a bit extreme - but I do an ex-lax the day before. yes, LOL, I clean myself out. That way when the nerves start there is only a little bit of food still in the system. Since I've been doing this I don't have to hit the porta-potties with a nervous tummy. happens to the best of us.

I also eat a bigger meal for lunch and then just a small meal for dinner - and light meal for breakfast. That way you don't have a lot of undigested food sitting in your system.

So.... no worries, it's all for fun, and you'll do great!
  • Shannon023
    The only goals I have is to not have to walk any of it and......(:embarassed: ) not to have to use any porta-potties along the way.

Oh, totally been there! My advice -- and yes, I know this is a bit extreme - but I do an ex-lax the day before. yes, LOL, I clean myself out. That way when the nerves start there is only a little bit of food still in the system. Since I've been doing this I don't have to hit the porta-potties with a nervous tummy. happens to the best of us.

I also eat a bigger meal for lunch and then just a small meal for dinner - and light meal for breakfast. That way you don't have a lot of undigested food sitting in your system.

So.... no worries, it's all for fun, and you'll do great!

Thanks! I'll give it a shot! :flowerforyou:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    happy July my friends!!!:flowerforyou:

I'm home today w/ my pumpkin so we've been in and out of the yard all day...pool too....we'll head out for a run a bit later....its hot and humid...I just can't wait (yes I can!!!) but I gots to do what I gots to do! lmbo:grumble:

I'm gonna go make the boy one of my special grilled cheese sandwiches (swiss and amerian cheese w/ a thin slice of tomato on whole grain bread cooked in buttaaaaaa...lol) and cut up some fruit for the both of us and then I'll head out....wish us luck LOL:ohwell:

I'll catch up w/ you crazy runners later!:wink:
    hugs!
    Ali
  • Shannon023

I'm gonna go make the boy one of my special grilled cheese sandwiches (swiss and amerian cheese w/ a thin slice of tomato on whole grain bread cooked in buttaaaaaa...lol)

Yes, please! drool.gif
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member

I'm gonna go make the boy one of my special grilled cheese sandwiches (swiss and amerian cheese w/ a thin slice of tomato on whole grain bread cooked in buttaaaaaa...lol)

Yes, please! drool.gif

lmbo tell me about it....imagine making it and not having it....sigh....mmm good apple....:grumble:
  • Shannon023

Yes, please! drool.gif

lmbo tell me about it....imagine making it and not having it....sigh....mmm good apple....:grumble:

lol - run that extra mile. Would be worth it! :wink:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Hi everyone - having MAJOR internet issues today at work - will try and post later...

Here is a great link I found....

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-301--10200-1-1X2X3X4X5-6,00.html

xxoo
    Tricia
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Hey everyone.

I haven't checked in for a while. I took a 2 week vacation to Seattle and we got back on Sunday. I did run 2xs while I was away. (It should have been more but I did go to the gym 2x also.)

My system is out of whack right now and I am very tired all the time. Going from West Coast time to East Coast time is not fun. I haven't ran any this week but I hope to do something later in the week. Tomorrow is a class at 5:30 am and next starts boot camp 3 days a week. I am sure we will do plenty of running then.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Good morning!

Today is a rest day for me. I got out for a wonderful 2 mile walk with my daughter. It was a perfect morning for a run. Go figure! On my rest day the temperature was 69 degrees and ONLY 55% humidity.

Enjoy the day:flowerforyou:
    -Kechie.

So what days do you use as a rest day? Just every Tueday or what? :smile:

I rest 3-4 days a week. I rest the day after my long run (7 miles or more). Plus, I rest the day after my tempo and the day after my speed workout days. The temp and speed runs are the runs that make me feel like I might throw up but I don't actually throw up. What I mean is the pace is comfortably hard...

I use customized training schedules from Runners Worlds Smart Coach. You enter your current race time and what distance you want to train for and it gives you a customized training program. The program includes which days to run, how to run, and which days to rest. I love them!

:heart: -Kechie.
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Hi guys,
    It sounds like a lot of people got up early to run today. Kechie, wouldn't you know that your day off from running would be cool and a great day to run! Oh well, at least you took a nice walk. Maybe it will stay cool for a couple of days.

Welcome Shel. Hope you enjoy the group. They've really helped to encourage me.

Today we did a speed workout and since it was a little shorter than usual, we did an arm weight workout also. Then I walked my doggy for about three miles too, just because I'm feeling sorry for her. She's not getting as many walks since we've been training and she can't go that far anymore.

It's another beautiful day here in Oregon. Hope everybody has a good one.
    Terry:happy:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Good morning! Thanks to all who asked about my Mom. She is home from the hospital and doing much better. Tonight I have run with my new training group! I am so excited. We are are training for either or 5k or 10 K. So far I have two votes for the 10 K from you all. Maybe I'll go for it! :smile:
    Bunny

Hi Bunny! Glad to hear your Mom is home.

I vote 10K. I have run a lot of 5Ks. It is not my favorite distance. I find that I am just getting warmed up as the race ends. So I vote 10K b/c I like them more.:laugh:

I can't wait to hear how your training group goes
    :heart: -Kechie.
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Ali,

I just went back and read the rest of yesterday's thread and saw that you asked for suggestions about weight lifting. I decided to add weight lifting into my routine because I keep reading how muscle burns more calories than fat, and I'm all about earning any amount of extra calories! My weight lifting workouts don't burn as many calories as running does, but I'm really trying to mix things up to keep my body guessing and not let it get too used to any one kind of exercise.

Since I've been training for the marathon, I try not to do much lifting in the legs (although I do some for the hamstrings and shins since I read that running builds your quads and calves more so you can become out of balance in your legs). Mostly I do all kinds of arm/shoulder/chest exercises along with lots of core work. I belong to a gym and try to vary my intensity and duration lifting about 3 to 4 times a week along with my runs. I alternate between low weights and faster sets with more repititions (almost aerobic) and slower heavier sets with fewer repetitions.

I'm starting to notice a difference in my arm strength and just beginning to see a little definition plus I think it has helped me to continue losing pounds as I get closer to my goal. I hope this helps, and good luck!
    Terry:flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Ali,

I just went back and read the rest of yesterday's thread and saw that you asked for suggestions about weight lifting. I decided to add weight lifting into my routine because I keep reading how muscle burns more calories than fat, and I'm all about earning any amount of extra calories! My weight lifting workouts don't burn as many calories as running does, but I'm really trying to mix things up to keep my body guessing and not let it get too used to any one kind of exercise.

Since I've been training for the marathon, I try not to do much lifting in the legs (although I do some for the hamstrings and shins since I read that running builds your quads and calves more so you can become out of balance in your legs). Mostly I do all kinds of arm/shoulder/chest exercises along with lots of core work. I belong to a gym and try to vary my intensity and duration lifting about 3 to 4 times a week along with my runs. I alternate between low weights and faster sets with more repititions (almost aerobic) and slower heavier sets with fewer repetitions.

I'm starting to notice a difference in my arm strength and just beginning to see a little definition plus I think it has helped me to continue losing pounds as I get closer to my goal. I hope this helps, and good luck!
    Terry:flowerforyou:

Terry,

Have you tried running with hand weights?? We have a couple 3 lbs hand weights that I want to bring with me on my shorter runs. Gotta get rid of my lunch-lady arms. :embarassed:
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    [
    [/quote]

Hey Bunny,

When is the run? If you have enough time, then consider me a 3rd vote for the 10k. :wink:
    [/quote]

The run is in 10 weeks. 10 weeks to a 10 K. Right now I can run/walk 4 miles but I have never timed how long I run. I just make goals for myself on the road. Tonight I find out the program. With all this encouragement I am just about ready to go for it! :smile: