not a perfect trainer?

I got into a discussion (bordering on argument) about personal trainers.

Would you use a trainer that wasn't "perfect" and was still heavy?

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    One of my favorite group fitness instructors ever was definitely not perfect; I'd guess she was probably 15 lbs overweight. She was AWESOME. Super fit, full of energy, strong, smart, educated. and motivating.

Would I have hired her as a personal trainer? Probably not. "Do as I say, not as I do" does not work for me, as a general rule.
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    I should clarify, that I mean a trainer the same size or smaller than you, but not within the BMI limits.
  • rmontpetit
    rmontpetit Posts: 31 Member
    I guess, for me it would depend on my goal: if it is for a sport like foot ball or other that been heavy could help I would not mind but if it is for weight lost or been really fit I guess I won't
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    They could be currently losing weight and using training as motivation for themselves, as well as to motivate others. I probably wouldn't use a trainer that I wasn't referred to, anyway, unless they came free with a gym membership. :smile: I've never had a trainer, so I don't know if the fact that they weren't super fit would affect the mental part of it.
  • RLDeShazo
    I've never used one either. My conclusion to our "discussion" was that we would look for different things from trainers, therefore what works for him wouldn't work for me. :)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    "Perfect" is a subjective term. Would I work with a trainer who doesn't practice what he/she preaches? No.
  • RLDeShazo
    "Perfect" is a subjective term. Would I work with a trainer who doesn't practice what he/she preaches? No.

would you work with one that does, but isn't there yet? (at their final goal)
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    There was a trainer at my old gym who used to weigh over 300 lb. He was far from perfect.....still had maybe another 20 lb to go, but if you had a lot of weight to lose and were new to exercising, he was your man. He had been there, done that, and knew how to motivate people. A lot of his clients had success in losing 100+ lbs and started exercising for the first time in their lives. He was very dedicated to his clients. I had a lot of respect for him.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member

would you work with one that does, but isn't there yet? (at their final goal)

I don't believe in final goals. If you've reached a goal, it's time to set a new one. So yes, I would work with someone who still has something to shoot for. I would not work with one who is just sort of breezing by.
  • CatMcCheesey
    CatMcCheesey Posts: 143
    I think the most important quality of a good trainer is that they help you get the results you are looking for. Everything else is secondary.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    The best trainer I ever had was a little overweight; he had lost over 80lbs and was still working on himself. He became a trainer because one of his friends had told him with the way he connects with people he would be able to motivate others to better themselves.

His friend was right; I never noticed the extra pounds. I loved that he pushed me every dang day that we met up and he was constantly switching things up and keeping me interested. I also felt I connected with him and was more motivated by him because he had faced some of the same struggles as me. He was a bada$$.