Ugly thighs =(

sevfam
sevfam Posts: 76 Member
I guess I carry all my extra weight on my thighs. =( They are so ugly. Im so depressed. I love summer and they have gotten so bad Im dreading wearing a swim suit. Last year I wore a wrap and even swam with it. This year I bought long board shorts. WTH? How can I firm them up, tone them. I'm happy with my current weight 113, just really hate the lumpy flabby thighs....Ugh. Help.

BTW-Im doing 30 weighted squats a day.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Your body picks where fat comes from, so you need to continue to eat at a deficit. I'd suggest lowering your reps on squats, upping the weight and doing them less frequently. If you're doing 30 a day, you can't be really challenging your muscles all that much. Plus, you need to rest the muscles for at least 24 hours before working them again.
  • Maybe more squats, how much weight?
  • sevfam
    Ok Ill be more precise, I do 30 m-f with 10 pound weights. I do 10 rest 10 rest 10. I eat under my calories just about everyday.I havent been consistent however. But I am back at it.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    So, you're not looking to lose any more weight? Or are you? I am not sure what you mean by ugly thighs. Are your legs thicker than what you want, or just jiggly? In addition to squats and lunges, something that helped me was walking (not running) on a treadmill at a very steep incline. My legs didn't get any smaller, per se, but they didn't jiggle as much, and the cellulite on the backs of my thighs was less noticeable. I'm recovering from an injury so can't do this right now, but I really miss it. I agree with the other poster that you should change up your squat routine. Maybe do higher weights less frequently.

If your goal is to make your thighs smaller overall, you might be out of luck. But you can make them firmer.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Its a cost/benefit thing. sometimes to be a smaller weight we lose some of the features we loved the best, sometimes it can be improved and other times it cant. in my weight loss i have lost a LOT and I have excess skin in my stomach, hips, arms, and thighs. For a while I thought my chest got off free (since I somehow was looking perky and nicely filling out a D cup, then suddenly it too disappeared and I realized that I have no boobs lol (well more like small hangy boobs) But I am not willing to regain the 10 pounds that was the culprit to that loss so I guess unless I go for implants (which I wont) I'm stuck with small boobs. Thank god we have push up bras lol.

But part of the whole weight loss journey is to learn how to feel good about ourselves and out bodies even if its not the exact look we want.

Just be patient and give it time. Hopefully you'll get the results your looking for.
  • Ok Ill be more precise, I do 30 m-f with 10 pound weights. I do 10 rest 10 rest 10. I eat under my calories just about everyday.I havent been consistent however. But I am back at it.

Up the weight for sure! You will see a difference, I promise!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    I don't know how old you are and don't need to but I had a lot more weight to lose and there is no way that extra skin and bumps are going anywhere ever at my age (62). The skin stretched and won't spring back any more. That said, find a swimsuit that has that little short sarong in the front. There are plenty of tankinis that can accentuate the positive and cover the negative. OR have surgery. The other option it don't worry about it. Someone somewhere always looks worse.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    can we see your thighs?
  • sevfam
    Thanks guys. Im 51. I have a treadmill and i love incline walks. I call them wogs. Jog walk jog walk. I dont want my thighs to be smaller. Like I said Im happy with the size of everything and my current weight. They are just cellulite lumpy and bumpy wiggly and giggly. I think age is a huge part of it.

Im going to go back to squats and lunges m and w and walking on the treadmill t and t. I will up the weights as well. I sure hope to see a difference. I wish they made swim capris lol!
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    I know what you mean, .. thighs are such a problem area! Recently, I've noticed that I have a lot less cottage cheese on mine. I mean, I still have it but it's wayyy less. I think it's what I'm eating. And DEFFINITLY, you need to add more weight to your squats. 10lbs, maybe for a beginner but it's time you move up. It's much better to do LESS squats, but with MORE weight. I do 40lbs, with the bar on my back. 20lbs on each side. I've noticed a big difference. MUSCLE is the only thing that can help our theighs.
  • Can we see a picture?
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    The answer lies in strength training. Heavy. Not 10#ers. If you don't have weights or access to weights, then do more challenging bodyweight moves. Single leg squats, single leg hip thrusts, rear foot elevated split squats.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    I feel your pain!

What has helped me A TON is weight lifting. Squats, deadlifts, lunges especially. I started a heavy lifting program using a barbell and plates. I'm using StrongLifts 5x5 and in just over a month have see a nice difference in my thighs. You won't bulk, promise. For the first time my legs are getting firm and LEAN!!!

Good luck :wink:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    I wish they made swim capris lol!

They do at Rail Riders:

http://www.railriders.com/women-water-capri-p-956.html?cPath=125_134
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    More weight, less reps. The difference is amazing!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Squats, Lunges and Step-ups...all while holding about 20+ pounds in each hand. Good luck!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    I am very sorry that at 51 and being in visibly good shape, you still hate parts of your body. I truly hope that some day you learn to love yourself.
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    I know what you mean, .. thighs are such a problem area! Recently, I've noticed that I have a lot less cottage cheese on mine. I mean, I still have it but it's wayyy less. I think it's what I'm eating. And DEFINITELY, you need to add more weight to your squats. 10lbs, maybe for a beginner but it's time you move up. It's much better to do LESS squats, but with MORE weight. I do 40lbs, with the bar on my back. 20lbs on each side. I've noticed a big difference. MUSCLE is the only thing that can help our thighs.

This post is VERY helpful. I was wondering the same thing. Though age isn't a factor for me, my thighs are ok with the exception of the cellulite and flabby upper-inner thigh area. Ugh. But I didn't realize that MORE weight was the answer. Thank you! I was using less weight and more reps! So glad I read this!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    More weight - less reps - Lunges, wall squats will help too - but definitely up the weight - you are not working the muscle at all with 10lbs dumbells - it's a large muscle, you will be surpised how much weight it can handle....