Butter in your coffee?

Replies

• BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Butter in my coffee this morning. Healthy and tasty. Just make sure it's well sourced butter. I recommend Kerrygold pure Irish butter from grass-fed cows.
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    From what I heard, the whole butter-in-coffee thing comes from

Comes from what?!? The suspense is killing me!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    I have a friend who had yak butter tea when he was traveling abroad. Said it wasn't really that bad, honestly. I could see the taste being a little weird, though.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    My father-in-law does this, and he adds salt too! I think it's something from his Army days (Korean War). When I am at their house, I drink tea!

Salt in your coffee actually helps to take the bitterness out of the coffee better than sugar does so you don't have to add as much sugar/cream. It's not like you can taste the salt, you only use a pinch. My husband thought I was crazy when we first got together and he saw me adding salt to the coffee grounds.

Also, butter in your coffee is good.
  • Nah son:indifferent:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    My father-in-law does this, and he adds salt too! I think it's something from his Army days (Korean War). When I am at their house, I drink tea!

Salt in your coffee actually helps to take the bitterness out of the coffee better than sugar does so you don't have to add as much sugar/cream. It's not like you can taste the salt, you only use a pinch. My husband thought I was crazy when we first got together and he saw me adding salt to the coffee grounds.

Also, butter in your coffee is good.

My mom puts a little bit of sugar and salt in black tea when she brews it. You can't taste either, but the result tastes divine.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    This is best done if you use two hands: one to hold the cup with the coffee in it, the other to hold the toast with the butter on it.
  • alliex
    alliex Posts: 35 Member
    I've never heard of this IRL, but I think I remember an episode of The Big Bang Theory where they drink hot drinks with a stick of butter in to prepare for a trip to the north pole.

Also another thing I didn't know of IRL is deep fried mars bars, I thought they were a myth until the fish and chip shop in the village started doing them
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Butter is dairy. Its only slightly different than cream.
    Indeed! I haven't tried it yet but I fully intend to one day.

It can't be any worse than 'fat free half and half' which...what?
    My mom puts a little bit of sugar and salt in black tea when she brews it.
    I am adding this to my list of things to try as well. How much? A pinch?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    This might be the solution to the awful taste of Folgers.

Wrong. There is no solution to the awful taste of Folgers
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Has anybody seen this thing about adding butter and oil to your coffee? Sounds like a recipe for intestinal distress and a spare tire around your middle. http://www.bulletproofexec.com/category/coffee-2/

People doing a strict ketogenic diet do this
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    If you look at the nutritional information on cream and butter, they are pretty damn close... And people don't have a problem with cream in their coffee.

Nutritionally, this wouldn't faze me. But I don't even like cream in my coffee because it tastes too buttery, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy actual butter in my coffee. :drinker:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Butter is dairy. Its only slightly different than cream.
    Indeed! I haven't tried it yet but I fully intend to one day.

It can't be any worse than 'fat free half and half' which...what?
    My mom puts a little bit of sugar and salt in black tea when she brews it.
    I am adding this to my list of things to try as well. How much? A pinch?

A pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar for a 4-cup pot of black tea!

And re: your other point, I'm guessing the people who are surprised at this butter thing must never have accidentally over-whipped cream into butter! It's really the same thing, just with the dairy fat separated from the whey.

Mmm, there's an idea: butter *and* whey powder in your coffee. Okay, maybe not.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    It's good, as is coconut oil. The trick is blending it, not just stirring it.

Just beware that hot liquids will expand in the blender...a lot.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    I know alot of people put coconut oil in the coffee, never heard of butter tho. I like mine black:flowerforyou:

Just about to say I had read in a recent running magazine about putting coconut oil in coffee. Might try it.
  • Livdoesketo
    Livdoesketo Posts: 38 Member
    I love it, I have 2 tsp of butter and 2 tsp of coconut oil in my morning coffee, blended up it's lovely and creamy. Keeps me full from 8am-2pm on 161 calories with no insulin spike.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I threw up in my mouth just reading the title of this thread.
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    This was on the Today show this morning.
    Evidence shows that butter in your coffee helps energy & weight loss if used as a substitute for dessert or even a meal (breakfast).
    A serving of this butter coffee is 100-200 calories. The anchors tried it, Lauer said it was awful while Natalie said it wasn't bad.

I guess don't knock it til you try it! God knows most all of us will try most anything said to improve energy & weight loss!
  • Livdoesketo
    Livdoesketo Posts: 38 Member
    Try it before you knock it, and use proper grass fed butter!