DOMS How Do You Deal With It?

Replies

• gypy
    gypy Posts: 83 Member
    Stretches and BCAA
  • Winston1717
    Winston1717 Posts: 184
    I thought this thread was about an entirely different type of Dom. Sorry.

What does DOMS stand for please?

THIS^^^

I was looking forward to this thread too :(

:laugh:

Sorry...but who knows threads have a tendency to veer off sometimes. :laugh:
  • Winston1717
    If it's really rough, I'll use some IcyHot or any other topical analgesic. If necessary, Ibuprofen. I'm on a 4-day split (chest/legs/shoulders/back) so I've usually already recovered before it's an issue. Make sure that you're getting enough sleep.

All great points made...diet is good but not getting enough sleep. Thx
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Yesssh, I usually get them pretty bad 24-36 hours after a workout. If it starts to set in earlier I'm usually in for a lot of pain. But it's good pain. It's like "hey, my efforts were worthwhile!". Staying hydrated and doing much lower intensity exercises on the worked muscles tends to help. (Like, I'll randomly do wall push-ups after chest day, or bodyweight squats after leg day, just to get the blood to flow through the muscles.)

BCAAs do seem to help. But that might be slightly psychological xD
  • Winston1717
    I stay away from ibuprofen unless I really need it....soreness I realize is a part of the process and am changing up my work outs every 3 weeks. I can say this...I have started incorporating Tart Cherry Juice into my diet and it has helped quite a bit.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    I embrace the sweet pain but creatine seems to lessen it.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    You'll only get DOMS for your first 2-4 weeks of lifting. Go lift some lighter weights and do some light cardio to help with the soreness. Don't switch to the lighter weight permanently, just to alleviate the soreness. If you keep lifting for a few more weeks your body will adapt and you'll stop getting sore.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    You'll only get DOMS for your first 2-4 weeks of lifting. Go lift some lighter weights and do some light cardio to help with the soreness. Don't switch to the lighter weight permanently, just to alleviate the soreness. If you keep lifting for a few more weeks your body will adapt and you'll stop getting sore.

Not sure this applies to everyone. Almost five years later and I still get sore.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Yesssh, I usually get them pretty bad 24-36 hours after a workout. If it starts to set in earlier I'm usually in for a lot of pain. But it's good pain. It's like "hey, my efforts were worthwhile!". Staying hydrated and doing much lower intensity exercises on the worked muscles tends to help. (Like, I'll randomly do wall push-ups after chest day, or bodyweight squats after leg day, just to get the blood to flow through the muscles.)

BCAAs do seem to help. But that might be slightly psychological xD

I take ON's AmiN.O. after workouts, N.O. Xplode and Creatine/Terragon (spelling?) before, and supplement with lots of whey. That helps a lot.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member

I'm with ya. Kinda disappointed actually :laugh: :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I work a different group of muscles while my sore muscles repair.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member

What does DOMS stand for please?

LOL! Me too

I googled it: Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

Phew, I am not the only one. :laugh:
  • beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    since i've started doing cardio after weights, i rarely get DOMS.

Same here. I get very mild soreness, but nothing like I used to
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    I embrace the sweet pain but creatine seems to lessen it.

EMBRACE IT ^^^^^
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Learn to enjoy it. When I have DOMS, I can't stop poking at the sore area.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Advil and an epsome salt bath. I heard that foam rollers work awesome but I haven't tried them. Also make sure you eat some protein right after busting your *kitten*, it helps repair what you just wrecked. Sports therapy massages are awesome, although sometimes they get a little uncomfortable because you're so sore. Hot tubs or sauna's are awesome too. I get wicked bad DOMS on day 2. And go for a walk...nothing to strenuous, just a stroll with the dog or something, i find the more i sit, the more sore i am. keeping your muscles warm helps a lot
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I used to take Advil every day, until I read it stunts muscle growth :ohwell: I doubt one or two will have that big an effect, but I seriously cut down on that 'habit'.
    An easy paced run usually makes me feel better anyways.

I'd never heard of ibuprofen stunting muscle growth so I did some googling...not necessarily true in moderate doses:

http://muscleevo.net/increase-muscle-mass/

I like doing an active recovery/rest day - just do some light cardio like walking, stationary biking or swimming then get a really good stretch in. Hot showers and ibuprofen also help a lot.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I've never heard that it stunts muscle growth. I heard it's an anti-inflammatory, and that tylenol eats your stomach lining. Hence the reason I prefer Advil
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    BCAAs and cold showers do it for me.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    I stretch. I also move, I find that cardio or just walking really helps.

If really bad, motrin.