July 1 MFP Runner's Club

13»

Replies

• thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    I haven't tried running with hand weights, but I'm sure they would help. It would be a way to do a little arm workout while you run. "Lunch lady arms" that's a good one! Last weekend was the first time in a couple of years that I've even worn a sleeveless shirt because of my lunch lady arms! Here's to losing them however we can!:drinker:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    [

Hey Bunny,

When is the run? If you have enough time, then consider me a 3rd vote for the 10k. :wink:
    [/quote]

The run is in 10 weeks. 10 weeks to a 10 K. Right now I can run/walk 4 miles but I have never timed how long I run. I just make goals for myself on the road. Tonight I find out the program. With all this encouragement I am just about ready to go for it! :smile:
    [/quote]

Oh heck yeah, you can do it!! :drinker:
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Thanks Kechie,
    Yikes I think that is 5 votes for a 10K. no votes 5K!
    By the way. My son is in a football training camp and even though he is in great shape he has thrown up twice. I don't want to be the overly concerned Mom but is that normal?
    Bunny
  • bunnyr
    Thanks Kechie,
    By the way. My son is in a football training camp and even though he is in great shape he has thrown up twice. I don't want to be the overly concerned Mom but is that normal?
    Bunny
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Thanks Kechie,
    Bunny

Just tell your son to make sure he's staying hydrated. It's easy to get dehydrated in those intense kind of workouts, especially if it's hot. It can be dangerous. Lots of boys throw up during those workouts though. My son used to see it as sort of a badge of honor to work so hard that he threw up.
  • Thanks Kechie,
    Bunny

Just tell your son to make sure he's staying hydrated. It's easy to get dehydrated in those intense kind of workouts, especially if it's hot. It can be dangerous. Lots of boys throw up during those workouts though. My son used to see it as sort of a badge of honor to work so hard that he threw up.

I agree -- make sure he's drinking not just water but he'll need something with electrolytes in it. Gatorade, Power Ade -- something like that. Definitely sounds like dehydration. Does the coach know he's throwing up? I'd think the coach would be making sure they get their fluids in.....
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    ugh...my son keeps heading out to the pool so I can't get to reply to all your posts yet...BUT I had to come real quick and say....because of this thread....I didn't give up and just walk today...and believe me I wanted too so badly....It was like 90 and humid and about 5 pm....just not my normal early morning run time....but I got my boy in the jogger....and pushed him up and down hills for 3.5 miles....I was going to quit after the first one....lol but I said....naaaaa thinking about all you guys do...and I wanted to make you proud LMBO!!!

so yay you all!!! love and hugs and thanks!!!
    Ali be back later!!!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Bunny

I would say "no" actually throwing up twice is not normal. I used to work with a guy who was a hard core body builder. He and his friends would do squats until someone threw up as a badge of honor. And guys think we're weird? I workout hard on my hard days and sometimes I do start to feel sick but I always take that as a sign that I need to ease up a bit.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Welp. Nothing earth shattering from the doctor today. He said we could do an x-ray, but he seriously doubted any sort of fracture because I am complaining of pain on the tibia (one of the strongest bones in the body). He suspects (the same as me) that the bruise from my sprayer has aggravated some tendon or muscle close by. So, he diagnosed it as a bone contusion, but didn't recommend any different course other than aleve and applying heat, which I've already been doing. He said, well, you have to walk before you can run......yep.......so I hope I'm up and at 'em very soon.

Keep truckin' all! I"ll live vicariously.
    P
  • jdtrainer
    jdtrainer Posts: 160
    I did one hour of karate this morning and I was not going to run. Then I made the mistake of logging in and seeing what everyone else has been up to. Way to go ladies!!!! I am going to have to back off on my running mileage to keep up the intensity of my other workouts for the next 83 days, but I managed 2 miles in 95 degree temps.

I love/despise all of you:laugh: :laugh: Accountability is a wonderful thing??

Keep up the great work.

JD
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    I did 4.3 miles this morning.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Good evening, I got started really late today. My 13 year old had her wisdom teeth pulled this AM.
    After she woke up and had some food I finally got on the treadmill and surprisingly beat yesterdays time by one minute.

I am doing practice 5Ks at home and timing myself, best time so far 38:30, getting stronger and faster. Maybe it is the hulk juice I have been drinking (green machine "superfood") :laugh:

Good night and a good run for all you early risers tomorrow
  • bunnyr
    Thanks Kechie,
    Bunny

I agree -- make sure he's drinking not just water but he'll need something with electrolytes in it. Gatorade, Power Ade -- something like that. Definitely sounds like dehydration. Does the coach know he's throwing up? I'd think the coach would be making sure they get their fluids in.....