Calling all bikers--Biker Challenge!

1234568»

Replies

• cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    I just finished up 14.41 miles for a total of 22.50 today. The bike was flawless but I was (am) so tired. This extra weight I am hauling around is really needing to go away. It really shows when I climb. I have tomorrow off and, if I don't get called out tonight I will ride more miles tomorrow. Early in the cool morning air is the best time. Sorry to hear about the fires in the Sac valley. Be very careful in that stuff, you don't want to inhale something that is bad for you. You get a free pass if you can't ride because of the fire. Its been a good day.
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    I'm glad you got your bike back cecreech! I had a terrible week not being allowed to ride according to my plan. Cheated by one day:embarassed: .

I feel you about the hills! I do pretty well now on the flats, but hills? :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:

That is where you REALLY feel the extra weight. And for me it's even harder now since recumbents don't climb that well.:mad:

But it is a good training. Think about how you will be flying up these hills when the extra weight is gone!

Tailwinds
  • cecreech
    I had fun this morning riding with a 20 something. He really got me going. I did a 9.4 mile loop in 42min. Now its time to go swim and start the day. I have to tell you all that it really means a lot to me to be able to share my little victories with you. Thanks to you all. You are the bestest.
    67210.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    I had fun this morning riding with a 20 something. He really got me going. I did a 9.4 mile loop in 42min. Now its time to go swim and start the day. I have to tell you all that it really means a lot to me to be able to share my little victories with you. Thanks to you all. You are the bestest.
    67210.png

LOL--young whippersnappers can't show us up! th_Silly_avatar_by_Dicx.gif
  • stschulz
    :quote: LOL--young whippersnappers can't show us up!:quote:

Shorerider

cecreech and myself are in the beginning phase of planning a Cross America tour once we get a little older and faster.

Are you in?
  • shorerider
    No way--I hate mountains! Well, I love looking at them but biking up them? :sick:

Give me miles and miles and miles of nice flat roads and I'm happy as a clam!
  • cecreech
    Yes, outrunning a 20 something in a climb is about as cocky as I get. I heard him coming up behind me, dropped a gear and stood up and pumped. Felt like Lance. To make matters worse he tried to pass me on the flat and I did not have to yield. :tongue: I bet me and stshultz will be cruisin with the best of them in less than a year. Its like you said, "as we get older and faster." Wheeeee! Man, I have gonna have to watch my attitude, I don't want to get too cocky here. :blushing: Perhaps this is what feeling thin is like? I like it. :bigsmile:
  • stschulz
    I hate mountains too shorerider. I avoid them like the plague right now. But by the time we are ready for that you'll be flying up the hill's!

cecreech your attitude is quite all right. Keeps you going. I am not fast enough yet, by I love trying to do that too. especially on flats and downhill I am naturally a little faster than someone on a DF. Wind resistance and such. I am not ashamed to say I take advantage of that if I can.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    I think we need to start a new challenge for July.

I'm going to commit to 150 miles during the month. Anyone else?
  • shorerider
    already started one for this week--here's the link--

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/18165-mfp-biking-challenge-june-29
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    No way--I hate mountains! Well, I love looking at them but biking up them? :sick:

Give me miles and miles and miles of nice flat roads and I'm happy as a clam!

OH come on now...it's the challenge of climbing that makes it all worth it. I just drop into low gear, get into my zone and pump away. It's amazing how mind over matter really comes into play when you are climbing. It truely is an awesome feeling once you are on the way down the other side saying to yourself, I really did that????
    But yes flat land is fun too :bigsmile:
    I'm just happy when I get to ride...PERIOD!
    The smoke is still in the air. I brought home some TB masks from work for my hubby to wear when he rides. I was starting to feel it in my lungs on Friday by the time I got to work...this SUCKS!
    We are going back to Monterey in about 4 weeks. There was some bad fires in Big Sur. I'm hoping it will all be cleared up by the time our trip comes around.
    Ok so you all need to do some riding for me.....
    Happy riding,
    Kel~biker1.gif
  • cecreech
    I am actually going to change jobs in order to ride my bike more. Today I interviewed at a place up the road from my home. If I get this job I will probably not need a car to get to work. Its funny how something changes your life and then the rest of it changes. I am also considering a B.O.B. Yak trailer for my bike, so I can carry groceries and stuff. I am investing in rain and cold weather gear.
    I went and worked hard in the hills today on some country roads in the Piedmont of our state. I focused on sitting and climbing. I could really feel the burn. 12 miles of hills is different than what I have been doing, I guess the grade is steeper.
    Weight-loss wise, I haven't seen the scale move down any more but that could happen any day now. Had a little setback eating too much at a party with a buffet. :cry: I can't believe I did that to myself! I have been back on track now and feeling stronger when I ride. Blessing to all.

67210.png
  • whoohoo a challenge I can live with!!!

I am in
    I am pledging to get in 100 miles a week.
    I just upgraded from my Trek 7.2 hybrid bike to a Trek 2100 road bike. She is a wonderful little beast.
    I have had my handelbars re-adjusted, bought new shoes and a different saddle....
    We (my husband and I and 2 daughters) try and get in a ride or 2 during the week, and the majority is done on the weekends. But....I have a trainer inside, so i can kick it up a notch.

This is great!!!
    BTW...anyone out there from Indiana???

Traci
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member

Weight-loss wise, I haven't seen the scale move down any more but that could happen any day now. Had a little setback eating too much at a party with a buffet. :cry: I can't believe I did that to myself! I have been back on track now and feeling stronger when I ride. Blessing to all.

67210.png

I hear you about the scale no moving. I haven't seen it move in over 2 months and I've been biking, walking, working out at the gym, watching what I eat and NOTHING! I've been burning and excess of 500- 1000 calories a day. Doesn't seem right not to lose...
    Sounds like you had a fantastic ride! There is still smoke in the air so I've been doing a lot of cycling insdie at the gym :frown:
    I'm ready to ride outside again...aaaahhh! :happy:
    Kel~
  • shorerider
    I hear you about the scale no moving. I haven't seen it move in over 2 months and I've been biking, walking, working out at the gym, watching what I eat and NOTHING! I've been burning and excess of 500- 1000 calories a day. Doesn't seem right not to lose...
    Sounds like you had a fantastic ride! There is still smoke in the air so I've been doing a lot of cycling insdie at the gym :frown:
    I'm ready to ride outside again...aaaahhh! :happy:
    Kel~

Make sure you're eating enough calories total--not just your exercise calories but overall. I'm sure you've read how a lot of people here with a small amount to lose actually increased their calories and then finally started to lose weight.
  • stschulz
    Tracy:
    wow! 100 PER WEEK!
    Well, with your new bike that will be a breeze:wink:

cecreech:
    I commend you making all these changes. You are totally changing your life style, not just getting a few miles in.

I am thinking about getting a trailer for shopping too ( as soon as the budget allows it, these things are not cheap:sad: ). I plan to make trips with it and go camoing next year. I prefer the 2-wheelers over the Yak though. But then again I like the fact that the Yak is attached on both side of the wheel.