GRRRRRRRR!!!

Okay, so this is just a rant to get this off of my chest. I know I can come here and let it all out...right? :ohwell: So I waited a month and a half to do another weigh in at Curves and today was the day. I was all excited and had thought I'd done so well! I'd gone down a pant size, have been counting my calories for a month, and have been working out 5 days a week. So...the moment of truth came...I wished I'd just stayed off the scale and away from that stupid body fat percentage tool that, apparently, Satan invented (along with the scale). Last time I weighed myself there the dumb scale was all over the board. It would read one weight, then, when I got on it again, it read like 18 lbs lower! So we just took the closest to the three highest weights. I got on their new scale today and it shows that after 6 weeks...yes, 6 WEEKS, of working and trying so hard, that I've only lost 1.5 POUNDS! :sad: The demon body fat thing said that I've only lost 1% body fat. :mad: I think the gal who did my measurements was a little out of practice because, according to her, I lost 5 inches in my thighs and 5 inches in my waist. :noway: Sooo...now everything is all crazy in my head as to what the last 6 weeks has been worth. I came home and got on my junky $10 scale (an old fashioned, non digital one) and it showed that I'd lost 10 lbs since 6 weeks ago. Now, I know my scale is usually off by a few pounds but it's always been accurate with at least registering how many pounds I've lost. Sooo...yes, I know I've lost 10 lbs, but the stupid Curves scale and evil % thingie just put me in a SUPER bad mood! So, overall, I think I'm just grumpy. Maybe I'm being hormonal. Grrrr... I know I just need to focus on the fact that I did, indeed lose 10 pounds, I definitely lost a pant size, and I know that 10 lbs every 6 weeks is absolutely healthy. But I wanna be skinny NOW! Okay, enough of the ranting. Here's my new mantra until I get out of this nasty mood: SLOW AND STEADY! SLOW AND STEADY! Thanks, everyone, for letting me go off! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Okay, so this is just a rant to get this off of my chest. I know I can come here and let it all out...right? :ohwell: So I waited a month and a half to do another weigh in at Curves and today was the day. I was all excited and had thought I'd done so well! I'd gone down a pant size, have been counting my calories for a month, and have been working out 5 days a week. So...the moment of truth came...I wished I'd just stayed off the scale and away from that stupid body fat percentage tool that, apparently, Satan invented (along with the scale). Last time I weighed myself there the dumb scale was all over the board. It would read one weight, then, when I got on it again, it read like 18 lbs lower! So we just took the closest to the three highest weights. I got on their new scale today and it shows that after 6 weeks...yes, 6 WEEKS, of working and trying so hard, that I've only lost 1.5 POUNDS! :sad: The demon body fat thing said that I've only lost 1% body fat. :mad: I think the gal who did my measurements was a little out of practice because, according to her, I lost 5 inches in my thighs and 5 inches in my waist. :noway: Sooo...now everything is all crazy in my head as to what the last 6 weeks has been worth. I came home and got on my junky $10 scale (an old fashioned, non digital one) and it showed that I'd lost 10 lbs since 6 weeks ago. Now, I know my scale is usually off by a few pounds but it's always been accurate with at least registering how many pounds I've lost. Sooo...yes, I know I've lost 10 lbs, but the stupid Curves scale and evil % thingie just put me in a SUPER bad mood! So, overall, I think I'm just grumpy. Maybe I'm being hormonal. Grrrr... I know I just need to focus on the fact that I did, indeed lose 10 pounds, I definitely lost a pant size, and I know that 10 lbs every 6 weeks is absolutely healthy. But I wanna be skinny NOW! Okay, enough of the ranting. Here's my new mantra until I get out of this nasty mood: SLOW AND STEADY! SLOW AND STEADY! Thanks, everyone, for letting me go off! :flowerforyou:
  • BUNNYB
    BUNNYB Posts: 91
    ata girl :tongue:
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr your way out of it all!!!! were all here for you, and probably can all relate to your frustration and pain. Whether it be your scale is wrong, or theirs.... or whatever.......
    the best way to know your working hard and its paying off, is exactly... the way YOU FEEL
    in your own skin, and of course clothes! If you know you feel and look smaller in your clothes
    then thats the real judgement! no crazy scale is going to tell you diferently..
    and I think the fancier the scale, the more can go wrong with it!!
    Since I started I have a $10 Walmart one (non digital) that I use and like... the more buttons
    and memory and gadgets on it, the more to fail and mess up! making readings more frustrating
    on us!!!
    Congrats on the 6wks straight of hard work... thats amazing!! and a long time! 6wk goals are a great
    challenge, and very rewarding afterwards for having such drive! Be PROUD!
    And vent all you want! Im sure there's always someone here to listen at all hours! :flowerforyou:
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    congrats on losing a pant size..thats wonderful. the scale does not always give us complete results. You have lost 1% of body fat..that is an accomplishment and should be celebrated. Look at it this way..you are trying to change your life. You did not gain weight over a day nor are you going to lose it that way.... as you said slow and steady wins the race . Just think with your ambition and drive in a few months you will be looking better than ever!!!! :) keep it up girl and make it a life style!!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    kristie874,

mfp vents!

Boy I hate scales. I mean every thing about them. Every one is different, and when you weigh at a gym or Curves, they always give you some excuse. I was stuck (oh - still am - 6 weeks around the same frikkin' pound) and so thought maybe since the pants were too big, that maybe I'd gained muscle. Measured the same body measurements as 6 weeks ago, too. Why are we doing this??

I know you must have lost weight (me too) if our pants don't fit: and yet we can't see it any other way. And this website dwells on the scale measurement. I'm taking a breather until after Christmas. That will give time to become less frustrated.

Gee, aren't I a lot of help? NOT.
    Scales are the :devil: Spawn.

Merry Christmas.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Scales are the :devil: Spawn..

roflmao! :laugh:
    Well put girlfriend!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • finkkm
    finkkm Posts: 27 Member
    What a let down on Curves part, you would think that they should be able to accurately monitor your progress... :mad: that would make me angry, especially since you are paying for their service...
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Clearly Curves is throwing you a 'curve' with their faulty equipment and inadequately trained staff. As you say, your scale might not be state of the art, but it's going to show you pretty consistantly what has been happening with yourself. Plus the undeniable pants size thing. Sounds like success to me! :smile:

I've got a 12 dollar scale, but have been hinting for a nice digital one for Xmas. I wonder what nasty surprises will be in store for me? I do not doubt the downward trend my cheapie has been informing me of, but I may possibly weigh much diffrently than I thought, maybe more or less.

Oh well, it's all just numbers, right? The important thing is how you feel and how you feel you look.
  • well i am a college student majoring in exercise physiology and one thing we do is body fat percentages....alot of times when people pinch they will grab muscle as well..next time you go and get the body fat done...flex the area they are pinching.... if the pinch becomes smaller they were grabbing muscle as well..it is a sure way to make sure they are doing the pinch properlly....another good way is to have them do it three times and then average out the score..many people do not have proper training...hope this helps...
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Well Kristi,
    I happen to KNOW that you are not the first, OR the LAST lady that Curves has had WAY off measurements.
    I do not know if it is lack of training, or if it is a sales thing where they try to sign you up for more because the progress is not as much as it should be. the
    "SEE, you ARE making progress, but you still have a ways to go. So in order to do that...you have to buy more sessions!"
    At another Weight-loss place (That I will not mention.) it is called the. "IF SHE CRIES, SHE BUYS" method. :explode:
    I am a firm believer in the "do it yourself" method of weigh ins.
    I want to see with my own eyes what I have done and be able to monitor it myself.
    I want to know HOW to do it. So I can measure myself when I see fit.
    And gage my process from there.
    I went to GNC and picked up a pair of body fat calipers, the lady that was there even showed me how to use them. :happy:
    Which just might be me, but after a lot of experience with gyms trying to SELL me something on a fear tactic, :mad:
    I no longer wish to have them touch me.
    It is fine for them to show me how a machine works or tell me if they think one of the things that I am doing could be done better.
    Of course I am sure that all gyms are NOT this way at all and I will say that I have found a gym that I LOVE and will go to for life at our local Community College. THEY are not trying to SELL me anything!
    They remember who I am and call me by name. They are always available for advice JUST LIKE YOU ALL ARE! :bigsmile: And this is the part I LOVE!
    There are REAL people there. Not the super buff guy or the overly bubbly squeaky aerobics instructor girl.
    Again, this might just be me.
    But I digress.
    I would trust the scale at home and the fact that you have lost a whole dress size LONG before I would trust the girl at Curves.
    --Diann...
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    well i am a college student majoring in exercise physiology and one thing we do is body fat percentages....alot of times when people pinch they will grab muscle as well..next time you go and get the body fat done...flex the area they are pinching.... if the pinch becomes smaller they were grabbing muscle as well..it is a sure way to make sure they are doing the pinch properlly....another good way is to have them do it three times and then average out the score..many people do not have proper training...hope this helps...

I am with Keri on this, I STILL think it is a lack of training on the part of Curves. You do not have to have a degree in Excercise physiology, Like what Keri is going for, In fact their employment ad ONLY says that they want you to have SALES experiance. Hmmm
    --Diann...
  • I hate to be the one to bare bad news...however the fitness industry does not have a big brother.

I have managed multiple healthy clubs and have been trainin for 5 years...and many places like Curves dont train their individuals...and their personnel are not paid well which means they don't have the motivation to educate themselves to help you.

I would invest in a scale you can trust...and stick to weighing on ONE scale. Get someone you feel comfortable with and have them do your measurements...and make sure they use landmarks...so the measurments are done in the exact same spont the next time.

Unfortunately for those who want help...if the professional they are using is not careful...their statistics they feed you can make or ruin your whole day.

Keep on truckin'! You are doing wonderful. Get joyful with the loss of a pant size...and forget the silly scale.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    the scale lies!
    (or at least it's not a full measure of your health, that's for sure.)

the pants speak the truth!!

:flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    kristy my pal,

I know I already put in my two cents. I just found some change in the bottom of my purse so I can add two more.

I originally signed up for Curves a couple months ago. After I went online and did some research, I felt that Curves wouldn't be able to be a long-term solution for me. The machines they use DO offer resistance - but it is a low level of resistance, and cannot be increased. Fortunately I live in a large city suburb so I had other choices. Contracts can be rescinded 'pain-free' for three days, so I spent two days going to other gyms and fitness centers in the area, including a local-one-gym owner, and two 'chain' gyms. (Gold's and 24 Hour Fitness).

The sign-up fee for Curves was $149 and a six month committment, meaning if I quit before, I still had to pay for the six months at $49 a month. Six months seems to be the period when most people see the best results for fixed-resistance machines like they use at Curves.

I settled on Gold's. Gold's membership is $229 and a one year committment at $65 monthly. If it was about money, maybe I would have thought Curves was better. But I wanted to make a lifetime committment. Gold's has 200+ locations nationwide I can use. They have been in business a long time, whereas several Curves in my area have recently closed. I believe Curves are franchises - but I'm not certain about that.

Golds are open from 5AM - 11PM M-F and 7-7 Sat and Sun.
    The location I go to offers everything from nutrition to about 30 different classes at various times, from yoga to Pilates, Spinning, and everything in between - all included (only Pilates has an additional fee.)

They also have a locker room with showers and all products supplied (towels, shampoo, soap, conditioner, hair dryers. I can have a trainer or not. I can find a workout buddy.

They have a 'Ladies Only room' with everything you would need from balls to bikes, treadmills, ellipticals, Nautilus, cable machines, free weights, TV, music & magazines.

The rest of the gym also has tons of free weights, about 150 Nautilus machines, about 40 recumbent bikes, 40 treadmills, 30 Ellipticals, Rowing machines, 15 Stairmasters - most of the machines are either equipped with a personal TV/music system (where you choose your channels) - or are in view of a wall of TVs, set to different channels. Magazines to read while on the bikes or treadmill. Pool, Sauna, Steam Room, lounge with fireplace, social events, drinks (energy, juices, or supplements). Of course Exercise balls, mats.....really good, motivating music. It is a beautiful facility. You can do the same 'Circuit Training' that Curves offers with the beneift of all these other ameniities, and the ability to increase your resistance and incorporate free weights.

So maybe you would like a different gym as a change when your Curves membership runs out. I'm happy with the gym. Don't pay for the trainer, though. They give you a one week free trial of usage of the gym. They give you one 'Orientation' session with a trainer. See this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/2408-the-trouble-with-trainers

Good luck, sweetie. Yes I know I talk too much. Just ignore me :wink:

Cheryl
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Thank you, Cheryl, for all of the information about Gold's! I'm also a member of Bally's (which I haven't used for a LONG time) and have some dumbbells (1, 2, 5, 8 lbs), videos, a treadmill, an excercise ball, and bands at home. Gold's sounds fantastic! I always feel like the clutzy girl at Bally's, which is why I'd feel better at Curves. I am enjoying the actual workouts that I get in 30 minutes for the time being and, since I have a LOT of weight to lose, I think it'll be okay for me for a little bit longer. I just don't prefer the "training" of the Curves staff. Sometimes I feel like I could teach them a thing or two. I love when they tell me that muscle weighs more than fat...uh...it's about density...anyway, semantics, eh? Once I start getting closer to my goal weight, I'll probably be a lot stronger and won't feel so awkward using gym machines. I'll probably go back to Bally's around then. I should probably start incorporating some morning strength training at home with my ball, bands, and weights, too. I don't think you talk too much at all! I really appreciate the information and support!!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Here's what I do, I weigh on the digital scale at the gym, fully clothed and ready to workout, I do this every monday. Then I come home and get on the scale fully clothed and make the scale at home say exactly what the gym scale said. the first time I did this I then took all clothes off and found that with all my workout clothes and shoes on I was a full 5 lbs heavier.

It is hard, especially with large numbers to loose, and trainers are not always trained! You keep doing what you are doing, keep loosing pant sizes and feeling better and you will get the results you want!

The number on the scale is just a bonus if it ends up saying what you want it to say!
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206

Okay here's my two cents... The random scale readings drive me NUTS too! I went out and bought a good scale (as far as I can tell) and to make extra sure that it was on target I will periodically weigh one of my hand weights to make sure it's calibrated properly. Sometimes my five or ten pound weight will only register as 7 lbs etc. so I move the scale to another part of the room and try again until I find the spot where it reads correctly. Sounds crazy but even things like carpet, hard wood floors, etc can throw things off. My scale also has instruction that you are suppose to weigh on it with the bottoms of your feet wet (yes I know it sounds crazy) but some scales may have special instructions like that. The calibrating with a hand weight though has helped calmed my nerves and feel like I'm getting an accurate reading. Hope this helps! Hang in there!