Better term than "cheat" day?

The term "cheat" day(/meal/snack/etc.) doesn't work well for me. If it makes sense to you and works for you that's great! I am glad it does. For me, though, I don't feel like occasionally eating over my daily calorie limit is "cheating." I'm not trying to get around the system.

On the days where I go over my normal daily calorie limit, it's because I feel like it's important to do so for my well-being. This might be for a variety of reasons--last week, it was because I started weight lifting and I was craving protein like crazy. Another week it was because I was super stressed out one day and didn't eat nearly enough, so the next day I wanted to take care of myself and eat more.

Sometimes my well-being might have more to do with my emotional health than physical--I might be having a really bad day, or a craving that just won't go away, or I might decide to eat something because it's a one-shot opportunity, or because it's a special celebration.

A good 90% of the time I eat at or below my daily calorie limit. I'm losing weight well, and I'm also taking care of myself sustainably. So I really don't like the term "cheating" in this context, because it makes it sound like I'm doing something bad, rather than making a good, smart choice for my long-term health.

Does anyone use a different term? Anyone agree/disagree with me? And what works for you?

Replies

• Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    I don't think what you did would be considered "cheating" . You listened to your body's needs and adjusted accordingly. To me cheat day is going completely off the wagon and eating whatever you want not restricting portion size, most likely unhealthy stuff too.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    I call it my Free day - because I don't add up the calories in my head as I'm eating them and I log after I eat them. therefor they feel free to me:)
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    One of my friends who is a bodybuilder calls it a "re-feed" day. Another term I've heard is a "mental health day" or a "mental health meal." Whatever you decide to call it, enjoy it! I honestly think food should be enjoyed. :smile:
  • salydra
    salydra Posts: 29
    Maintenance day, refuel day, or day off.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Bulk day.

or.

Hulk day.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    It is just semantics call it what you want Cheat day, Free day, ReFeed day or whatever.... In the end it all has the same meaning just call it whatever you want too...... In the end as long as you are getting results from what you are doing that is really all that matters..... Best of Luck
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    how about just "day" because I don't have cheat days, I have days where sometimes I make choices to eat foods that are not super clean, and it's not always the same day of the week. It's usually me just living my life and adjusting accordingly, I'm just much pickier now about what I will and won't spend empty calories on.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    I always call it a free day fun day party day! but thats every day for me pretty much..you see....when us get off the "diet" restriction cheat woof it all down day Krazy cycle and eat whatever u want pretty much every day your body turns off the fat storage programs and turns on the fat burning programs!
  • marieskee
    marieskee Posts: 120 Member
    I don't have cheat days, I have "rewards". if I eat clean and workout then why not?
    For example if I do the right thing 80 percent of the time then that gives me a 20 percent window to do the wrong thing. I do the right thing instead of "cheating" I am then rewarded(motivation).

For instance if I stick to the plan for one week then the reward will be something like a new pair of shoes, dress, six flags, going to the park for a day, eat anything I prefer or anything rewarding that my budget allows. Of course as time progresses then the week becomes a month. My last monthly reward (cheat) was an all you can eat buffet (woohooo).<<<--- Even then didn't cheat(no fun).

My weekly reward is a day at the park versus a day of intense cleaning, boy do i love my Saturday with nature. Last week was bad lets just say my house is spotless LoL!
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Super Happy Fun Day!

I'm not on a restrictive diet, so there's nothing for me to cheat on. I just try to stay as close to my daily calorie goal as possible. Some days I'm more successful than others.
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    I always call it a free day fun day party day! but thats every day for me pretty much..you see....when us get off the "diet" restriction cheat woof it all down day Krazy cycle and eat whatever u want pretty much every day your body turns off the fat storage programs and turns on the fat burning programs!

I am so glad that works for you, but if it worked for me I definitely wouldn't need to be here!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I have taken a few words out of my vocabulary in regard to my food choices, such as bad, good, cheating, etc. A choice is a choice. If my calories are higher on a given day for some reason, I deal with it. I don't let my calories get crazy but in real life, in a lot of areas, there are fluctuations, and I am not going to use words like that, I think they can be judgmental and can lead to making people feel guilty.

7396232.png
  • Tamm04
    Tamm04 Posts: 182 Member
    How about "whooo hoooooo free for all fun day!!!!"

Too much?
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    how about just "day" because I don't have cheat days, I have days where sometimes I make choices to eat foods that are not super clean, and it's not always the same day of the week. It's usually me just living my life and adjusting accordingly, I'm just much pickier now about what I will and won't spend empty calories on.

Yeah, to me it's just another day. Some days I'm 100% on program with all my choices, and other days I make different choices because they make sense at that time. It's not about being good or bad for me, it's about being conscious of my choices and being comfortable with them for whatever reason. That's the only way this is going to work for me for the rest of my life.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    I have taken a few words out of my vocabulary in regard to my food choices, such as bad, good, cheating, etc. A choice is a choice. If my calories are higher on a given day for some reason, I deal with it. I don't let my calories get crazy but in real life, in a lot of areas, there are fluctuations, and I am not going to use words like that, I think they can be judgmental and can lead to making people feel guilty.

Pretty much this. As for "cheating," I call it an "indulgence meal" or day, but I don't call it a "cheat" meal/day anymore. "Cheat" implies I'm doing something bad or wrong or against the rules. I'm not. There isn't bad food, it's what I do with it that makes it a bad *decision* and I deal with those as they come at me, which is thankfully getting to be less and less often.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Treat day. :)
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Anyone who has undertaken a basic course in nutritional science will refer to it as a refeed day. You need to work these into your diet intelligently and read some good articles and watch some informed commentaries on the subject.

http://www.nickmitchellblog.com/cheating-refeeds-fat-loss/
    http://www.phillearney.com/nutrition/cheat-meals-part-i/
    http://www.phillearney.com/nutrition/cheat-meals-part-ii/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsSzl4ecluk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yDPpc1Yazs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt3dF_nYMUA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BAQSv8hYbY
  • jinna86
    jinna86 Posts: 93
    Treat day. :)

Same here!! I call it my treat day, or treat meal. But for me, it's more about the chance to eat out at a restaurant, rather than eating at home that's the treat :smile:
  • mnm424
    mnm424 Posts: 259 Member
    not sure if anyone else has posted this before... as I didn't read all the posts...

but maybe...........

indulgence day..?
    grace day....?
  • reviewboy
    reviewboy Posts: 13
    I've heard "reboot day" (or more specifically, "Leptin reboot day"), "reset day" and "recharge day".