Heavylifting at home for beginners?

Seems like a bad idea to me but for now would be the only way I can do it. The only thing that concearns me is squatting with a heavy barbell.....sounds like a bad idea without help. I have done personal training and feel I understand proper form.

Who lifts heavy at home and what equipment do you use?

Replies

• faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    I used to lift heave at home by myself and I had a pretty good smith rack that I used that helped. Its hard to do alone though and I got myself into trouble more than once and you are right the form doesnt stay as clean when you lift alone. But I had no choice as I dont care for gyms. Unfortunately I tore my rhomboid and have not lifted much in the last year...plus surfing has consumed me!
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    please........anyone.......
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I have the same issue, but just do what I can at this point. Squatting is the most difficult, because although I can squat heavier weight than I am....I can't get it up over my shoulders and down safely if I increase weight much more. I'm at 50 lbs right now, and will have to stay their for a bit until I progress with my overhead press...and maybe not even then if I feel it's unsafe. I'm trying to think of something I can use as a makeshift rack, but haven't come up with anything yet!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Is the issue then that you don't have a squat rack or power cage? There are some people on here that have made their own power cages and it's perfectly fine to use something like that.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    me. Squatting up to 400lbs at home.

I now have a commercial setup but started with a cheap second hand power rack, bar and weights. If you have the space, I'd highly recommend it. So much cheaper than gym membership and you don't have to wait for anything, can play whatever music you want etc.

And you can post vids on various forums for form critique. Start slowly though.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    I lift at home. I have a bench, a rack, a barbell, an ez curl bar, a pair of dumbbells and a whole bunch of plates.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Seems like a bad idea to me but for now would be the only way I can do it. The only thing that concearns me is squatting with a heavy barbell.....sounds like a bad idea without help. I have done personal training and feel I understand proper form.

Who lifts heavy at home and what equipment do you use?

I currently have a power rack in my basement, but before that, I had a cheap squat rack. I don't go until failure any more, but I used to. I've had to dump off the back a couple times. Lucky I didn't break the floor!
  • msperkey3
    msperkey3 Posts: 93 Member
    I also have a squat rack~ if u have the room, check on Craigslist or used sporting equipment store. I was able to manage squats with bb for a while tho
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Great going to Google power rack. Thank you all.