THIS is why you should lift heavy things.

redheaddee
redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
First off, this lovely ladies blog inspired me to add on: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/what-heavy-lifting-really-does-to-your-body-546552

There a gazillion posts on here as to why women should lift. I won't go into any of those here, but I lift and I love it.

But as of this past Friday, I am convinced, and this is why:

subaru_zpsba6b4dc7.jpg

On my way home from work, I was rear-ended so hard, I was turned 180 degrees and rolled twice.

AND WALKED AWAY. Pulled myself out the driver door and slid down my car roof.

THIS is why you should lift heavy things. Because my body is strong and better able to survive a hit.

My husband had the same experience: woman pulled in front of him on his Harley, and...

harley_zpsae0f7e2c.jpg

HE WALKED AWAY.

This is why you should lift heavy things.

Replies

• NotMika
    NotMika Posts: 21 Member
    I love this, it's a great story and a great example of how, yeah, sometimes health is actually about more than how you look. I hope you are doing alright after that crash.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    OMG, I am so glad you are okay! I had a similar thought during the Boston Marathon bombings. I want to be strong so that if I'm ever in that situation, I can actually help people.

Again, very very glad you are okay!
  • redheaddee
    I should add that I am fine, other than whiplash and some beautiful bruising. My hubby had some road rash and got his hip knocked out of sorts. But we both are alive and well, thank heavens.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Thank God you are both alright!! Love the message :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    *hugs* I'm so glad you're ok!

And that reminds me... I had a friend years ago (friend of my ex... he got custody when we split :wink: ) who was a bodybuilder with an amazing physique. He got in a head-on collision with a drunk driver and had the steering column pushed into his abdomen.

He didn't walk away from it, but all his doctors and surgeons told him if he hadn't had such strong abs, it would have killed him. Instead, he just had several broken bones and months and months of rehab, but he survived.
  • redheaddee
    *hugs* I'm so glad you're ok!

And that reminds me... I had a friend years ago (friend of my ex... he got custody when we split :wink: ) who was a bodybuilder with an amazing physique. He got in a head-on collision with a drunk driver and had the steering column pushed into his abdomen.

He didn't walk away from it, but all his doctors and surgeons told him if he hadn't had such strong abs, it would have killed him. Instead, he just had several broken bones and months and months of rehab, but he survived.

...aaaaand THIS is another reason why...!!!! Wow Lorina!
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Glad to hear you're okay! How fast were they freaking going to flip a freaking mid-size SUV from the BACK??? Beejebus! Drunk???
  • RichOC
    RichOC Posts: 243 Member
    Some people might just say you were lucky. But in truth, it can def make a difference. Many years ago my uncle was broadsided by a drunk driver. His girlfriend and he were ejected from the car. His girlfriend was killed instantly. My uncle on the other hand ended up some feet away with the car resting on top of his chest. The doctors all said that the only reason he survived was because he was in such amazing shape and was so incredibly built. He was pretty messed up, even with that, but it was amazing that he survived.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    I wasn't expecting that.

excellent post.
  • redheaddee
    Glad to hear you're okay! How fast were they freaking going to flip a freaking mid-size SUV from the BACK??? Beejebus! Drunk???

The speed limit on that road is 55 mph, so 55-60 mph was the guess. Sober as the day is long. Said the "sun was in my eye".
    :noway:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Wow....I'm really glad to read that you and the hubby are both ok!

Stronger people are harder to kill, it's true. :flowerforyou:
  • redheaddee
    Stronger people are harder to kill, it's true. :flowerforyou:

I am so very much stealing that line.
  • redheaddee
    S/N: the hubby just got back from getting my things out of the car. One of the to truck drivers expressed his sympathy for my husband's loss. I had no business walking away from that.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    S/N: the hubby just got back from getting my things out of the car. One of the to truck drivers expressed his sympathy for my husband's loss. I had no business walking away from that.

Gives me goosbumps...glad your ok
  • redheaddee

Thanks! You and me both!! :flowerforyou:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Great story. I remember seeing the story of a very muscular cross fit girl walking around with a broken vertebra in her neck.

There it is :

http://mirandaoldroyd.blogspot.ca/2012/07/crossfit-is-dangerous-and-how-it-very.html

I am very happy you are ok OP
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member

Thanks! You and me both!! :flowerforyou:

Me three!
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    WOW. First off, glad you are, for the most part, ok.

Second, it's true. Srong people are harder to kill. :smile:
  • redheaddee
    WOW. First off, glad you are, for the most part, ok.

Second, it's true. Srong people are harder to kill. :smile:

Maybe I am Wonder Woman and just don't know it :laugh:
    Either that, or my guardian angel needs a frigging raise.
  • Gingersnapsmom
    Gingersnapsmom Posts: 12 Member
    Amazing. Thank you for sharing your experience <3 Glad the doctors actually told you that strong bodies help us survive. Usually they don't bother to give out that extra tidbit of information. Thank God you both survived.