Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:
Possible Fitbit Downtime Thursday, November 14th between 22:30 and 23:00 PDT. Please see our Support Announcement for more details.

Recipes - ability to copy, easily search, share w/friends

rstwoheerstwohee Posts: 7Member Member Posts: 7Member Member
I find I'm having to spend quite a bit of time dealing with recipes. I prefer homecooked meals so that means lots of recipes. We have 3 accounts in the family so the back and forth is time consuming. I'd like to be able to:

1) Copy a recipe so that I can make the tweaks -- sometimes I have a core recipe that I then vary based on what's in the fridge
2) Share a recipe - we don't always have these meals on the same few days as some food goes in the freezer to come out another week.
3) Better search through recipes and common ingredients

Love MFP but I find that some of the recipe process is tedious.

Replies

• sarack05sarack05 Posts: 3Member Posts: 3Member
    funny! I just posted the same thing....I really wish we could share recipes. Having the option to share with people on your friends list would be GREAT!!! We also have family all on MFP there are 4 of us that eat meals together all the time and are always having home cooked meals.
  • pattihosfordpattihosford Posts: 3Member Posts: 3Member
    I was happily shocked to find many of the recipes I already use and love from skinnytaste.com have been calculated into MFP. I have found skinnytaste.com to be delicious, healthy, and easy to prepare. I make a full recipe, eat it once then once as leftovers (there are 2 of us) and freeze half for later. Today for lunch I had leftover Santa Fe chicken on a tortilla.
  • PandorianPandorian Posts: 5,010Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator Posts: 5,010Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator
    While you can't really share the "recipe details" IE quantities of what ingredients and just how these are combined you CAN save the time from multiple members of a family NOT having to log the recipe itself just to get the nutritional info to their diary.

You create the recipe in your account, log a serving of the recipe to your food diary. Make sure your diary is either public or at least shared with friends and you ARE friends with the people you want to get the info.

Your friends come to YOUR diary using THEIR account, viewing your meals and...

apps (iPad, iPhone and Android) click the wrench / spanner in the header with the meal name > copy to today
    website - click quick tools > copy to today

that will copy the nutritional details to their diary from that meal slot, so you can copy just a recipe if that's all you have logged, if you are logging more they can delete the items they didn't eat once it has been copied to their diary. Once it's in their own diary they can then hit quick tools > remember meal so they can "easily" find that recipe serving nutritional details when they pull it out of the freezer in 2 weeks and eat it.

Oh and while there "IS" an option for "sharing your recipe" when you are creating the recipe... this is what it says when you click YES to share

We are currently accepting submissions to the MyFitnessPal recipe database. Once we receive enough submissions, we'll create a recipe section where users can browse recipes submitted by other members. Until then, you can To submit your recipe to the database, please provide the following additional information.

All fields are required.

Only MFP knows what "enough submissions" for them to get working on the feature will be.
  • rstwoheerstwohee Posts: 7Member Member Posts: 7Member Member
    I have done as you mentioned several times and in fact spent a fair bit of time on the weekend trying to get everyone in sync in the household. Yes I can copy a meal but then I'm deleting so many items just to get that one -- just one item -- that I wanted. If I could have shared the recipe, it would be a lot easier to add and I wouldn't have to spend the time with catch-up. Family members aren't so diligent if they have to hunt & copy & delete & basically workaround what should be there in the first place. That means it's left to me if I want to see how we're doing on the nutrition front. I copies a few recipes to each account (yes manually entered each and every item) just to make the process easier.

So while there is a workaround, it's still not as good as sharing a recipe in my mind. I was delighted the first time I found the ability to copy meals around from diary to diary but the reality is far from the ideal.
    And just one more comment on the subject. I found that my daughter missed on Friday's dinner. So how do I get that into her diary? I can't share the recipe (and it's a homemade meal so no ready scan). I tried the whole click spanner, copy to date thing but I can only go back to Saturday. I'm disappointed that now I'll have to enter the entire recipe by hand into her account just so I can get Friday up to date and be able to view her week. That's why I'd like to share recipes. Stuff gets missed and the ability to copy a meal only a couple days back / forward isn't enough.

This is a relational database issue and should be pretty simple to solve. Please please give us the ability to share recipes to make things easier. Also -- just tried to create a meal and found I couldn't delete items off the meal. So another request -- when I'm using the tool to "remember meal" it would be nice to be able to delete items from it.
  • oldman2oldman2 Posts: 2Member Posts: 2Member
    I too am requesting personal recipes be allowed to be shared.
    It is tedious retyping for multiple family members.
  • oldman2oldman2 Posts: 2Member Posts: 2Member

You create the recipe in your account, log a serving of the recipe to your food diary. Make sure your diary is either public or at least shared with friends and you ARE friends with the people you want to get the info.

Your friends come to YOUR diary using THEIR account, viewing your meals and...

apps (iPad, iPhone and Android) click the wrench / spanner in the header with the meal name > copy to today
    website - click quick tools > copy to today

Thanks Pandorian for the detailed instructions, this does what I need to do.
  • PandorianPandorian Posts: 5,010Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator Posts: 5,010Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator
    No prob, it's still not "recipe sharing" but if they're just eating what you made anyway rather than making it from scratch themselves and "needing" the recipe then it works to get the nutrition in their diary.
  • jthawksjthawks Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    I am frustrated that MFP doesn't provide the ability to copy recipes. Often, I want to make a recipe but change a couple of key ingredients. To do so, I must re-enter the entire recipe as a new one and because my husband and I both use MFP, I have to do it twice. Although I've been using MFP daily for more than a year to plan and track everything we eat, this is becoming more and more problematic. I am wondering if one of MFP's competitors incorporates a recipe copying feature.
  • rdonato555rdonato555 Posts: 1Member Posts: 1Member
    I mean really? Come on guys, add the ability to copy an existing recipe to a new recipe so a few core ingredients can be altered. The development costs to implement such a feature should be minimal. Can't believe this isn't built in already!
  • evertvelevertvel Posts: 1Member Posts: 1Member
    Same goes for me. Please make a copy function. I sometimes change my recipes a bit and it would save a lot of time to copy and edit them. Or at least make it possible to edit and save with another name. It couldn't be that hard!
  • alexanderwickleinalexanderwicklein Posts: 1Member Posts: 1Member
  • spongexpressspongexpress Posts: 1Member Posts: 1Member
    I mean really? Come on guys, add the ability to copy an existing recipe to a new recipe so a few core ingredients can be altered. The development costs to implement such a feature should be minimal. Can't believe this isn't built in already!

This is the most serious problem I'm having with myfitnesspal.

That, and the fact that the abilities to see and edit recipe ingredients are bizarrely hidden in the new mobile app design. The process of modifying and then logging a recipe is hideously awkward and inconvenient:

(Tap the three bars in upper left corner, swipe to scroll down, tap Settings, tap Diary Settings, tap Edit Foods and Exercies, tap My Recipes, tap specific recipe...) Now you see the recipe. (Then, make your changes, tap checkmark to save, tap Dismiss to remove notification, tap back arrow, tap back arrow, tap back arrow, tap three bars or swipe right, scroll up, tap Diary, tap +, tap meal category, tap Recipes, tap your new recipe...) Now you've added the recipe to diary.

Surely the ability to see one's recipe whilst one is making said recipe is a critical feature, as is making alterations to a recipe (whether under the same listing or in the form of a copied and altered new recipe), but right now these are unnecessarily time-consuming and annoying.

I would also really appreciate the ability to sort recipes by, e.g. calories, protein, etc., and to see this information in a list, without having to click on each recipe. Currently with the app, you can see the calorie counts when *adding* recipes (though you can't sort by calories), but you can't see any information beyond the unsortable list of recipe names when *editing* recipes. And when editing, you can't see the nutritional information at all apart from the calorie count, which only appears once you've selected a recipe.
  • doglegleftdoglegleft Posts: 3Member Posts: 3Member

This is the most serious problem I'm having with myfitnesspal.

That, and the fact that the abilities to see and edit recipe ingredients are bizarrely hidden in the new mobile app design. The process of modifying and then logging a recipe is hideously awkward and inconvenient:

(Tap the three bars in upper left corner, swipe to scroll down, tap Settings, tap Diary Settings, tap Edit Foods and Exercies, tap My Recipes, tap specific recipe...) Now you see the recipe. (Then, make your changes, tap checkmark to save, tap Dismiss to remove notification, tap back arrow, tap back arrow, tap back arrow, tap three bars or swipe right, scroll up, tap Diary, tap +, tap meal category, tap Recipes, tap your new recipe...) Now you've added the recipe to diary.

Surely the ability to see one's recipe whilst one is making said recipe is a critical feature, as is making alterations to a recipe (whether under the same listing or in the form of a copied and altered new recipe), but right now these are unnecessarily time-consuming and annoying.

I would also really appreciate the ability to sort recipes by, e.g. calories, protein, etc., and to see this information in a list, without having to click on each recipe. Currently with the app, you can see the calorie counts when *adding* recipes (though you can't sort by calories), but you can't see any information beyond the unsortable list of recipe names when *editing* recipes. And when editing, you can't see the nutritional information at all apart from the calorie count, which only appears once you've selected a recipe.

Yes. This.

Mods is there a way for you to merge this thread with this recently started thread?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1102837-my-recipes-suggestions

There appears to be a growing voice for easier to use recipe features. I know this will be an unpopular suggestion but I would be willing to pay more for advanced recipe features, meal planning, and shopping list functionality. My time and health are worth at least a couple dollars a year (insert sarcasm font).
  • homerhathomerhat Posts: 1Member Posts: 1Member
    Same here, I really think that copying a recipe to then amend one or more of the ingredients
    would make the app a lot easier and more intuitive to use.
    March 2013 - that's when I posted this thread. Today is Oct 9, 2019. Six long years and still the recipe features and meal sharing is quite lame. I've said all along I'd be willing to pay if this app would just leap into today's technology. It shouldn't be this hard. My husband wants me to use MFP again but I won't. It was hard 6 years ago and it's hard again today to manage family and homemade meals. I'm only here because he needs a recipe I'd created 6 years ago for his MFP account and I guess I'll have to go through the manual process of recreating this for him.
    Just another quick note that I just spent 15 minutes on a 6 ingredient recipe. And why? 1) because I can't share it off my profile and 2) because the database of ingredients is full of errors and missing information on nutrition. Sifting and sorting takes up considerable time. So to recap - make recipe management EASIER please. 6 years after my first request (and not the first to ask for this) is certainly time enough to get this done and right.