Replacement for cheese?

So I'm cutting out dairy intake - just for a little bit (for reasons, too long to explain though -.-) And the hardest part is yogurt and cheese. I can't do too much about the yogurt..but is there any way I can fulfill my cheese craving? I love making homemade pizzas and pasta sauces, however they always involve cheese!! I've heard a couple of things such as using tofu, and cashews.... but any other ideas would be appreciated :D

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    There's vegan yogurt and vegan cheese. I have a bag of almond cheese in my fridge right now. I've made pizza with it before. Also, rice cheese. There's tons of diary-free "dairy" foods. Milk, butter, cheese, mayo, ice cream, yogurt, etc.
  • kelsierose094
    kelsierose094 Posts: 232 Member
    There's vegan yogurt and vegan cheese. I have a bag of almond cheese in my fridge right now. I've made pizza with it before. Also, rice cheese. There's tons of diary-free "dairy" foods. Milk, butter, cheese, mayo, ice cream, yogurt, etc.

Where abouts would I find these things? Just health food stores? I imagine they'd be a bit pricey :ohwell:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member

Where abouts would I find these things? Just health food stores? I imagine they'd be a bit pricey :ohwell:

I've gotten them from Whole Foods but you might be able to get it at Wegmans, Harris Teeter, MOM's, Trader Joe's, or other organic/health type grocery stores.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    The cheese one is hard, if you live in the USA you can get what's meant to be a decent cheese called daiya or something...

I sprinkle nutritional yeast on pizzas, and stir it into white sauce for "cheesy topping" on lasagne, it's delicious!! Couldn't live without nutritional yeast!

You can get loads of good yogurts, alpro soya is my favourite, you'll find them in your average supermarket
  • sailawaykate
    sailawaykate Posts: 126
    Vegan cheese is also nasty. Source: ex-vegan.

If you're wanting to cut back on dairy, just cut back on dairy. Don't try to replace it. There are lots of other flavors out there that cheese can cover up. Just make it a once-a-week thing or something. Or cut it completely out for like a month, then do a test day where you eat dairy, and evaluate how it makes you feel. If you're not lactose intolerant (and aside from the high calorie count in most cheese), what's the reasoning behind cutting it out?

Note: I will eat the crap out of cashew "cheese" sauce on macaroni. The only cheese kind that rivals it is my sister-in-law's mac & cheese and I only get that like once every three years...
  • kelsierose094

If you're wanting to cut back on dairy, just cut back on dairy. Don't try to replace it. There are lots of other flavors out there that cheese can cover up. Just make it a once-a-week thing or something. Or cut it completely out for like a month, then do a test day where you eat dairy, and evaluate how it makes you feel. If you're not lactose intolerant (and aside from the high calorie count in most cheese), what's the reasoning behind cutting it out?

Note: I will eat the crap out of cashew "cheese" sauce on macaroni. The only cheese kind that rivals it is my sister-in-law's mac & cheese and I only get that like once every three years...

I've heard of "mac and cheese" with cashew cheese sauce, very interested in trying it!
  • kelsierose094
    The cheese one is hard, if you live in the USA you can get what's meant to be a decent cheese called daiya or something...

I sprinkle nutritional yeast on pizzas, and stir it into white sauce for "cheesy topping" on lasagne, it's delicious!! Couldn't live without nutritional yeast!

You can get loads of good yogurts, alpro soya is my favourite, you'll find them in your average supermarket

Ooo I have nutritional yeast but am yet to use it. What exactly do you do with it????
  • jaz100_nz
    jaz100_nz Posts: 21 Member
    If you are just trying to cut down and want a topping for pizza or pasta I would suggest substituting a big pile of grated cheese for a few slices of fresh parmesan or similar. It's stronger so gives you the taste and because its shaved it looks more than it is. And looks fantastic on a pizza.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    My favourite non-dairy yogurt is So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt in blueberry flavour. Unfortunately the protein content kinda sucks, but it's nice for a treat every once in a while.

Luna & Larry coconut milk ice cream is really good, their cappuccino one is amazing.

cheese i've kinda lucked out that my stomach has been alright with goat cheese so i just try to stick to that. I've had Daiya (it's actually made here in Canada) and it's O.K. but it certainly doesn't taste like real cheese.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    No!!! Nothing can replace cheese! Nothing!!!!
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    No!!! Nothing can replace cheese! Nothing!!!!
    '
    this...I might die without it :frown:
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Lactose intolerant here. I use nutritional yeast. It's not too bad.
  • DragonSkip
    DragonSkip Posts: 59 Member
    I know they have some of the vegan cheeses at Kroger in the nature mart section. I've seen it around at some other chain groceries too.
  • mflinn84
    mflinn84 Posts: 35
    Here are some ideas:

Hummus (roasted red pepper is my favorite).
    Sprinkly parmesan (yes, I know, it's still cheese but it's pretty low calorie and works on rice, popcorn, pasta, crackers, sammiches)
    Seasoned avocado (guacamole without the sour cream)
    Tofu
    Infused olive oil (infused with garlic, rosemary, anchovie, whatever)

Hope this helps!
  • JRChadwick
    JRChadwick Posts: 52
    Some times I have replaced some of the cheese I put on pizzas with avocado. It is creamy and nutritious, but not too rich in flavor and it doesn't over power the pizza.
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Yes to hummus--I love love love it--which is a problem too. I just made cucumber crackers with hummus as the spread--so good. Since there isn't a great substitute, perhaps coming up with some other foods that add richness or texture. I'm thinking perhaps using more chopped nuts sparingly as one idea. Still thinking about hummus. . . :)
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member

This. Its noxious. I'd much rather go without. It doesn't melt like normal cheese and the mouth feel is unappealing. If you must go without dairy, just go without diary. Cheese substitute is never going to satisfy cheese cravings - I just found they made it worse.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    :huh: There is no replacement for cheese. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't eat cheese - I've tried a few substitutes - just gross. :sick:
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    The mac and cheese mentioned calls for nutritional yeast, and it's INCREDIBLE, all my cheese eating friends adore it too, soooo good, it's an indulgent treat and I make some changes - use a cup of carrots and .75 cups of potato, and no miso, use a little soy sauce instead. The trick is to puree the cashews for AGES, once it came out grainy and it was rank. I put the nuts in the blender first and cover them with boiled water and let them mingle while I cook the carrots. Then let everything blend together while I cook the pasta and broccoli (I cook the pasta - I use macaroni - then add the broccoli for the last three minutes). I should be perfectly smooth by then.

http://veganyumyum.com/2009/01/mac-cheeze-take-2/

Other uses for it, I sprinkle it right on top of things before I cook them, like cannelloni for example. I've heard of a hard cheese style thing where you grind cashews with equal part yeast for a good cheesy topping on pasta or pizza.

For the likes of lasagne, make your basic white sauce (make a roux with melted dairy free "butter" and plain flour, cook until it comes together and add enough of your favourite milk to make it the desired consistency. Then add about a quarter cup of yeast and it is delicious. I usually season more with fresh black pepper and herbs or some concentrated vegetable stock but that's up to you.

It's been tried and tested on meaties, peskies, veggies and vegans and so far these have all gone down a treat
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Almond cheese is by far the best of the vegan cheeses, IMO. Nutritional yeast is good, but if you dive in and have a whole bunch of it right off the bat, you may have digestive issues, so I'd ease into that by sprinkling a little on something for starters.