Replacement for cheese?

2»

Replies

• kaylalryan
    kaylalryan Posts: 136 Member
    I agree with pretty much everyone here.... cheese substitutes are kind of a waste of time and money. Not good at all.

BUT...cashew and nutritional yeast based macaroni and faux cheese dishes are actually really good! I finished mine with some sauteed mushrooms and truffle oil. Obviously, it is not the same as regular mac and cheese, so dont expect it to be. BUT, SO GOOD! My dairy farmer grandfather even loves it!
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    I agree with pretty much everyone here.... cheese substitutes are kind of a waste of time and money. Not good at all.

BUT...cashew and nutritional yeast based macaroni and faux cheese dishes are actually really good! I finished mine with some sauteed mushrooms and truffle oil. Obviously, it is not the same as regular mac and cheese, so dont expect it to be. BUT, SO GOOD! My dairy farmer grandfather even loves it!

Ding ding ding! Most are an insult to food. Awful. Cream cheese subs are good for cooking, I had it in my cannelloni last night with spinach, onions, garlic, peppers and mushrooms, and they flavoured it beautifully.

But on a bagel?

Eurgh
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    I gave up dairy 2 months ago, and have seen great improvements in my life because of it. Feel free to add me!

My boyfriend has celiac disease, so we are a dairy free, gluten free household for the most part. We make pizza pretty often still, and its delicious! We buy gluten free pizza mix, and use dairy free cheese. I agree with other posters, that expectation is everything.

I really like Daiya cheese, it is awesome! It can be a little hard to find, so stock up when you see it.

www.godairyfree.com is another good resource for dairy free products. They have a ton of product reviews.

I am interested to find a good sub for feta cheese though, if anyone has one, please let me know!

Good luck!
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Veggie cheese slices aren't toooo bad. I like the avocado and hummus ideas!
  • freshmenthesis
    freshmenthesis Posts: 36 Member
    Daiya is the brand you want to look for. Their non-dairy cheeses are great! They are also made from minimal ingredients. Trader Joe's carries the best non-dairy cream cheese with the best price but there are many brands for cream cheese and sour cream,etc. Non-dairy yogurts are great too and you can find them in all kinds of different forms; from almond milk, coconut milk or soy milk. SO Delicious has a coconut milk greek style yogurt that I love. I have not experimented with cashew/nut cheeses yet although I have had dishes with such a thing at vegetarian restaurants and they were very good. Check out any of the specialty health food stores and you should find some options. If cutting out/back on dairy is something you want to do, it's really not that hard and you should enjoy it. The most precarious situations I have found are when milk is an ingredient in something you wouldn't expect. If you are not eating a ton of processed foods and/or aren't concerned with totally cutting out dairy than this shouldn't be too much of a problem for you. Stay positive though, people tend to be too quick to get combative when you talk about your choices.