How much did I burn? How do I know?

Options
I am reading other's posts and seeing that alot of people are burning 400, 500 calories by exercise. I spent 30 minutes on my treadmill yesterday. 20 minutes was at a brisk pace, 5 minutes at a jog and another 5 minutes at a leisurely pace (trying to catch my breath) but only burned 165 calories. I was a puddle of sweat . My first instinct was to say forget trying to run its not worth it...not for 165 calories. I was told to get a heart monitor to be more accurate but not really sure what my heart rate should be at and for how long. Any help would be great.

Replies

• samaniegord
    Options
    I am reading other's posts and seeing that alot of people are burning 400, 500 calories by exercise. I spent 30 minutes on my treadmill yesterday. 20 minutes was at a brisk pace, 5 minutes at a jog and another 5 minutes at a leisurely pace (trying to catch my breath) but only burned 165 calories. I was a puddle of sweat . My first instinct was to say forget trying to run its not worth it...not for 165 calories. I was told to get a heart monitor to be more accurate but not really sure what my heart rate should be at and for how long. Any help would be great.
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Hi Sam

In general terms, your Target Heart Rate (THR) is 60-80% of your maximum heart rate (MHR). The Karvonen Method of calculating THR is one of the most effective methods of determining target heart rate because it takes into account resting heart rate. Here's how to find your THR.

Here's How to calculate it:-

1. Find your resting heart rate as soon as you wake up. You can do this by counting your pulse for one minute while still in bed. You may average your heart rate over three mornings to obtain your average resting heart rate (RHR). Add the three readings together, and divide that number by three to get the RHR. For example,

(76 + 80 + 78) / 3= 78.

2. Find your maximum heart rate and heart rate reserve.
    Subtract your age from 220. This is your maximum heart rate (HRmax). For example, the HRmax for a 24-year-old would be

220 - 24 = 196.

Subtract your RHR from your HRmax. This is your heart rate reserve (HRmaxRESERVE). For example,

HRmaxRESERVE = 196 - 78 = 118.

3. Calculate the lower limit of your THR. Figure 60% of the HRmaxRESERVE (multiply by 0.6) and add your RHR to the answer. For example,

(118 * 0.6) + 78 = 149.

4. Calculate the upper limit of your THR. Figure 80% of the HRmaxRESERVE (multiply by 0.8) and add your RHR to the answer. For example,

(118 * 0.8) + 78 = 172.

Warning:
    The target heart rate is an estimate only! If you feel yourself becoming exhausted, then you are working out too hard and should ease off.
    Do not move your fingers in a massaging motion when taking your carotid pulse. This can lower blood pressure and cause dizziness.
    If you are just beginning a workout plan, you should consider exerting yourself only enough to reach your THR lower limit.
    Talk with your doctor before beginning any exercise program, especially if you have been leading a sedentary lifestyle.

Hope this is what you are looking for...

Al

Source: http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Your-Target-Heart-Rate
  • samaniegord
    Options
    Okay AL My resting hear rate is 82 and my age is 39. I figured my lower was 141.4 and than got lost...what am I shooting for again to burn calories and how long does it need to be there?
  • Slender1
    Slender1 Posts: 185
    Options
    Here is a great website that will give you the average amount of calories burned. You select the activity. Then enter in your weight. Then depending on the exercise, it will ask you if it was moderate, vigorous, etc.

http://www.self.com/fitness/activity/calculators/
  • jamie77
    jamie77 Posts: 101
    Options
    The HRM is a great investment. I didn't have one until a week and a half ago. Before I was going by the estimates on MFP and come to find out, my HRM says I'm burning twice as much as I thought. I seem to be losing inches much faster now by knowing I'm in the right heart rate zone and knowing I'm eating the right amount of calories. They are a little pricey, but I think it's worth it. :smile:
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Anything you do is going to burn calories, the target heart rate is a guide to maximise the time you have to excercise but with out over doing it. Thats the theory anyway...

In your case the lower limit as you said is 141.4 and the upper limit is 161.2

"they" say we should aim for 30 minutes of exercise a day.

For me personally i go to the gym 6 days a week and train for about an hour each time.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Here is a non-math way to find the Karvonen HR:

http://www.briancalkins.com/HeartRate.htm

To increase the calorie burn on a treadmill, up the incline - it will really change that calorie burn. Also the treadmill you were using could have been way off. For now, just use mfp's calorie burn.

Good luck!