Visiting a medium/spiritulalist

twinketta
twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
I have a friend (co worker) that is so into visiting a medium/spiritualist to give him advice on his life.....I hear it all day long about how this medium has recommended this or that.

He split with his boyfriend a few months ago and then his cat died a couple of weeks ago. I know he feels down but we all have problems and I try to tell him that `visiting the other side` as he calls it, is not really the way to deal with life.

This medium has told him names of relatives that have passed away and how` they feel `he should live his life.

I keep telling him he is giving money to this person that he may as well keep in his pocket.

What do you think?

Replies

• mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    I too have psychic powers.
    I see your friend ignoring your advice.
    I see you continuing to press the issue.
    I see your friend avoiding you in the future.
    And I see your friend continuing to waste his money on a slick con artist.
  • ok, this is going to be a hard answer, but I'll try to put it simply.
    1.)I am a medium of sorts (channel, to be specific).
    2.)I read tarot cards for people.
    3.)I have never charged a dime for what I do, even though I have been offered money, I have never taken anything more than a drink or a sandwich for it.
    4.)I think that anyone who takes advice from ANYONE; ministers, rabbis, imams, mediums, of a spiritual nature and does not use common sense is a moron.
    5.)I think anyone who gives their life savings to a faith healer or minister is an idiot.
    6.)I think anyone who listens to any authority without any questioning or thinking for themselves (and that includes television newscasts, which as a former reporter I know are 99% bull crap) is an idiot and deserves to be fleeced. I don't care if it's your parents, a teacher at college, a public face for science, a cop, a lawyer, a reporter, or a Priest; your an *kitten* if you follow blindly.

Do I think mediums are for real? Some, yes. Most are full of it, however.
    Do I think these experiences are real? I'm not sure, though experience shows yes.

I think your friend needs to look into his own heart, that's where the real answer is.
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    If it makes him happy who are we to judge? Just be his friend and listen if he needs you to.
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Mediums, I think it's bull****.:smokin:

Let life happen, paying someone to "predict it" or whatever is just silly.that's just my opinion though
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    a wise man once said "a fool and his money are soon parted".

nobody has any special gift or power...what they do have is a great way of reading people's facial expressions....pulling clues from them and making them think they are doing something supernatural.

none of these charlitains have ever been able to prove their abilities in a controlled experiment.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Some people need a crutch/something to believe in. I know it's hard to watch someone getting taken advantage of etc. but at the end of the day it is his life & he will live it the way he wants to.

I'm a bit of a sceptic but you just never know about these things.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Some people need a crutch/something to believe in. I know it's hard to watch someone getting taken advantage of etc. but at the end of the day it is his life & he will live it the way he wants to.

I'm a bit of a sceptic but you just never know about these things.

no. if you see a friend ruing their life through alcoholism you step in....people have ruined their lives falling for fortune tellers and they wind up giving them their life savings.

OP...dont let your friend get sucked in;
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    I think sometimes, whether it's with a medium or psychologist, certain people will use their advice to basically justify their own thoughts and desires. It just works like an extra little confidence boost. Obviously common sense comes into play here, too, but I wouldn't have a problem with a friend who spends some of their money on mediums. There are a few out there who are excellent. As long as he doesn't start spending his life savings, selling all of his belongings, and becoming a stripper in order to pay for his sessions and "fulfill his destiny"... I think he's fine. :wink:
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    my aunt goes to guided meditation sessions, her son (my cousin) and his girlfriend were killed in an accident a few years ago, going to these guided meditations in which she sometimes receives signs or communications from her son are helping her deal with the loss that I'm sure no one can understand unless they have lost their child.

She has always been very spiritual, so this is not something that seems far fetched for us to hear about. But my thoughts are everyone deals with the situations in their life differently, if what someone is doing is helping them deal with what they are going through and affecting them in a positive way, who am I to judge.

If your issue is with listening to him talk about it, can you wear headphones at your work? or take breaks at a different time? to let him know you don't want to listen to him anymore.