Yoga and Balance

A question for all of you Yogis out there, has anyone gone from having really bad balance to good balance from Yoga? I have HORRIBLE balance. Probably a mix of my mom being over protective as a kid (no climbing anything) and having a inner ear problem (also hearing issues from it). I also have a lazy eye... so lots of things working against me >.<

I have a hard time with almost any yoga move that requres some level of balance. I keep on trying anyways in hopes that one day I'll be able to do so. Has anyone had success with this or will I always be a wobbly yoga practiciner?

I love yoga regardless, just wanted some insight/experances from the board.

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    In short yes, though it os close to needing sleep for me so I will PM you later.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Not a yoga practitioner, but I find Pilates has really helped with my balance by making my core stronger.
  • Yes, it's helped me a lot but it can be a slow process.

Other exercises that help my balance are lunges, step-ups (both while holding weights), and even squats.

My balance also improved a lot when I took up rock climbing. Many climbers use yoga to help them improve in their sport.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    My balance has dramatically improved in the past 6 months, but I think it has more to do with developing a strong core in general than with specific moves or exercises.
  • Yes, yoga will improve your balance! If you consistently practice and incorporate a variety of balance poses you will get better. When I began practicing yoga I couldn't stand in tree pose for more than 3 breaths. A couple years later and I'm doing balance poses that I never thought possible. Good luck!
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    I have an inner ear disease that messes with my balance. I'm almost 4 months in to doing yoga 2 times a week and there is a big difference. My balance is much improved. I recommend trying it. My instructor gave me modifications to help at first so I didn't fall on my head! Bu now I'm top of the class!
  • Thanks for all of the replies! Gives me some hope :)
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Your balance will definitely improve as your core strengthens and becomes strong. Give it time and use props if necessary. Slowly adapt to the poses until you are comfortable with your strength!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    the foundation of balance is strength. the best way to improve strength is strength training... yoga can do this if there are strength components.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Yes, definitely! Yoga helps my balance. Any other strength exercises help as well, but yoga is where I get to test it all out. *on my way to class right now* :smile:
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Absolutely, both for the core and other muscle strengthening, but also for the "learning to tell your mind to shut the hell up and only focus on not falling over" aspect. This is why it's important (IME) to have a good teacher and a good atmosphere. Yoga at home never really worked for me - I need the whole shebang in order to really dive in. If my mind is racing, I fall over in tree pose. If my mind is truly on my mat with me, I could stand there forever.
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    In addition to the above, strength etc, it is essential to find your Drishti, your point of focus as you balance.
  • linnaeus
    linnaeus Posts: 36 Member
    My balance became rock solid after doing about 4 months of tai chi with a really good teacher. The important part though is balancing one leg for 1-3 minutes, timed, 1-2 times/day. Start just with heels together, toes apart like 2 sides of a triangle(this is tai chi not yoga) and put all the weight in one foot and ever so slightly lift the other one's heel off the ground. Bend knees/hips as need to maintain soft belly and upright position. Really connect to the rooting feeling through the one foot. Push yourself! This becomes tiresome pretty quick, but it does absolute wonders for balance. Gradually sink deeper into the hips as your muscles get stronger. Use what you know from yoga to keep healthy posture in the body. Hope this helps!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    I have a lazy eye and a mild version of cerebral palsy. My balance for the longest time was nonexistent. It's still crap compared to others, but has improved considerably still is. Yoga, Pilates and strength training all helped. TRX I think was the biggest factor though for me.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    My balance has dramatically improved in the past 6 months, but I think it has more to do with developing a strong core in general than with specific moves or exercises.

That's what I was going to say as well. The improvements to core strength and flexibility make balancing easier. Yoga can be great for building core strength.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Hi - I haven't got a lot to add really from what others have said. Just needed to sleep first!

Standing on one leg type poses were terrible for me at first but a few things worked which a good teacher gave to me.

One was to make sure that all four corners of the foot are pressing down into the floor. Also ensure you are gently tipping your hips forward and upward with a slight contraction in your lower abs.

Finally, a teacher once told me to imagine that there is a helpful practise partner standing in front of you, behind you and one to each side of you and they are lightly supporting you as you stand there on one leg - it might be Tree pose for example. No-one is actually holding you there, but having this image in your mind will help you stay stable and relaxed.

It's often a balance between keeping the core firm and also being relaxed enough to allow some movement within limits. You learn to be quietly in control and this is where the moving meditation in yoga resides.

I hope these things help you.