Clean Eating

So. my parents get mad at me when I tell them I'm trying to eat clean, telling me I'm too restrictive about what I'm eating, and that its just a fad diet. And that it's too expensive because it requires everything to be organic, and grass fed meat. They also tell me that my weight loss goals are unrealistic and unecessary.
How do I explain to them that it's a perfectly good way of eating, and get them to support me in my weight loss efforts?

Replies

• bd12310007
    bd12310007 Posts: 24
    I've also barely lost any weight, so I guess I need to eat cleaner.
    Any tips on how to eat cleaner on a budget and a busy shedule? Diary is open.
  • craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    13 pounds is alot of weight. It looks like you only started in May. You did not gain the weight overnight and you are not going to lose it overnight. Just keep on doing what you are doing. I would tell my parents that I wanted to learn healthy eating habits.
  • You do seem like you're at a low weight. What's your height?

I think your parents are just looking out for you and they have a point. Eating "clean" doesn't change how much calories your body burns. Creating a modest caloric deficit will lead to the weight loss everyone looks for (losing fat and not muscle). If you have issues with sodium, then avoiding processed foods will be helpful. If not, then I don't see the benefit.

As for organic foods, don't make the mistake of thinking that organic = healthy. The "organic" label simply means different standards for food production. You can still have produce treated with pesticide whether they carry the organic label or not, for example, making it little more than an advertising scheme. Just because something is synthetic doesn't mean it's any more or less harmful than "organic" products. People just have this phobia regarding synthetic foods or genetically modified foods (which farmers have already done for thousands of years) or processed foods, etc. It's just that: a phobia.

I say listen to your parents.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Diary looks okay. Although I'm sure someone more clued up than me could offer you specific advice with it. As for your parents you could show then some info relating to clean eating benefits. As for the cost factor do you contribute to the shopping costs? If not - now might be the time to start chipping in :smile:
  • bd12310007
    bd12310007 Posts: 24
    I,m 5'3 and I've heard that eating clean in combination with deficit is the only way to lose weight.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    I,m 5'3 and I've heard that eating clean in combination with deficit is the only way to lose weight.

Nope! It's all about the deficit & exercise to lose weight, "clean" eating isn't necessary. However, good nutrition is obviously important & the way to go.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    Who'd you hear it from?

Calorie deficit is what causes weight loss. Doesn't matter what you eat either.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    I've also barely lost any weight, so I guess I need to eat cleaner.
    Any tips on how to eat cleaner on a budget and a busy shedule? Diary is open.

My diet is mostly clean and my diary is public if you want some ideas. I usually eat lentils for protein (one cup has the protein of 3 eggs). They don't require soaking and cook in about 30 minutes. Add brown rice and vegetables and you have a complete meal. I spend about $100 a month on groceries, way less than when I was buying processed food. If you're busy, cook meals ahead of time and freeze them.

You can lose weight with any kind of food, not just "clean" food, meaning not processed. Just have a calorie deficit. However, food that is not processed, not full of salt, chemicals, and sugar, will give you better nutrition. I'm a big junk food queen and found my sugar cravings disappeared once I stopped eating sweets.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Just tell them it's your hobby. You don't need to justify your lifestyle choices to them.

My lifestyle choice is to store 9 pounds of cherries in the fridge and munch on them every few hours. I also mix cocoa powder into oatmeal. I don't have to justify this to anyone.

That being said,some of the most expensive aspects of clean eating (organic, grass fad) offer only mild benefits - a superior omega - 3 ratio in grass fed beef, and potentially slightly reduced exposure to pesticide residue; at least it's advertised that way.

For weight loss and low body fat It's more important simply to consume a general healthy diet of fruit, veg, whole grain and lean protein - hit macros and lift weights - than to do the more intensive costly things recommended by certain celebrities and groups with high income. A room with a barbell / dumbbells, a sidewalk outside, and some basic foods are all the average person needs to get started. I prefer not to over complicate things.

Tosca Reno makes me laugh with her bee pollen supplements!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    So. my parents get mad at me when I tell them I'm trying to eat clean, telling me I'm too restrictive about what I'm eating, and that its just a fad diet. And that it's too expensive because it requires everything to be organic, and grass fed meat. They also tell me that my weight loss goals are unrealistic and unecessary.
    How do I explain to them that it's a perfectly good way of eating, and get them to support me in my weight loss efforts?

If you are living with your parents and they are paying for the food, then this is a perfectly good reason for them to say it's unnecessary.

Also, only deficits will lose weight. You can lose weight (albeit not in a healthy way) eating nothing but Twinkies. Hardly what clean eaters would consider clean.

I would also not be surprised if your parents are correct in telling you that your goals are unrealistic. You are 5'3. A weight of 100 lbs is VERY low, too low. Ideal weight recommendations for small framed girls your height is 111 - 124.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    There is nothing wrong with eating clean... the organic thing may well be a bit of overkill since the "standards" for organic are pretty wide (aka... no real standards to speak of so you don't really even know what you are eating)... As far as your goal being unrealistic, for your height, your parents are absolutely correct. 120 is toward the mid point of your IBW range.. actually a tad below center... this is likely why you are having a hard time losing more than a pound or two a month... 100 is underweight and very much not recommended.

My recommendation for you is to focus on fitness. If you have issues with the way your body looks, at your weight, I would start trying to focus on building a little muscle... Yes, if you are small boned, a small weight loss may help.... but if you are medium boned, you now weigh about what you should; that being said, I think that many folks think they need to lose weight when what they really need to do is to get in shape... They need to build muscle tone and strength. By doing this, your size will actually drop but you will still be at a healthy weight. Many folks try to lose weight but really what they lack is a solid muscle base.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    You could get a job and buy your own food...and cook it, then you would not have to explain anything. Otherwise, if THEY are footing Your bill, you might help out by taking less from them as a trade off, like less new clothes and shoes or no new electronics...

Also, eating "Cleaner" has nothing to do with wt loss, it has to do with HEALTH! You can eat junk and processed foods and lose weight, in fact Most people who lose wt eat processed and junk foods all the time with little to no REAL nutritional value. So, you may need to do more Research as to WHY you want to eat a certain way...Personally, I don't know the real purpose of eating pastured beef when it will cause cancer just like the ones in the stock yard, it does not digest any better in the Body.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Hey MFP friend. As you already know, I'm also petite and originally had about 13 pounds to lose, now only 6. You definitely don't have to eat clean 100% of the time to lose weight. The reason why it's often suggested in weight loss plans is that it's much harder to exceed your calorie limits when you are only eating raw vegetables, fruits, lean meats, etc. than it is when you are eating processed food (seriously, a few handfuls of chips and a bowl of *good* ice cream and I am pretty much over my limit already.). But I always sneak in small amounts of ice cream, candy, bread, etc. when I can - or sometimes when it's the only thing I have on hand.

I know how hard it can be to try to explain yourself to a family that does not understand your goals, or who thinks you are "fine" the way you are. (But maybe you don't want to settle for just "fine", right?) Everyone's situation is different though, but I've learned to try to limit serious talks with relatives as much as possible. And if they are supplying the food, then try to make it work the best you can.

I am about to fall asleep on my laptop, so maybe this was not the answer you were looking for tonight, but feel free to message me any further questions whenever. :flowerforyou:
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member

As others have said, losing weight is all about the calorie deficit. How you get there, IIFYM or clean it's personal preference.
    Make sure you are being accurate about the calories and exercise logged.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    This is not true. I don't eat "clean", and I have lost weight just fine, and am maintaining. I cook a lot from scratch, with whole ingredients, but I don't avoid processed or non-organic foods. It's a valid choice to do so, but it doesn't make much difference to weight loss.

Are your parents paying for the food? If so, I guess it's not surprising that they don't want to pay ore for what they see as a "fad", and if they've eaten a certain way all their lives, and have no problem with it, then it's understandable that they might see clean eating as a fad.

If you're paying for and preparing your own food, then I'd say just ignore them and carry on. It's your life, your diet, your choice.
    I would also not be surprised if your parents are correct in telling you that your goals are unrealistic. You are 5'3. A weight of 100 lbs is VERY low, too low.
    ^and also this. Parents don't always know best, but in this case, it sounds like they're spot on. :flowerforyou:

(editing to add: weight loss will be slow when you are already a healthy weight.)
  • HealthFitNow
    HealthFitNow Posts: 1,205 Member
    Knowledge is power. I am swayed by responsible reporting on food subjects. e.g. Mercury toxins in fish. Detoxifying needs. I visited the Whole Food Farmacy http://wholefoodfarmacy.com and received a disk which used an ABC Peter Jennings report on bad stuff in food. In addition, it offers a quick and easy way to diet cleanly. It's not cheap. I loved it, but can't afford it now. It made me stronger and healthier. My blood sugar balanced and I detoxed every night with a detox shake.

There is plenty of material that can support your case for eating quality food.

I don't know about your weight loss goals in relation to your size/height etc. Balance is certainly the goal in all things. Parents want good things for their children, so if you can show the ways that your goals will be good for you, they may come around to your thinking.