MFP Trolls-- please explain

Good Morning to Everyone!

I am fairly new to MFP... so please believe that this is an honest question.

What is considered a "troll" and how can you tell when a post is from a "troll." Also, what is the point of "trolls."

I am very genuine when I give advice on here and I just want to help. I want to be able to know when I am not talking to someone to is legit.

Have a great day :)

Replies

• tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    I think in general, it is someone looking for responses without being serious. Troublemakers, looking for opposition and keeps posting, someone who is generally new, or old and coming back. Some have been expelled and come back in a new profile and have desires to "get even". Any way you look at it, they are usually not worth replying to, but can give others an outlet to vent as well. Hopefully more people will just start to report the thread and not respond to it, the admin team will get rid of if.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    A troll is someone that is messing around in one way or another. I do that from time to time but i just got accused for trolling when i was not. It is a double edge sword.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    A troll is someone that is messing around in one way or another. I do that from time to time but i just got accused for trolling when i was not. It is a double edge sword.

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

Guy loses almost all his weight, gets within 2 pounds of goal, eats teeny 36 calorie pack of M&Ms, and wants to give up forever.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    I'm cool with eradication of some trolls, but much is just harmless banter reported by sensitive individuals.

If you venture to the chit chat boards expect a free-for-all (and MFP is MUCH tamer than almost any other site you'll visit there).

The worst trolls are the ones that give bad information on the serious topics in a way that will be taken for truth or misconstrued. Those are the dangerous ones to this site IMO.
  • magnum26
    magnum26 Posts: 356 Member
    From Wiki:

Person who sows discord on the Internet by trying to start arguments and upset people. They may do this by posting deliberately inflammatory,extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

Guy loses almost all his weight, gets within 2 pounds of goal, eats teeny 36 calorie pack of M&Ms, and wants to give up forever.

Word
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member

What is considered a "troll" and how can you tell when a post is from a "troll." Also, what is the point of "trolls."

I am very genuine when I give advice on here and I just want to help. I want to be able to know when I am not talking to someone to is legit.

a troll is somebody who deliberately posts a thread (or response on a thread) to cause people to get angry, upset, or argue... solely for the amusement of the troll and the chaos that ensues.

people joking and kidding around with their posts are generally not trolls.
  • A troll is someone that is messing around in one way or another. I do that from time to time but i just got accused for trolling when i was not. It is a double edge sword.

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

Yep, classic example of a troll. :smile:
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    From Wiki:

Person who sows discord on the Internet by trying to start arguments and upset people. They may do this by posting deliberately inflammatory,extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

This. The best trolling ever used to occur on Usenet. Nowadays too many people take honest disagreement, or even ignorance, as trolling. It is all about the intent.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member

A pretty good way to tell if someone is trolling is to determine just how ... I guess you could say outrageous their statements sound. Are they making statements that nobody in their right mind would make, like "let's all get together and bomb the Pringles factory for making such unhealthy food"? Obvious troll. I ate 12 calories over my goal and I'm gonna quit and go eat every pizza I can find? Chances are, trolling. Also, look at their # of posts. Chances are, anyone who has over 1000 posts and is talking stupid is going to be doing it for the sake of entertainment.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member

You must be new to the internet in general.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Thanks everyone. It is sad that people wold want to start drama with people who are serious about getting healthy :(
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    troll_zpsc7814497.gif
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Try to read as many comments as possible before answering. Eventually, you'll pick up on whether or not it's a troll. You'll start seeing a pattern with that poster. Or unless the poster has 1 or 3 posts and ridiculous statements.

Welcome to MFP.

eta: I'll take your advice any day :wink:
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    trolls.... those things you find in caves and forests right?
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    :laugh:

This is fantastic. You can usually tell when someone is a troll by their over-the-top, nearly hysterical over reactions/statements.

i.e. In this case, "I ate 36cals worth of M&Ms, so I QUIT 5EVER!!!"

Note: Sometimes they succeed in sounding more like a toddler than... well, toddlers.

:flowerforyou:
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

LOL!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

Yep, classic example of a troll. :smile:

actually, not a troll thread at all. an unfunny thread? yes. but it wasn't trolling.
  • 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member
    So I have a question - why does the troll get so much enjoyment from messing with people. I mean is their life that boring that they must cause drama with a bunch of strangers on a weight loss website? I barely have time to start drama in real life...let alone on the internet. :smile:
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    keep-calm-and-don-t-feed-the-troll-22.png