MFP Trolls-- please explain

Replies

• EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Or that thread I saw you post in lilcassers. That girl who claims she's just going to breath, absorb sunlight, and drink water to survive? The scary part is sometimes I'm not sure that people like that are kidding. They'll take any quick fad diet over science.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Trolls - I has them:

troll.jpg?w=470&h=352
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    tumblr_m26xepxzfX1qlp4j1o1_400.jpg
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    tumblr_lyagcy2tEH1r5gvg1o1_500.gif
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    There are several layers to the MFP trollology:

a. Parody posts: Someone sees a ridiculous post full of stupid that could potentially harm someone's goals or is generally offensive. They post a parody post so they cannot be accused of directly attacking the OP.

b. Spam/advertising: Anything promoting fad diets/cleanses/shakes/workout routines that end with 'PM me for more info'.

c. Hurtful posts: Posts where the OP is just trying to cause an argument for whatever reason. These are often very subtle and can start out as 'advice' or 'help me' posts, but quickly descend into the OP insulting/reporting everyone who tries to help.

d. Broscience: Any post with ridiculous claims not based on scientific fact. They are then challenged by intelligent people. The OP becomes angry/defensive and says things like, 'I wasn't asking your opinion', 'this works for me' or 'we're all different' despite the fact they often end their original post with 'Thoughts?' or 'Discuss'.

e. Flooding: The OP posts the same or similar topics over and over and gets the same answers, but seems to be incapable of accepting them as truth. They then ragequit and start another thread in the hope of getting the answer they want to hear.

Does that cover everything?

p.s. OP = original poster
    ragequit = gettting angry and abandoning the thread or asking the mods to delete it.
  • Gurlyknockout
    Gurlyknockout Posts: 115 Member
    trolls.... those things you find in caves and forests right?

No they live under bridges and sing songs before making you solve a riddle to pass on the bridge. ( Dora)
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    tumblr_m26xepxzfX1qlp4j1o1_400.jpg

That's just evil
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    am i the only one annoyed by the fact that so many people don't understand the difference between humorous posts/threads (even ones that aren't funny) and actual troll posts/threads?

if people just refer to anything they don't like as "trolling", then the word ceases to have any meaning.

for example,

"help, my cat sabotaged me by eating my last piece of bacon!" <-- not trolling
    "help, my girlfriend is getting manly by lifting weights!" <-- trolling
  • So I have a question - why does the troll get so much enjoyment from messing with people. I mean is their life that boring that they must cause drama with a bunch of strangers on a weight loss website? I barely have time to start drama in real life...let alone on the internet. :smile:

Why? The world may never know. It's unfortunate that the internet has ushered in an entirely new world of trolldom - once upon a time such individuals were isolated and unable to unleash their malcontent and cynicism upon the public at large. Now? It's a free for all no matter where you go, and this is a perfect place because they know that there are going to be people who are struggling with a problem that carries a big social stigma.

Honestly, some people are just jerks. If you start to see folks making ridiculous comments on your posts or status updates and you aren't sure, send them a PM. You'll easily weed out the meanies from the legitimate users.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    SQUIRREL!!!

42132895_scaled_372x480.jpg
  • TammyS327
    TammyS327 Posts: 134 Member
    Good Morning to Everyone!

I am fairly new to MFP... so please believe that this is an honest question.

What is considered a "troll" and how can you tell when a post is from a "troll." Also, what is the point of "trolls."

I am very genuine when I give advice on here and I just want to help. I want to be able to know when I am not talking to someone to is legit.

Have a great day :)

You must be new to the internet in general.

If you are new to MFP, you might want to change your joined date. May 2012? That's not very new to me.
  • 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member

How do you know - maybe his girlfriend is getting manly by lifting weights? I mean she could be out lifting him and making him question his manlyness. :laugh:
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    So I have a question - why does the troll get so much enjoyment from messing with people. I mean is their life that boring that they must cause drama with a bunch of strangers on a weight loss website? I barely have time to start drama in real life...let alone on the internet. :smile:

Try it some time and find out.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    am i the only one annoyed by the fact that so many people don't understand the difference between humorous posts/threads (even ones that aren't funny) and actual troll posts/threads?

if people just refer to anything they don't like as "trolling", then the word ceases to have any meaning.

for example,

It's pretty widely accepted that the term "troll" has been expanded, though. Not to invalidate what you're saying--someone being stupid or ignorant is not a troll. But I'm just saying... the trolls. They're breeding and they've set up their own sub-genres of trolling. Eek, we're screwed.
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    There are several layers to the MFP trollology:

a. Parody posts: Someone sees a ridiculous post full of stupid that could potentially harm someone's goals or is generally offensive. They post a parody post so they cannot be accused of directly attacking the OP.

b. Spam/advertising: Anything promoting fad diets/cleanses/shakes/workout routines that end with 'PM me for more info'.

c. Hurtful posts: Posts where the OP is just trying to cause an argument for whatever reason. These are often very subtle and can start out as 'advice' or 'help me' posts, but quickly descend into the OP insulting/reporting everyone who tries to help.

d. Broscience: Any post with ridiculous claims not based on scientific fact. They are then challenged by intelligent people. The OP becomes angry/defensive and says things like, 'I wasn't asking your opinion', 'this works for me' or 'we're all different' despite the fact they often end their original post with 'Thoughts?' or 'Discuss'.

e. Flooding: The OP posts the same or similar topics over and over and gets the same answers, but seems to be incapable of accepting them as truth. They then ragequit and start another thread in the hope of getting the answer they want to hear.

Does that cover everything?

p.s. OP = original poster
    ragequit = gettting angry and abandoning the thread or asking the mods to delete it.

I always wondered what OP meant. Often when I'm bored, I read the message boards for entertainment..:laugh:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member

How do you know - maybe his girlfriend is getting manly by lifting weights? I mean she could be out lifting him and making him question his manlyness. :laugh:

you can tell because each thread title lets you know the intended reaction. the troll doesn't care about the thread itself... they are going for a reaction. if the thread is designed solely to make people angry or upset, it's trolling.

a troll gets amusement from stirring up trouble and watching people get angry.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    I consider a troll to be someone with a fake profile, pretending to be someone they are not. I had two prior connections, Nikkahug or something like that and Nina, known as glamorous_rn. They played the part and this niki chick played a terrible joke, "her friend posted her avatar being in the hospital and on the ventilator, brain dead"....many believed it and were caring and upset and concerned. Come to find out it was all a lie as the pic was from an actual accident in Canada....that's what I consider trolling....

Also, the connections you have that are Silent Bob, never say anything, but troll the feed and only communicate via PM. I have a few of those on my FL...not sure why

A fake profile does not mean they are a troll. They may just want anonymity. But, yes, a fake profile can be used to facilitate trolling.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member

for example,

Agreed. It is rather disheartening.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    in for troll gifs!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    5172012000040sqocC.gif