Why not shrimps?

Replies

• Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    They're expensive, they're high in cholesterol, they're not very easy to use to make something in meals..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    They're expensive, they're high in cholesterol, they're not very easy to use to make something in meals..

dietary cholesterol has little to no bearing on blood serum cholesterol or LDL levels. I had high blood serum and LDL cholesterol. I eat two whole eggs per day (very high in cholesterol) and often eat shrimp...at least once per week. I no longer have high LDL and my ratio of HDL to LDL is excellent.

Cholesterol issues are, in my experience, far less about what you're eating and much more about what you're not eating and what you're not doing...i.e. getting enough fruits and veg and exercise.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member

Au contraire...

"Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sauté it. There's, um, shrimp kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp in potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That's, that's about it."

Add to it one of my favs...shrimp tacos...and the list goes on and on...
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Um...because like lobster and crab, they are actually BUGS.

Seriously, friends. Ew.

Nobody I know takes a fist full of spiders or scorpions, throws then into a pot of boiling water watching for their backs to pop open, waiting with the melted butter, to serve.

Anywho.

That said...I just may make some scampi this weekend...=^x^=

Arthropod
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An arthropod is an invertebrate animal having an exoskeleton (external skeleton), a segmented body, and jointed appendages. Arthropods are members of the phylum Arthropoda (from Greek ἄρθρον árthron, "joint", and πούς pous (gen. podos), i.e. "foot" or "leg", which together mean "jointed leg"[2]), and include the insects, arachnids, and crustaceans.

Arachnida – spiders, scorpions, etc.
    Merostomata – horseshoe crabs, eurypterids (extinct), etc.
    Pycnogonida – sea spiders
    Subphylum Myriapoda
    Chilopoda – centipedes
    Diplopoda – millipedes
    Pauropoda – sister group to millipedes
    Symphyla – resemble centipedes
    Subphylum Crustacea
    Branchiopoda – brine shrimp etc.
    Remipedia – blind crustaceans
    Cephalocarida – horseshoe shrimp
    Maxillopoda – barnacles, copepods, fish lice, etc.
    Ostracoda – seed shrimp
    *Malacostraca – lobsters, crabs, shrimp, etc.*
    Subphylum Hexapoda
    Insecta – insects
    Entognatha – wingless
    Incertae sedis
    Camptophyllia (extinct)
    Class Marrellomorpha
    Marella (extinct)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crustacean
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Taste, frankly. The shrimps I've found in the US are just blend and not worth the high cost, compared to what I used to have in France.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Do you know how much of a pain it would be to raise good eating spiders?
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    High sodium, high cholesterol. That said, I eat them a lot!
    Same here. I know the reasons not to do it too often, but I do love my shrimps...
  • LavaDoll
    Do you know how much of a pain it would be to raise good eating spiders?

Win.

=^x^=
  • 2b_perfect00
    2b_perfect00 Posts: 24 Member
    Really any sea food is going to be high protein. Shrimp, scallops, crab, fish. Even canned tuna is amazing for protein. :) I feel like it''s one of those treat foods. IDK. I eat seafood at least 2X a week.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    wish i could have shrimp and lobster but got a severe shell fish allergy
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member

Seriously, friends. Ew.

Nobody I know takes a fist full of spiders or scorpions, throws then into a pot of boiling water watching for their backs to pop open, waiting with the melted butter, to serve.

Oh. Should I stop doing that?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    IDK why people don't talk about it. But I eat shrimp pretty regularly. It's one of my favorite foods.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Some people don't like those cockroaches of the sea. I :heart: em'. I make Mexican Shrimp cocktails every now and then. They're definitely a splurge at the supermarket along with salmon filets. I never attempted cooking lobster. For that, I just go to Red Lobster.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    OMG now I want shrimp! I think as everyone else said, price. I don't mind frozen shrimp, though, which is less expensive. It's actually fairly easy to cook shrimp, I think anyway. Although it's not healthy, my favorite way to cook them is in a ****load of butter with spicy seasoning, old bay, and minced garlic. Nom nom nom.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Mmmm, I don't know but I :heart: shrimp.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member

Seriously, friends. Ew.

Um, people all around the world incorporate differing forms of "bugs" (spiders and scorpions aren't insects, you know) into their cooking. Sorry you're locked into your western box.
  • LavaDoll

Seriously, friends. Ew.

Um, people all around the world incorporate differing forms of "bugs" (spiders and scorpions aren't insects, you know) into their cooking. Sorry you're locked into your western box.

Um, duh. Sorry you didn't read ahead to where I declare my intent to prepare scampi in the coming days, and instead, decided ignorant personal insults were the way to go.

You know nothing of me. Or, apparently, of irony.

Nemaste, friend.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member

Seriously, friends. Ew.

+1! Boo ethnocentrism!!!
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    BTW...the plural for shrimp is shrimp. With that said and who really cares, I grew up on a coastal area and ate fresh shrimp often. Now living this far inland...it's sorta OK and rather expensive. Also, at my age...the sodium, cholesterol comment applies. However, when back on the coast, I eat em boiled and chilled...

But I do like short people.

7fc3d9a1007c3800_hobbit.preview.jpeg

LOL I was wondering when someone would point out the plural of shrimp is shrimp. Not disappointed, it happened on page 2.
  • aalhasan
    aalhasan Posts: 104
    BTW...the plural for shrimp is shrimp. With that said and who really cares, I grew up on a coastal area and ate fresh shrimp often. Now living this far inland...it's sorta OK and rather expensive. Also, at my age...the sodium, cholesterol comment applies. However, when back on the coast, I eat em boiled and chilled...

But I do like short people.

7fc3d9a1007c3800_hobbit.preview.jpeg

LOL I was wondering when someone would point out the plural of shrimp is shrimp. Not disappointed, it happened on page 2.

Both forms are correct.