Meat eater, vegetarian or vegan?? Which are you?

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    I love meat!!!! LOVE IT! Its delicious!!!!!

Ive heard different things.. meat is good for you.. meat is bad for you...

thoughts?

I am an ethical omnivore. I eat meat and plants - free range and organic.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    I am mostly vegetarian. i don't have anything against meat, I just don't like it, especially red meat. I do eat chicken and seafood occasionally and on very rare occasions maybe a hamburger. I never cook meat at home. When I eat in a restaurant I try to order some type of grilled fish, salmon, shrimp, etc.

Due to my lack of meat eating, I found out from the doctor I have a vitamin B12 deficiency which I now get monthly shots for to make up for it. Vitamin B12 is naturally derived from meat. So if you don't eat it, I would get your levels checked. My lack of B12 caused a lot of problems with my nervous system.
  • eileenm777
    eileenm777 Posts: 31 Member
    Is the new term 'flexitarian'? Mostly vegetarian with the occasional fish or meat meal.
  • minimagic2700
    minimagic2700 Posts: 18 Member
    Having a diet preference is like having a penis. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around... and PLEASE don't try to shove it down my throat.

Seriously, unless you are coming over to my house for dinner, I don't think I need to know what your preference is.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    80% vegan.

I eat mostly vegan at home, but I'll have meat or cheese if I go to restaurants or visit friends/family.

For me it's about taste, ethics, health, AND especially the environment. Eating meat everyday is bad for all of the above, but eating it once in a while is ok.
  • I am mostly vegetarian. i don't have anything against meat, I just don't like it, especially red meat. I do eat chicken and seafood occasionally and on very rare occasions maybe a hamburger. I never cook meat at home. When I eat in a restaurant I try to order some type of grilled fish, salmon, shrimp, etc.

Due to my lack of meat eating, I found out from the doctor I have a vitamin B12 deficiency which I now get monthly shots for to make up for it. Vitamin B12 is naturally derived from meat. So if you don't eat it, I would get your levels checked. My lack of B12 caused a lot of problems with my nervous system.

Eep! - Yeah, B12 deficiency is nothing to joke with. There are vegetarian supplements, as the B12 is made by bacteria anyway, even the one you eat in meat. So they just grow the bacteria in a lab and continue from there to produce supplements.

So, I take a B12 supplement daily. - Vegan leaning Vegetarian, btw.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Vegetarian........ but I loooove meat! It's just ethical with me. Partner's a meat eater and son's a vegan which makes for very interesting mealtimes :laugh:

Yep, sounds like my family 2 kids Veg, 2 Kids Vegan, Omni husband. I've been Veg for 3 1/2 years & I have no desire to eat meat, most likely ever again!
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Meat eater for life! Rawr :devil:
  • bystander1943
    bystander1943 Posts: 31 Member
    I consider myself an omnivore. End of story.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    .Vegan. Beginning of journey.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Vegetarian
  • 2sweet84
    2sweet84 Posts: 26 Member
    i'm a vegetarian. no meat or fish since i was 13, am now 30 and can't see it changing, it's a way of life for me now do not feel like i'm missing out in anyway. I used to work part time at mcdonalds in my student days & the amount grease that is drained off the burgers at the end of the day - yuck!
    Each to their own i guess but i'm happy with my choice
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    pescatarian. af first i started for health reasons, now it's for both health and ethical reasons.

eta: we eat fish maybe once a week. we're phasing it out, though, so we can be fully vegetarian. we have vegan dinners once or twice a week.
  • awie11
    awie11 Posts: 44
    I'm a meat eater, but I still consider myself a healthy eater. Junk food for me is a rare occasion. (Maybe once every 2-3 months) and I eat consistently healthy nutritious meals. Without meat I just can't get my protein in because I've tried going vegetarian before and I just can't stand tofu, tempeh or any of those vegetarian sources of protein
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    I'm a vegan as I'm allergic to animal protein. I go through phases of kidding myself that I'm okay if I have a little and have organic eggs from our own chickens, but I can't maintain it without becoming ill. About 2 eggs once a month is my limit without being unwell.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Vegan! because:

(1) Avoiding animal products is entirely sustainable in this day and age (and is actually becoming more and more recommended by health practitioners!).

(2) The cruelty done to animals to obtain these products is more than I can even bear to think about.

(3) Putting the above 2 facts together: there is no need for me to cause needless cruelty in order to sustain a healthy lifestyle where I am still able to work out and eat a healthy balanced diet, so I choose not to. To say that "meat is yummy" is not a good enough reason for me.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Omnivore. That said some days I will end up being vegetarian/vegan/whatever. It all depends.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    I am a vegetarian and will be transitioning to vegan shortly. My husband eats meat so I still make it for him.

I went vegetarian and soon to be vegan for ethical reasons. I do not push my choice of lifestyle/diet on anyone else and hate when people try to tell me my choices are wrong. One reason we rarely, if ever go see a friend of ours because everytime we are there I get harassed about how my choices are wrong, I'm not able to get all I require, how I'm forcing something on my husband (which I don't because he's a big boy and can make his own choices), how I'm missing out because meat tastes so good, etc etc.
  • BiancaMarie819
    BiancaMarie819 Posts: 67 Member
    Pollotarian! Not sure if I would ever go to being full on vegetarian though.

Pollotarian for those who don't know are people who eat ( turkey, chicken, fish) but not red meat( cows, pigs) steaks, burgers, stuff like that. My dad raised us that way since he is a pescatarian/vegan( no dairy products, or animal byproducts only fish and veggies)
    You'd be surprised how many people are shocked when they here me say I've never had pepperoni or bacon!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    I'm a proud member of PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals.