Never ate healthy before. Suggestions?

I've always eaten moderately/healthy foods, however because of my medication which as a side effect is an appetite surpressant I've never been able to achieve my BMR (1215). In fact, my calorie consumption is so low it's embarassing. However, I've noticed that event though I've been working out I haven't lost the amount of weight the average person would lose in the time I had.
Any tips for stretching out calorie consumption to 1215 calories? Maybe help with meal plans? I just don't see how I could eat 1215 calories a day...
P.S. I burn maybe 800 calories a day by working out.

Replies

• ChangingJosh
    ChangingJosh Posts: 37 Member
    Perhaps you should visit with your doctor to see if there's any alternatives to your medication that don't suppress your appetite? There's food out there that we can suggest, but if you don't feel like eating it, it's not going to do you any good. :( Do you know if there's any alternatives to your current medication?
  • Aderall is the only medication that works for me. The problem is that I don't know where to start. I don't know hot to eat a lot, or eat a balanced meal. :/
  • salt160
    salt160 Posts: 44
    Try adding more meat (protein) to your diet. Nuts and dairy (whole organic) are also great foods that will help with adding calories, nutrition and are healthy as well.
  • Try protein shakes or bars for snacks. They offer a good amount of calories and if you don't eat often because of your medication, its a quick snack where you can get most of your nutrients. With the protein shakes, throw some fruit in there and coconut shreds and you have even more calories.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Peanut butter, avocados, saute foods in coconut oil, take protein shakes, eat some chocolate or dried fruit. Not hard.
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    So far all suggestions are great!
    Eat "real food", which means staying away from processed and pre-packaged foods and try to stay away from artificial sugars.
    Attempt to eat local;y grown and organic foods.
    I know this can be a pain since it means you will have to cook your meals but it becomes a habit after a while.
    Try to eat a least two meals a day, and yes, it is Ok to eat bacon, and eggs for breakfast. :wink:
    Snacks can be fruit, nuts, a protein drink, vegetables....

Have fun with it!!!!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    So far all suggestions are great!
    Eat "real food", which means staying away from processed and pre-packaged foods and try to stay away from artificial sugars.
    Attempt to eat local;y grown and organic foods.
    I know this can be a pain since it means you will have to cook your meals but it becomes a habit after a while.
    Try to eat a least two meals a day, and yes, it is Ok to eat bacon, and eggs for breakfast. :wink:
    Snacks can be fruit, nuts, a protein drink, vegetables....

Have fun with it!!!!

How is a protein drink an unprocessed food?

OP eat calorie dense foods. Breads, whole milk, meats, cheeses, fruit, juice, etc., are all great ways to boost your intake
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    omg your pretty, what was the question again?
  • Frag_Bunny
    Frag_Bunny Posts: 39 Member
    I had the same issue but with a different medication. First thing I did was eat 5 times a day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. Breakfast was always a combination of eggs, meats like ham or peameal, fruit and yogurt. Basically all four food groups. Snacks were using something with a good balance like and apple with peanut butter, nuts, veggie stick and hummus. meat and cheese ect. Lunch I'd have all four food groups and dinner the same. Lunch was usually a sandwich with a glass or milk and a fruit or veggie. Dinner usually a piece of meat, potato or pasta, veggies. I was never a fan of protein bars because I found they made me retain water and they would give me an energy spike and then a crash but thats just what they did to me. if you find some you like that work for you, awesome.
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    omg your pretty, what was the question again?
    Right there with ya!
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    You don't need an appetite to eat. I'm sick a lot with major GI issues and I have very little appetite but I always eat at least 2,000 calories a day. And I lose at least a pound a week.

Eat what you should to be healthy. Just do it. If you are committed enough, you will find a way to make it happen.