Too much.

How much do ya'll consider "too much" exercise in one day? I love it and my boyfriend keeps telling me I need to slow it down or I'll be sorry because my body will hate me for it? I know I need a day of rest at least once a week and I have been doing that..but how much is too much?

Replies

• food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    How much do ya'll consider "too much" exercise in one day? I love it and my boyfriend keeps telling me I need to slow it down or I'll be sorry because my body will hate me for it? I know I need a day of rest at least once a week and I have been doing that..but how much is too much?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    I think that's going to differ widely from person to person.

And, I think you have to come to know your own body to educate yourself on how much you're pushing it.

Also, it depends greatly upon your goals--is it "just" weight loss" you're after? Or do you have other goals in mind?

For example, I ride my bike. Now--if I was just out to lose weight, I could ride for an hour or so a day and that would be plenty to accomplish weight loss. HOWEVER--I have other goals in mind then just weight loss.

--I want to ride in a 60 mile charity bike ride in October 08
    --I want to ride a Century ride (that's 100 miles) by next spring if not sooner
    --I have one more goal that I'm keeping to myself for now (sorry all but will tell share at some point :blushing: ) that will involve a LONG ride over mutiple days.

Now, to accomplish the goals above, I have to ride more than 1 hour a day; so, I ride at least 30 miles when I go out and now do two 40 mile rides 2x a week as well. They take over 3 hours to complete.

Do you see what I mean about goals playing into how much you're exercising?

Hope I've helped!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I think a big factor in this is variety. If you're running for 2 hours a day every day, then that's too much. But, if you do weights one day, bike the next day, walk, yoga, etc. . .I think the trick is to mix things up.

I don't take a "day off" right now, but I do have variety in my work outs, and I have days that I exercise less. For me, I just feel better if I have some exercise during my day.:flowerforyou:

Just for curiousity. . .how much per day are you doing?
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    If you are doing more than 1 hour per day, you need to look at a workout schedule. People training for marathons, triathlons and other long distance events have easy, medium and hard days. Some are super long (up to 6 hours in a day) and some day are 30min. These schedules are usually created with the help of a coach and are set up to increase fitness without tearing up the body. To just go out and do one exercise at one pace for extended periods is a recipe for trouble.