You know you're a Nerd when...

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    When you walk into your computer lab to find a friend high on Acid making love to a floppy drive and don't think much of it...

Does this mean all nerds make love to floppy drives?

Oh you're telling me you've never thought long and hard about a joystick in times of loneliness?
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    I thought all that made one a geek and that gamers really were nerds? WTH do I call gamers now? Gamers? That won't work for me - there are too many levels of gaming. I mean, console gamers were always just gamers to me. Even PC gamers are just gamers....but tabletop gamers are like a different species. If they're not nerds, what are they?
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    I am a Gamer, also a Geek, not a nerd. I haven't got time to be a nerd, you need a profession where by your geek levels are boosted to nerd level through what you do.

Geek - Hobby
    Nerd - Full time profession.

My opinion anyway........
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    You know that you're a nerd when you describe organic chemistry as fun with puzzles, and solved them on the dry erase board in your dorm lounge for all to see!
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    When you win the chess tournament as one of the youngest players.

When you play MTG and not only know the best combos but every flavor text by heart.

When your best friend is your brother, and he is a science nerd liken to Sheldon (just call me Leonard).

When you beat gamers at VGs. Gamers are owned by geeks. I'm proof.

When all of your artwork at one time was anime and manga based and you wanted to write a graphic novel (and draw it)

I am really not a geek anymore though I stopped drawing, stopped writing, rarely beat gamers at VGs, haven't played any form of RPG or even online based ones.

I am getting a degree in nursing, which isn't easy, but certainly isn't the mathematical or scientific goal my parents wanted me to strive for.

I still play chess against my computer (or did til the crap went blue screen kamakazi on me). Pos.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    when you can live in world based on a single piece of paper and a roll of a dice. D&D FTW.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member

When you play MTG and not only know the best combos but every flavor text by heart.

When your best friend is your brother, and he is a science nerd liken to Sheldon (just call me Leonard).

When all of your artwork at one time was anime and manga based and you wanted to write a graphic novel (and draw it)

I am really not a geek anymore though I stopped drawing, stopped writing, rarely beat gamers at VGs, haven't played any form of RPG or even online based ones.

I am getting a degree in nursing, which isn't easy, but certainly isn't the mathematical or scientific goal my parents wanted me to strive for.

I still play chess against my computer (or did til the crap went blue screen kamakazi on me). Pos.

what was wrong with MTG? I won $10k playing it.
  • alpha_andy
    alpha_andy Posts: 160 Member
    you solve the Rubik's cube and then make patterns in it afterwards
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member

what was wrong with MTG? I won $10k playing it.
    :noway:
    I didn't memorize flavor text back in the day because I disliked MTG. I also played D&D :) started at age 10.
  • carlos13th
    carlos13th Posts: 40 Member
    When you spend an entire day watching lectures and debates online.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    I thought all that made one a geek and that gamers really were nerds? WTH do I call gamers now? Gamers? That won't work for me - there are too many levels of gaming. I mean, console gamers were always just gamers to me. Even PC gamers are just gamers....but tabletop gamers are like a different species. If they're not nerds, what are they?

These days there are different kinds of gamers. Back in the 80's and 90's most gamers were nerds cuz you had to be hella smart just to setup the system without mom and dad. Or finish games due to convoluted puzzles; king's quest anyone? Learning to build a PC for yourself because your parent's computer sucked and console games were nothing. Multiplayer console FPS is what made gaming mainstream and that didn't really kick off until Goldeneye64. Other kids couldn't understanding how a dial up modem lets you play diablo 1 with people all over the country. And don't even get me started on how confusing it was to setup quakeworld.net or the original gamespy.

And we didn't get all our kicks with video games. We know the difference between a lifecounter and a REAL D20.
    I'm attacking the darkness!!!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    The definition of nerd , geek etc has changed drastically specifically in the 2000s ...

I realized this when attractive and hot people played World Of Warcraft and they sounded like normal people on vent yet still played

I think there are so many categories and ways of identifying nerds - geeks etc

Like I am definitely not an intelectual nerd by any means but I am a huge sci fi fan, RP'r, gamer, comic book aficionado etc
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member

PS reading Harry Potter and watching episodes of Dr. Who does not a nerd make. Only spending hours hiding in the library at school so the mean girls wont pick on you a nerd makes.

Well glad I still fall under that. :smokin:
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    You are teaching your students balancing chemical equations and then go into a 30 minute happy rant about how awesome these are and how you do them for fun when you are bored. Then you go off on a physics tangent, and your poor eighth graders are just looking at you like this. :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Can you people speak English please? The rest of us cannot understand a word you're talking about.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    The one thing most nerds/geeks had in common was being socialy awkward during our adolescence. And the one thing we feared more than the opposite sex; phys ed. You can have whatever bizarre trait and consider yourself one of us. We had to deal with it most our lives so us ON's and OG's won't discriminate. Plus, knowing the universal greeting will definitely help.

Bah weep granna weep ninny bon?
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    When you attended a high school that had a LAN party the same night as the prom... and the LAN party was better attended.
  • mstissa02
    mstissa02 Posts: 88 Member
    Yes, definitely!! Big Bang Theory is like my undergraduate physics & calculus classes with funny students who knew what they were talking about all in one sitting!!!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member

Hahaha I was coming on here to post this since people were mentioning how definitions have changed:

eIuoF.jpg