You know you're a Nerd when...

Options
13»

Replies

• logicofsound
    Options
    Aw, I don't think I count as a nerd then. I have the build for my computer picked out but I won't be able to afford anything interesting, just a damn good CPU and a few extra hard drives for multiple OS. I know I could partition, but I want to swap in and out between Linux, Various versions of Windows, and whatever other OS's I can find that might be fun to play with - possibly Haiku?

And these days I have to spend time studying, and not playing with programming :( Oh well, at least the studying promises to be more interesting eventually...
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    when you understand the term 'Not Enough Minerals' and 'Creeps'
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Aw, I don't think I count as a nerd then. I have the build for my computer picked out but I won't be able to afford anything interesting, just a damn good CPU and a few extra hard drives for multiple OS. I know I could partition, but I want to swap in and out between Linux, Various versions of Windows, and whatever other OS's I can find that might be fun to play with - possibly Haiku?

And these days I have to spend time studying, and not playing with programming :( Oh well, at least the studying promises to be more interesting eventually...

Sounds nerd enough to me since most people don't know the difference between a fan and a heatsink. Copying and pasting a link of someone else's graphic isn't a valid argument of what is and isn't nerdy. Any true nerd would've had a sever case of CDO, picked the photo apart, and then created their own with diagram which would've been a 50 slide power point presentation with peer reviewed essay.

And I'm fully aware it's OCD, but my version is in ABC order.
    when you understand the term 'Not Enough Minerals' and 'Creeps'

Awesome games, unless you're CDO then a total nightmare.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

Sounds nerd enough to me since most people don't know the difference between a fan and a heatsink. Copying and pasting a link of someone else's graphic isn't a valid argument of what is and isn't nerdy. Any true nerd would've had a sever case of CDO, picked the photo apart, and then created their own with diagram which would've been a 50 slide power point presentation with peer reviewed essay.

And I'm fully aware it's OCD, but my version is in ABC order.

I'm way too goddamn busy working on papers for my Master's to make my own diagram since I have to do all the work for my two month long class within the next two weeks due to travel. Sorry if I don't fit your definition of nerd because of that, but feel free to pick it apart yourself, make that 50 slide power-point presentation with peer reviewed resources, and send it to me :flowerforyou:
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    you know you're a nerd when you watch the Big Bang Theory marathon and totally understand what they are talking about! #lovethatshow #marrymesheldon #nerd
    Watching it as I type this... although I do understand more of the neuroscience than the physics.
    You are teaching your students balancing chemical equations and then go into a 30 minute happy rant about how awesome these are and how you do them for fun when you are bored. Then you go off on a physics tangent, and your poor eighth graders are just looking at you like this. :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
    That reminds me of my organic chemistry professor. And my calculus 2 professor. The former would go off on hour-long tangents (it was a 5 hour evening class) about how much of a *kitten* carbon is, and the latter would make math jokes over every equation he wrote on the board. They were both a little too excited about the subjects.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    You've seen every internet gif or meme at least 3 days before a friend passes it on to you.

I wonder if I've crossed the line between nerd and loser, lol...
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

I'm way too goddamn busy working on papers for my Master's to make my own diagram since I have to do all the work for my two month long class within the next two weeks due to travel. Sorry if I don't fit your definition of nerd because of that, but feel free to pick it apart yourself, make that 50 slide power-point presentation with peer reviewed resources, and send it to me :flowerforyou:

This ppt and essay will have to wait. I'm currently pre-occupied conducting research on my thesis of "Why Mandalorians are better than Jedi". :laugh:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    The one thing most nerds/geeks had in common was being socialy awkward during our adolescence. And the one thing we feared more than the opposite sex; phys ed. You can have whatever bizarre trait and consider yourself one of us. We had to deal with it most our lives so us ON's and OG's won't discriminate. Plus, knowing the universal greeting will definitely help.

Bah weep granna weep ninny bon?

I don't know what in the world I was/am! I was the chubby girl with glasses who was still pretty great at phys. ed. and had friends...not really awkward, but worried myself sick about spelling errors on signs at the grocery store, and read 20 times the number of books as anyone else throughout K-6, got an A on every test without studying or doing homework... Now I'm the woman who wins trivia contests and bridal shower games because I have everything memorized and alphabetized in my brain. My fiance and I have 3 degrees between us and all we're *really* qualified to do is win at Jeopardy and make obscure literary references to amuse ourselves and annoy others.

Geek, nerd, I don't know...dork? I don't have a clue of the correct term for me!