Chemicals: It's in everything, including "natural" food

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
I stumbled upon an article yesterday at work and it was really good at explanation (in layman's terms) at how chemicals are "viewed" by the general population.
With this rise in lifestyle commentary, misconceptions about what chemicals are and what they do have increased and
spread. So much so, that the facts about chemicals seem surprising and counter-intuitive. Do people know that nothing can be ‘chemical free’? How many know that ‘E-numbers’ simply denote approval for food use and include some essential vitamins? Did you know that your body functions in exactly the same way whether you follow a ‘detox’ regime or just a normal
diet? Or that the idea of the‘cocktail effect’ in relation to alcohol is an urban myth? When it comes to chemicals, there are so
many misconceptions that people are often scared and anxious when they needn’t be,and complacent when they shouldn’t
be.
So why is there such a disconnection between perception and reality? It seems partly to be the result of intensive merchandising of ‘alternative’ products, lifestyle ideas and campaigns that play on misconceptions about chemicals and
about how the body works.
It is also notable that lifestyle commentators are excluded from science-related briefings,
and have few opportunities to make relevant scientific contacts. So, something needs to be done by the scientists
in a way that is genuinely helpful to people writing quick copy for a lifestyle audience.

http://www.senseaboutscience.org/data/files/resources/5/MakingSenseofChemicalStories_July08-Reprint.pdf

It's a pretty good read for those trying to figure out if they are eating too many "chemicals" in their food and that's why they have a weight problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• ninerbuff
    bump
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    "the result of intensive merchandising of 'alternative' products"

,,,that's the whole thesis right there. In the end, they are JUST PRODUCTS someone wants to SELL you
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Thanks.. still going to avoid as many added and man made chemicals as i can. :~) To err is human.. but nature is perfect :~)
  • ninerbuff
    Thanks.. still going to avoid as many added and man made chemicals as i can. :~) To err is human.. but nature is perfect :~)
    So you'd drink water from a river rather than water treated with chemicals to ensure safer drinking? Nature ain't perfect, it's just nature.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I would, have have, drank fresh water from a river, that had bugs on it's surface and was running fast.. you're right.. it's not always perfect.. but i have a brain and i know how to use it.

to each thier own.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    To sort of put a few things about chemicals in perspective, my wife is going through an Organic Chemistry 2 class. Her, being a native Korean speaker, uses me as a guinea pig when reading her lab reports. She has successfully extracted and purified caffeine from steeped tea bags, b-carotene from carrot juice, and a whole host of other direct chemical extractions from standard household products.

The interaction between chemicals with solubility, and polarity and proton balance, etc. really makes you appreciate the necessities of your body and how sometimes, something like eating a raspberry vs. raspberry ketones can change in purpose drastically, or not at all. With better living through chemistry you can get better or worse reaction with your body, depending on what you use or ingest.

Additionally, the fact that you have to go all the way up to an Organic Chemistry 2 class to even fathom some of the chemical reactions makes it extremely simple for some charlatan, or snake oil peddler, or fear monger, or rumormill to say anything they want about nearly any product, food or supplement and have people get sucked in to believing it.

TL;DR - Nature IS Chemistry
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    I would, have have, drank fresh water from a river, that had bugs on it's surface and was running fast.. you're right.. it's not always perfect.. but i have a brain and i know how to use it.

to each thier own.

Apparently you've never had giardia...

To which I say "lucky you!" I aint fun.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Interesting perspective!

I do think people need to understand a bit more about what certain chemicals are. For instance, citric acid is just dehydrated lemon juice (that's why the alternative name is lemon salt).
  • ninerbuff

to each thier own.

Apparently you've never had giardia...

To which I say "lucky you!" I aint fun.
    Not to mention cryptosporidium. Of course if one ingests either, they can claim it as a natural "detoxifier".:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Interesting perspective!

I do think people need to understand a bit more about what certain chemicals are. For instance, citric acid is just dehydrated lemon juice (that's why the alternative name is lemon salt).
    Hopefully some will take the time to read some of the article.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member

to each thier own.
    I think we take for granted the ability to choose to be natural. Most places just want their water and food sources to be safe, but we are so safe that we're fighting for natural, not realizing that "natural" is a result of our already safe circumstances. I mean, we stock our organic, locally-grown, gmo-free kale in a modern refrigerator. When do we start sacrificing our safety in the name of all-natural?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Should have people make lists of things they trust the government with. Always interesting to see.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member

to each thier own.
    I think we take for granted the ability to choose to be natural. Most places just want their water and food sources to be safe, but we are so safe that we're fighting for natural, not realizing that "natural" is a result of our already safe circumstances. I mean, we stock our organic, locally-grown, gmo-free kale in a modern refrigerator. When do we start sacrificing our safety in the name of all-natural?

Good point! It's like people who are on the Paleo diet. As Alan Aragon says:

"The present decade has just begun, and eating clean has taken some interesting directions. One is an appeal to imagination about Paleolithic eating habits, which eliminates the consumption of grains, legumes, dairy, added salt, sugar, alcohol, and even certain vegetables. This definition of clean is perhaps the most logically inconsistent one. It emphasizes a prehistoric model, yet many of its proponents take an array of cutting-edge nutritional supplements, and use satellite technology to navigate their drive to the closest parking spot at the gym. Fruits and vegetables have always been a mainstay of clean eating, but pesticide-free produce is now somehow cleaner, pests and all."
  • aakaakaak
    Should have people make lists of things they trust the government with. Always interesting to see.

Would you trust the government to tell you the water from that natural spring hasn't been polluted by fracking or something else?
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    My problem is adding chemicals excessively or when we don't need them. Like adding high fructose corn syrup and sugar...why do we need both? I believe in altering our food when it creates a better product...like cooking tomatoes to produce more lycopene. I just don't understand the processing of food when another product that is just slightly less processed is just as good.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    I think the main issue is people should be more aware of what they put in their mouth and on their skin. OP is offering education - though a little biased - which is great. Just let people educate themsleves and make up their own minds please. I can't stand preaching, no matter on which side they're on. Everybody is right. Just go with what you're comfortable with.
  • AJ_G
    My problem is adding chemicals excessively or when we don't need them. Like adding high fructose corn syrup and sugar...why do we need both? I believe in altering our food when it creates a better product...like cooking tomatoes to produce more lycopene. I just don't understand the processing of food when another product that is just slightly less processed is just as good.

High fructose corn syrup is a signal of economic waste and is a product of government subsidies for corn farmers. So many farmers are growing corn because the subsidies have made it profitable, so the excess gets turned into HFCS and that's why it is of such prevalent use in the U.S. instead of sugar.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member

Would you trust the government to tell you the water from that natural spring hasn't been polluted by fracking or something else?

Exactly. There are regulations to protect the water supply from fracking. Do you believe they are effective? Do you believe scientists are actually responsible for chemical policy? Do you trust the government to spend your taxes efficiently? All sorts of questions to ask. If you fully trust government food oversight, but fully distrust the government in other ways, is that sensible?

I just think it would be funny to see the lists of things people trust the government to do or not.
  • aakaakaak

Exactly. There are regulations to protect the water supply from fracking. Do you believe they are effective? Do you believe scientists are actually responsible for chemical policy? Do you trust the government to spend your taxes efficiently? All sorts of questions to ask. If you fully trust government food oversight, but fully distrust the government in other ways, is that sensible?

I just think it would be funny to see the lists of things people trust the government to do or not.

My first furlough day is tomorrow. How far do you think I trust the government?
  • AJ_G

2hsbwjd.jpg