Substitutes for rice

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

All white rice is "processed garbage"? And you believe brown rice is automatically superior to white rice?

I just...

...I, uh...

I mean...

I can't...

Wha?

Not really I don't like brown rice, I prefer Wild Rice, the nutrition of most brown rice is just as comparable to white rice, some just might be slightly better but most are just as processed as white rice. You"ll see it wasn't in my list of suggestions I was just simply stating that most restaurants have substitutions. If you have a little here and there fine ( I love my sushi) but there are better option and I'm not in denial that its healthy. If you ate nothing but 3 Mcdonalds burgers everyday and were below your calorie deficit sure you could still lose weight but it doesn't mean it is healthy or good for your body. I don't know what this whole "calorie deficit is all that matters" fad is thats going on in these boards, but that is just common sense. I think its also important what you put into your body, not just your calorie deficit.

Eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight isn't a fad. It's science. Just putting out that correction.

Fads are like saying carbs or fat make you fat, magic pills, detoxes, cleanses, etc.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Everyone on mfp has some type of special condition that makes them big. It has nothing to do with any of them eating too damn much...trolol

Yeah, it's amazing how many people with rare metabolic diseases and women who put on muscle faster than men on the 'roids there are in one place. Shocking really. Almost defies belief!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

All white rice is "processed garbage"? And you believe brown rice is automatically superior to white rice?

I just...

...I, uh...

I mean...

I can't...

Wha?

Not really I don't like brown rice, I prefer Wild Rice, the nutrition of most brown rice is just as comparable to white rice, some just might be slightly better but most are just as processed as white rice. You"ll see it wasn't in my list of suggestions I was just simply stating that most restaurants have substitutions. If you have a little here and there fine ( I love my sushi) but there are better option and I'm not in denial that its healthy. If you ate nothing but 3 Mcdonalds burgers everyday and were below your calorie deficit sure you could still lose weight but it doesn't mean it is healthy or good for your body. I don't know what this whole "calorie deficit is all that matters" fad is thats going on in these boards, but that is just common sense. I think its also important what you put into your body, not just your calorie deficit.

Why is it always a choice between eating some perfectly ideal diet (often heavily influenced by the current "superfoods for optimal health" fad of the moment) and eating "3 McDonald's burgers everyday"? I don't understand what this false dichotomy fad is that's going on in these boards, but it likely isn't overall helpful.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Why is it always a choice between eating some perfectly ideal diet (often heavily influenced by the current "superfoods for optimal health" fad of the moment) and eating "3 McDonald's burgers everyday"? I don't understand what this false dichotomy fad is that's going on in these boards, but it likely isn't overall helpful.
    Yep, it is a total false dichotomy. And contains a strawman. It paints moderation as "eat candy and ice cream all day long" to make the alternative look good.

I've yet to see anyone on this forum actually suggest eating nothing but mcdonalds for all your meals to get healthy.

• Why is it always a choice between eating some perfectly ideal diet (often heavily influenced by the current "superfoods for optimal health" fad of the moment) and eating "3 McDonald's burgers everyday"? I don't understand what this false dichotomy fad is that's going on in these boards, but it likely isn't overall helpful.

No one said it was, if you read my post you'll see I enjoy sushi. However some foods are better for you than others, why there is even an issue of denying that makes no sense. If you simply look at the nutritional panel of white rice and then the nutritional panel of Wild Rice...one is clearly a better option. Its very black and white. It doesn't mean you can never have white rice. Some people actually care about what they put into their bodies and should be commended for making the effort to make better decisions, not ridiculed for it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    brown rice?
    quinoa?
    barley?
    millet?

is there any particular need to not eat rice?

Because white rice is a bunch of processed garbage with no nutrients along with white bread and regular pasta.

I love...
    Wild Rice
    Yams
    Sweet Potatoes
    Quinoa
    Couscous
    Barley
    butternut squash
    lentils
    farro
    Polenta (gluten free, higher in protein)
    there are tons of organic pasta now that are fortified with fiber, or whole wheat pastas

I think the point some are missing is that sure if you eat white rice in moderation you could lose weight, but [rest of this paragraph has been deleted because it was made completely, totally, utterly irrelevant by the preceding sentence]

There are so many better option including wild rices which are not processed and have tons of nutrients and fiber. There is really no need for white rice and almost all restaurants now let you substitute brown rice or have better options. Its not about deleting carbs from the diet, its about making better decisions.

z6O8vQ3.gif
  • PikaKnight

No one said it was, if you read my post you'll see I enjoy sushi. However some foods are better for you than others, why there is even an issue of denying that makes no sense. If you simply look at the nutritional panel of white rice and then the nutritional panel of Wild Rice...one is clearly a better option. Its very black and white. It doesn't mean you can never have white rice. Some people actually care about what they put into their bodies and should be commended for making the effort to make better decisions, not ridiculed for it.

No one is ridiculing being informed.

And another thing....if calorie counting is a "fad"....why are you recommending it to your clients again?
  • brown rice?
    quinoa?
    barley?
    millet?

Because white rice is a bunch of processed garbage with no nutrients along with white bread and regular pasta.

I love...
    Wild Rice
    Yams
    Sweet Potatoes
    Quinoa
    Couscous
    Barley
    butternut squash
    lentils
    farro
    there are tons of organic pasta now that are fortified with fiber, or whole wheat pastas

I think the point some are missing is that sure if you eat white rice in moderation you could lose weight, but [if you want to fill your bodies with processed food you're clearly missing the point]

There are so many better option including wild rices which are not processed and have tons of nutrients and fiber. There is really no need for white rice and almost all restaurants now let you substitute brown rice or have better options. Its not about deleting carbs from the diet, its about making better decisions.

adding a gif doesn't make you clever.

Congratulations..I think you clearly missed the point. You're right, some people never do learn.

Using Mcdonalds is just an extreme example to show how ridiculous the idea is that "all that matters is having a calorie deficit" and completely disregarding the types of food you chose to put into your bodies. There are countless studies on how processed foods are not good for you, its the main reason the United States has such a high obesity rate. This is common sense. It is absurd that as soon as someone makes a post on choosing to make a healthy substitution there is a specific group of people on these boards that decides to jump down their throats. The discussion I'm making is that there are much healthier options which can be seen by simply reading a nutritional label. Not that you can still eat white rice and lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit. Thats really just stating the very obvious and not the point.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    quinoa
  • PikaKnight
    If anyone participating in the thread or lurking is really curious about carbs being as bad as someone is saying, then please feel free to join this group and ask an actual registered dietitan.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13155-ask-the-dietitian

Tony has addressed this question before if you want to lurk through the threads to find it.

ETA links to a few threads where he has addressed carbs:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/960761-very-low-carb-mornings
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/953531-protein-carbs
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/938066-whole-grains-carbs
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    Misinformation is going to be your downfall here.

A one cup serving of cooked white rice contains 205 calories, according to the USDA National Nutrient Database. This provides 10 percent of the daily value for calories, based on a 2,000-calorie diet. Each 1-cup serving of cooked white rice provides 44.51g of carbohydrates, with 0.6g of dietary fiber and 0.1g of sugar, according to the USDA National Nutrient Database. It contains 4.25g of protein, providing 8 percent of the DV for protein. White rice contains no cholesterol.

Each 1-cup serving of cooked white rice is also a dietary source for a number of vitamins, according to the USDA National Nutrient Database. These include 0.26mg of thiamin, 2.33mg of niacin and 92mcg of folate. Some of the minerals that it provides are 16mg of calcium, 1.9mg of iron, 68mg of magnesium and 0.75mg of manganese.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/258776-white-rice-nutrition-facts/#ixzz2Yo3HpoLw

Refutation?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CeeBee88
    CeeBee88 Posts: 33
    Why do people get so upset when some other people get creative with their food choices? Rice is a trigger food for me, so I stay away from it. However, if there is a rice dish that someone has figured out how to make with a substitute, why do so many people freak out when they talk about it?
    I'm sure the rice doesn't get its feelings hurt, so you don't have to feel sorry for it.
    I am a huge fan of cauliflower pizza. I make it often and has friends who request it regularly.
    I also like cauliflower just steamed, or mashed with Turnips and parsnips for some good fake potatoes. Throw some cheese on top and its even better.

Yes, cauliflower is a carb as well, but it is considerably lower in calories and higher in fiber than white rice or white flour.

because everyone gets all worked about "evil carbs" like they are the former soviet union or something...As long as you stay in your calorie/macro carb goal for day you will be fine...carbs at night, or carbs in general, or whatever are not going to make you fat...

Also, I do not understand how the cauliflower carb is somehow superior to the brown rice carb...???

When you are insulin resistant, or diabetic, you have to watch your total carbs. You also have to choose higher fiber carbs to help prevent spikes in insulin. Cauliflower has less starch than rice, even brown rice, which I personally don't like.
    I can have a lot more cauliflower per carb/calorie than I can have rice. 1/2 cup cooked rice just isn't very much.

If you don't have problems with insulin, then you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay in your calorie goal.
    For those of us who can't do that, it is very helpful to find alternatives.
    And a bit tiresome to hear all the naysayers whenever the subject comes up.

Are you insulin resistant or diabetic?

Everyone on mfp has some type of special condition that makes them big. It has nothing to do with any of them eating too damn much...trolol

A lot of people use this site to keep track of what they are eating for health reasons - not just for weight loss/ gain! Its a great tool for diabetics to see how regularly they are eating or people with food allergies and a great place to ask questions and get advice on eating with that condition.
  • DavPul
    brown rice?
    quinoa?
    barley?
    millet?

I love...
    Wild Rice
    Yams
    Sweet Potatoes
    Quinoa
    Couscous
    Barley
    butternut squash
    lentils
    farro

I think the point some are missing is that sure if you eat white rice in moderation you could lose weight, but [if you want to fill your bodies with processed food you're clearly missing the point]

adding a gif doesn't make you clever.

Congratulations..I think you clearly missed the point. You're right, some people never do learn.

Using Mcdonalds is just an extreme example to show how ridiculous the idea is that "all that matters is having a calorie deficit" and completely disregarding the types of food you chose to put into your bodies. There are countless studies on how processed foods are not good for you, its the main reason the United States has such a high obesity rate. This is common sense. It is absurd that as soon as someone makes a post on choosing to make a healthy substitution there is a specific group of people on these boards that decides to jump down their throats. The discussion I'm making is that there are much healthier options which can be seen by simply reading a nutritional label. Not that you can still eat white rice and lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit. Thats really just stating the very obvious and not the point.

Repeating the mantra "it's just common sense" while ignoring basic math in thread after thread doesn't make you clever. Or sensible, for that matter.
  • PikaKnight
    Why do people get so upset when some other people get creative with their food choices? Rice is a trigger food for me, so I stay away from it. However, if there is a rice dish that someone has figured out how to make with a substitute, why do so many people freak out when they talk about it?
    I'm sure the rice doesn't get its feelings hurt, so you don't have to feel sorry for it.
    I am a huge fan of cauliflower pizza. I make it often and has friends who request it regularly.
    I also like cauliflower just steamed, or mashed with Turnips and parsnips for some good fake potatoes. Throw some cheese on top and its even better.

Yes, cauliflower is a carb as well, but it is considerably lower in calories and higher in fiber than white rice or white flour.

because everyone gets all worked about "evil carbs" like they are the former soviet union or something...As long as you stay in your calorie/macro carb goal for day you will be fine...carbs at night, or carbs in general, or whatever are not going to make you fat...

Also, I do not understand how the cauliflower carb is somehow superior to the brown rice carb...???

When you are insulin resistant, or diabetic, you have to watch your total carbs. You also have to choose higher fiber carbs to help prevent spikes in insulin. Cauliflower has less starch than rice, even brown rice, which I personally don't like.
    I can have a lot more cauliflower per carb/calorie than I can have rice. 1/2 cup cooked rice just isn't very much.

If you don't have problems with insulin, then you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay in your calorie goal.
    For those of us who can't do that, it is very helpful to find alternatives.
    And a bit tiresome to hear all the naysayers whenever the subject comes up.

Are you insulin resistant or diabetic?

A lot of people use this site to keep track of what they are eating for health reasons - not just for weight loss/ gain! Its a great tool for diabetics to see how regularly they are eating or people with food allergies and a great place to ask questions and get advice on eating with that condition.

I agree with tracking for diabetics..I TOTALLY disagree trying to get advice for a medical condition on a public forum.

If you have diabetes, talk to your doctor and don't ask a bunch of strangers who may or may not have diabetes or medical backgrounds questions that could potentially put your life a risk.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    I have to watch my carbs that's why I'm asking for substitutions. I'm not really a fan of brown rice either.... :(

I was never a fan either. I grew to like it, just threw in some all purpose spice when boiling it up.

Good luck for finding a substitute that you like.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Here is another thing I do with Cauliflower that I love.

Cauliflower Hummus

One large head of cauliflower (preferably yellow)

2 to 10 cloves of fresh garlic, minced in the food processor first

2 tablespoons of macadamia nut butter (or almond)

The juice of one medium lemon

¼ cup (or so) of olive oil

1 teaspoon of cumin

1 – 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley

Or 1 tablespoon of dried parsley

½ teaspoon of smoked paprika

Salt to taste; about 1 teaspoon

Garnish with parsley, smoked paprika and olive oil

Steam your head of cauliflower till it is very tender. While that is cooling take down your food processor and mince the garlic. Add the olive oil, nut butter, spices and lemon juice and mix some more. Add the cauliflower and puree till a smooth paste. Add some more olive oil if you need to get this lovely paste. Spread the hummus in a lovely platter in swirly patterns. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with more paprika and serve with veggies.

So gonna make this!!!
  • Because white rice is a bunch of processed garbage with no nutrients along with white bread and regular pasta.
    ]Misinformation is going to be your downfall here.

A one cup serving of cooked white rice contains 205 calories, according to the USDA National Nutrient Database. This provides 10 percent of the daily value for calories, based on a 2,000-calorie diet. Each 1-cup serving of cooked white rice provides 44.51g of carbohydrates, with 0.6g of dietary fiber and 0.1g of sugar, according to the USDA National Nutrient Database. It contains 4.25g of protein, providing 8 percent of the DV for protein. White rice contains no cholesterol.

Each 1-cup serving of cooked white rice is also a dietary source for a number of vitamins, according to the USDA National Nutrient Database. These include 0.26mg of thiamin, 2.33mg of niacin and 92mcg of folate. Some of the minerals that it provides are 16mg of calcium, 1.9mg of iron, 68mg of magnesium and 0.75mg of manganese.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/258776-white-rice-nutrition-facts/#ixzz2Yo3HpoLw

Refutation?

IDEA Fitness member

Mmmm 30yrs in fitness you should know that all those vitamins are FORTIFIED and not naturally occurring in white rice. Now lets compare the nutritional contents of

Wild Rice

Nutrition Facts
    Wild rice, cooked
    Amount Per 1 cup (164 g)
    Calories 166
    % Daily Value*
    Total fat 0.6 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.3 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 5 mg 0%
    Potassium 166 mg 4%
    Total Carbohydrate 35 g 11%
    Dietary fiber 3 g 12%
    Sugar 1.2 g
    Protein 7 g 14%
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0% Iron 5%
    Vitamin B-6 10% Vitamin B-12 0%
    Magnesium 13%

or how about the nutritional content of another popular rice substitution Quinoa, all of which are naturally occurring and unprocessed

Nutrition Facts
    Quinoa, cooked
    Amount Per 1 cup (185 g)
    Calories 223
    % Daily Value*
    Total fat 3.6 g 5%
    Saturated fat 0.4 g 2%
    Polyunsaturated fat 2 g
    Monounsaturated fat 1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 13 mg 0%
    Potassium 318 mg 9%
    Total Carbohydrate 39 g 13%
    Dietary fiber 5 g 20%
    Sugar 1.6 g
    Protein 8 g 16%
    Calcium 3% Iron 15%
    Magnesium 29%

Clearly these are better options.

Since you may not know..white rice goes through what is called a Milling Process where all the bran that would typically make rice very rich in nutrients is completely stripped of all vitamins and minerals and then instead fortified with vitamins.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    If someone gets twice as much of every micronutrient as they need, they do not become any more healthy than they would have been if they'd gotten 100% of as much as they needed. There's no benefit to going over your needs. This is common sense. It is absurd to suggest that food A is a better choice than food B in all contexts.
  • DavPul
    ]Misinformation is going to be your downfall here.

Refutation?

IDEA Fitness member

Mmmm 30yrs in fitness you should know that all those vitamins are FORTIFIED and not naturally occurring in white rice. Now lets compare the nutritional contents of

Wild Rice

Nutrition Facts
    Wild rice, cooked
    Amount Per 1 cup (164 g)
    Calories 166
    % Daily Value*
    Total fat 0.6 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.3 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 5 mg 0%
    Potassium 166 mg 4%
    Total Carbohydrate 35 g 11%
    Dietary fiber 3 g 12%
    Sugar 1.2 g
    Protein 7 g 14%
    Calcium 0% Iron 5%
    Magnesium 13%

or how about the nutritional content of another popular rice substitution Quinoa, all of which are naturally occurring and unprocessed

Nutrition Facts
    Quinoa, cooked
    Amount Per 1 cup (185 g)
    Calories 223
    % Daily Value*
    Total fat 3.6 g 5%
    Saturated fat 0.4 g 2%
    Polyunsaturated fat 2 g
    Monounsaturated fat 1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 13 mg 0%
    Potassium 318 mg 9%
    Total Carbohydrate 39 g 13%
    Dietary fiber 5 g 20%
    Sugar 1.6 g
    Protein 8 g 16%
    Calcium 3% Iron 15%
    Magnesium 29%

Clearly these are better options.

Since you may not know..white rice goes through what is called a Milling Process where all the bran that would typically make rice very rich in nutrients is completely stripped of all vitamins and minerals and then instead fortified with vitamins.

Those are a lot of cool numbers. But what do they mean? Still doesn't make white rice garbage, like you common sensibly claimed. And since I'm getting more than 100% of all the nutrients listed from other foods I eat throughout the day, how are these other rices better options? Is there common sense to eating 200-500% of the rda?