Exercise Machines...Help me Please

Anyone know of a good piece of exercise equipment to purchase? Something that won't break the bank...maybe $300 or less and something that I can get at any sporting goods store. I've been looking at elipticals, recumbrant bikes, treadmills. I just don't know where to start. In the summer I started bicycling outside and enjoy that. I'm not a huge fan on jogging or running, so the treadmills are not a huge option.
Thanks for you help in advance! :smile:

Start: 175lbs in July, current: 158ish.....woo hoo! I'm gonna look hot on my vacation in April! Ha Ha

Replies

• LitlKoz
    LitlKoz Posts: 24 Member
    Anyone know of a good piece of exercise equipment to purchase? Something that won't break the bank...maybe $300 or less and something that I can get at any sporting goods store. I've been looking at elipticals, recumbrant bikes, treadmills. I just don't know where to start. In the summer I started bicycling outside and enjoy that. I'm not a huge fan on jogging or running, so the treadmills are not a huge option.
    Thanks for you help in advance! :smile:

Start: 175lbs in July, current: 158ish.....woo hoo! I'm gonna look hot on my vacation in April! Ha Ha
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    No matter what you are looking for, I'd go to craigslist.com. You can find lots of used equipment for under 300. My husband and I are looking for a bowflex and there are lots on craigslist in the 300 range.

Lacey
  • I am a fitness instructor and I would definitely suggest using an elliptical! It tones the best while also burning the most calories, you cannot burn as many calories on a recumbrant bike as you would on an elliptical. Best of luck!
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    I agree with the elliptical. I bought mine at Wal Mart for $150. It's not fitness club quality but it does the job. It's great for a quick calorie burn and I haven't grown tired of using it almost everyday for weeks now. But, heck, if you could find a Bowflex for $300 go for it.
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    I love my elliptical machine. It is easy on the joints, gets the job done and I don't dread getting on it which means I actually use it. For my money, it's the best all-around work out.
    Cowboy
  • popo49
    popo49 Posts: 5
    They used to have a recumabant bike/elliptical machine combo.They would fold into each other for you to use whichever you desired. Not real great quality, but you cant expect gym type trainers for under $300.00. As far as which machine is better...look into interval training or tabata protocaols for your workout.You spend less time with more effort and increase your calorie expenditure.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Go to SEars and see if they have any floor models or exchanged equip. They will sell it to you at about 1/2 the cost of new and they still give you all the warranties with it. I bought a Nordic Track treadmill that was selling for $2000 for $700 six years ago and it is still running great and I have never had any problems with it.

Sports Authority also has a wide range of ellipticals from about $200 up to $1800 and there you can get on all of them and see how they work and pick one that fits your budget and how you want the equip. to work.

Ok, and lastly, look for stores in your area that sell gym equipment that the gyms have finished using because they upgraded to new equip. These are still excellent machines and come with warranties and you know they were maintained by the gyms and they are given any refurbishments needed before resale.