Chemicals: It's in everything, including "natural" food

Replies

• conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member

OH! OH!
    Lycopene from tomato juice was one of the extractions my wife did! You can not create more lycopene by cooking or not cooking a tomato. To produce more lycopene through cooking you would have to include additional chemicals that convert other chemicals to lycopene on a hot plate. It's possible to synthesize lycopene, but not with the specific chemicals within a tomato. Lycopene is litterally the red pigment in a tomato. Here, have the experiment:

Isolation of Lycopene from Tomato Paste using Column Chromatography:
    http://infohost.nmt.edu/~jaltig/Lycopene.pdf

Now THIS is information. Not condescending, not rude--just good information! Thanks for posting! And I am loving that you have learned so much from your wife and her class! Double value on that investment I would say and a marriage bonding boost to boot! ( how's that for alliteration??
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    thanks for sharing OP
    but i have a brain and i know how to use it.

to each thier own.

welp
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member

OH! OH!
    Lycopene from tomato juice was one of the extractions my wife did! You can not create more lycopene by cooking or not cooking a tomato. To produce more lycopene through cooking you would have to include additional chemicals that convert other chemicals to lycopene on a hot plate. It's possible to synthesize lycopene, but not with the specific chemicals within a tomato. Lycopene is litterally the red pigment in a tomato. Here, have the experiment:

Now THIS is information. Not condescending, not rude--just good information! Thanks for posting! And I am loving that you have learned so much from your wife and her class! Double value on that investment I would say and a marriage bonding boost to boot! ( how's that for alliteration??

Actually, we hate each other as a married couple and will be getting separated/divorced once she's on her feet financially. Educating her is part of the process, but I like to learn. Thanks for the thought, but I wouldn't want to leave any misunderstandings on the table. Sorry to ruin the fairy tale ending.

Your alliteration is the boon of marketers and the bane of enunciators.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Should have people make lists of things they trust the government with. Always interesting to see.

Would you trust the government to tell you the water from that natural spring hasn't been polluted by fracking or something else?

When is the government ever honest? :laugh:

______

Thanks for posting this, OP!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member

Actually, we hate each other as a married couple and will be getting separated/divorced once she's on her feet financially. Educating her is part of the process, but I like to learn. Thanks for the thought, but I wouldn't want to leave any misunderstandings on the table. Sorry to ruin the fairy tale ending.

Your alliteration is the boon of marketers and the bane of enunciators.

Doh! sorry to hear that! Well, at least you have some really awesome information that you were able to glean from the "process"!
  • StripedSmoker
    StripedSmoker Posts: 104 Member
    Hi, I'm going to study chemistry at college in a few months. Had some interesting, educational classes and lectures on food&chemicals aaand well... it ain't that bad. I wash my fruit well to get rid of those chemicals, it's not clean of them then, but it's okay. Tend to buy fresher fruit, fresh meat, fresh fruit right from the market and not the shops. When it comes to shopping of packaged products: The less ingredients, the better. The amount of additives you consume ain't that bad. The 'chemicals' we're talking about here and additives, 'cause chemicals is what... what IS food. That's FOOD. There are ridiculous foods, really, with SO many additives. Don't buy them and you're perfectly fine :)
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member

OH! OH!

*sighs* Thank you. You understand me.

Best of luck with Orgo 2. I didn't enjoy it much, though if I had to do it over again (without 18 additional credit hours of coursework to compete with it), I'm sure it would be a lot more fun.

You could have replied in a way that wasn't rude AF.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Exactly. There are regulations to protect the water supply from fracking. Do you believe they are effective?

After having watched Gasland 2.0 last week, I'm thinking if there's fracking near an aquifer, there's eventual water contamination -- regardless of regulations.

From internal memos of companies involved in fracking -- 10% of wells fail at installation. 50% fail within five years. And they have no idea or way to fix them. Sooner or later that's bound to percolate to an aquifer if one is anywhere in the vicinity.
    If you fully trust government food oversight, but fully distrust the government in other ways, is that sensible?
    I would like sensible regulations to actually be enforced, and think calls for the EPA to be abolished are outrageous. It was created for a reason (unless we actually like having rivers catch on fire and burn for days, which was what led to the creation of the EPA in the first place).

At any rate "chemicals" and "natural" can be misleading nomenclature. Naturally occuring things such as table salt are chemicals. "Natural vanilla flavoring" (as opposed to actual vanilla) is sometimes made from beaver anal secretions (hey, truth in advertising, it IS natural...)

In the end, though, it is often good to know what's in your food.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Not much useful info here. FYI:

"Natural" is marketing. Means nothing.

"Organic" actually MEANS something. To be organic that is an actual classification where the producer has to meet standards.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    this is like opening pandora's box, at least it was for me and it stressed me out as I slowly realized there was no way to eat truly healthy without growing it yourself. Unfortunately, if you buy from the commercial food supply, the nutrition if that food is terrible and highly toxic. There is NO way around it. Even organic doesn't mean much (although it's still better than non-organic).
    Terrible and toxic? Where are the dead bodies attributed to this?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member

"Organic" actually MEANS something. To be organic that is an actual classification where the producer has to meet standards.

Sure. And those standards do nothing to produce food that is more healthful of sustainable than food that is produced by conventional means.
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    I like the definition of pollution as being the wrong concentration of a compound in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Our metabolism depends on chemical reactions. We're made of chemical elements.

Hey, here's a suggestion: why don't we all learn some elementary chemistry and stop believing the word of scientifically illiterate journalists and 'fitness professionals'?
  • ninerbuff

Sure. And those standards do nothing to produce food that is more healthful of sustainable than food that is produced by conventional means.
    This. As mentioned in the OP, this is just going back to advertising alternative ideas, lifestyles, etc. as a means to make some money.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    I like the definition of pollution as being the wrong concentration of a compound in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Our metabolism depends on chemical reactions. We're made of chemical elements.

Hey, here's a suggestion: why don't we all learn some elementary chemistry and stop believing the word of scientifically illiterate journalists and 'fitness professionals'?
    Agreed. It's high time that using fear to initiate weight loss or correct eating be stopped. If sticking to actual science, it can be done with foods eaten everyday on a regular basis.

IDEA Fitness member
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    I'm less bothered by chemical sounding names in food and more about why some things are added in the first place. after all, bread can be made with flour, yeast, water and salt. The only reason stabilisers are added is for the commercial market.

ice cream - cream, egg (not always) and sugar. etcetera etcetera.

organic doesn't mean chemical-free - it just means it meets certain standards and a strictly controlled regimen of treatments that are available.

I like to cook and I like to bake, and I'd rather make my own versions of products that on the shelves are full of chemicals. I guess thats a choice I've made about how I want to live my life. But beer is processed...........
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    I'm less bothered by chemical sounding names in food and more about why some things are added in the first place. after all, bread can be made with flour, yeast, water and salt. The only reason stabilisers are added is for the commercial market.

ice cream - cream, egg (not always) and sugar. etcetera etcetera.

organic doesn't mean chemical-free - it just means it meets certain standards and a strictly controlled regimen of treatments that are available.

I like to cook and I like to bake, and I'd rather make my own versions of products that on the shelves are full of chemicals. I guess thats a choice I've made about how I want to live my life. But beer is processed...........

When it comes to flavorings and whatnot, my main concern is "what real food ISNT here because they used a chemical shortcut to achieve the flavor." It's more of a food snobbery thing than a fear based reaction.

What is it about stabilizers in food that scares you so much? I mean, I think it's great to bake and make homemade ice cream...but do you do it because you fear certain stabilizers and preservatives? And if so, on what do you base this fear?
  • ninerbuff
    I just gotta say that people worry about all the "chemicals" in food, but when it comes to hygiene and personal "enhancement", it's not even a second thought for many.
    Realistically the people who condemn food with "chemicals" in them probably shouldn't use hair products, make up, sun block, nail polish, or perfume/cologne since they are inundated with "chemicals" and put directly on the body.
    Not to mention the air quality that one breathes (one breathes more than one eats), or the exposure to industrial "chemicals" (like hand wipes or sanitizers) daily.
    Just food for thought.

IDEA Fitness member
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    I just gotta say that people worry about all the "chemicals" in food, but when it comes to hygiene and personal "enhancement", it's not even a second thought for many.
    Realistically the people who condemn food with "chemicals" in them probably shouldn't use hair products, make up, sun block, nail polish, or perfume/cologne since they are inundated with "chemicals" and put directly on the body.
    Not to mention the air quality that one breathes (one breathes more than one eats), or the exposure to industrial "chemicals" (like hand wipes or sanitizers) daily.
    Just food for thought.

IDEA Fitness member

I am fine with chemicals
    but this is going to sound odd. I read about an oil method for facial cleansing and thought - why not? My skin has never been better. I still wouldn't care if my products have chemicals but man that method was amazing :)
  • ninerbuff
    Just food for thought.

IDEA Fitness member

I am fine with chemicals
    but this is going to sound odd. I read about an oil method for facial cleansing and thought - why not? My skin has never been better. I still wouldn't care if my products have chemicals but man that method was amazing :)
    Lol, I suffer from dry skin (had little acne as teen because of it) so I have to moisturize daily. Baby soft skin, but all due to chemicals.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Just food for thought.

IDEA Fitness member

I am fine with chemicals
    Lol, I suffer from dry skin (had little acne as teen because of it) so I have to moisturize daily. Baby soft skin, but all due to chemicals.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

for the time that I tried it, the olive oil and castor oil method was very moisturizing lol :)

I suffer from the dry skin too lol