Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Hey, everyone.

Ninth person here...

...and I completely forgot my line.

*how embarrassing*

ETA: Oh! Now I remember...

OP: admit it...you made this forum post primarily to drive traffic to your blog, didn't you?
  • Nice sentiments, I think you had the best of intentions and people can be dogmatic. But what I tend to see when things get nutso on here isn't one person demanding that another subscribes completely to their lifestyle and choices. It goes more like this:

OP: Help! I'm struggling with (issue)

Respondent: Okay, well (requests for more information)

OP: (elaborates)

Respondent: Okay you might want to (suggestion)

OP: But (reason that's unacceptable)

Respondent: But what you're doing now isn't effective because (reasons)

OP: Not everyone is the same

Respondent: But you asked for help because (thing) isn't working

OP: Bully

Third Person: Yeah Bully

Crazy Person: I've never had that problem, always been slim.

Fourth Person: (defends Respondent)

Fifth Person: IN

Respondent: (posts gif)

OP posts second thread about how mean people are.

A lot of people here ask questions they don't want the answers to.

Sixth Person: 8/10 would bang

Seventh Person: 25 years old, single, real estate agent

You forgot the strong first posters

My (someone poster knows) is sabotaging me.
  • eautrey124
    eautrey124 Posts: 60 Member
    Nice sentiments, I think you had the best of intentions and people can be dogmatic. But what I tend to see when things get nutso on here isn't one person demanding that another subscribes completely to their lifestyle and choices. It goes more like this:

I understand this as well, and I sometimes find myself frustrated by it and sometimes have actually been that person, when the advice wasn't in the direction I thought it would be. Not looking for affirmation, but more along the lines of I thought advice wouldn't be related to what I ended up getting, which was fine and I ended up taking some of the advice.

I am not typically talking about some of those. I am talking about people who respond "No." "Seriously?!" or "Don't worry about x, because Y worked for me. X is pointless."

This is not saying that they are discussing a topic with someone, but more believing there is only one right way and not trying to compromise. The person you mentioned in this situation did.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    the only people i personally disagree with are the ones who eat ice cream, cookies, brownies, etc.. and say this is a good part of my weight loss! (i now know why they do that).. but at first, thats the only thing that put me off.

i was thinking the other day, man, if i just "eat my macros" i can exist on a muffin, milk breakfast, muffin and milk lunch and another muffin for dinner and be under 1200.. but i woud not want to live every day like that. so i have to disagree with the "fit everything under your macros number and you will be fine" theory of weight loss. haha
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    It's saddening to see that within the first page people are already trying to argue with such an innocent, uplifting post. It further proves the points that you've made. Thank you for posting this! It's incredibly positive, and if people take the time to absorb it rather than pick it apart to argue it, it may go a long way =)

It is odd, what I read as discussing, you read as arguing. Isn't it weird how that works?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Nice sentiments, I think you had the best of intentions and people can be dogmatic. But what I tend to see when things get nutso on here isn't one person demanding that another subscribes completely to their lifestyle and choices. It goes more like this:

^QFT
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    When I began my journey here nearly a month ago I was full of questions. Was actually a little frustrated not knowing what " support " I was actually going to receive. Would it be too much for me with my health , giving up too much the one time on my own ......would that be possible. I have found each friend on the motivational support have been far more than I could ask for .

I can ask any questions and have been getting answers feeling my points are valid, I do accept it when someone tells me I am not drinking enough water and I might try giving it a chance . ....
    I have however seen on here so many like this conversation going this way .Totally negative just because she posted her thoughts everyone has come against her . I agree with her because there are many times when individuals do not keep others lifestyles at the forefront of their mind and show support and motivate.Rather they love to lookatt it as a time to tear down and maybe cause them to have setbacks.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    the only people i personally disagree with are the ones who eat ice cream, cookies, brownies, etc.. and say this is a good part of my weight loss! (i now know why they do that).. but at first, thats the only thing that put me off.

i was thinking the other day, man, if i just "eat my macros" i can exist on a muffin, milk breakfast, muffin and milk lunch and another muffin for dinner and be under 1200.. but i woud not want to live every day like that. so i have to disagree with the "fit everything under your macros number and you will be fine" theory of weight loss. haha

That fits your macros?

I know this isn't the point of this thread, but I'm having trouble coming up with a solid macro ratio where this would be true. Unless you're subscribed to a 80/10/10 C/P/F plan.
  • the only people i personally disagree with are the ones who eat ice cream, cookies, brownies, etc.. and say this is a good part of my weight loss! (i now know why they do that).. but at first, thats the only thing that put me off.

10th through 40th poster: (rant about people who eat 1200 calories).
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Well, there's no justification for being mean, but there's stuff that works and stuff that doesn't work. not all ways are right. some are completely wrong. some are simply more right than others. doesn't mean you or I can have some ice cream if we feel like it. our systems are designed for SOME resiliency. I happen to like ice cream. but I don't live on it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Well..that theory is working for me. Going from one extreme to the other didn't just not work for me...it actually made me sick. Moderation has been the best thing...as well as not stressing out for eating ice cream, brownies, etc. It's great to know that not only can I work whatever I want in...but that I'm getting stronger as a person. It's exciting to realize that I do have self control/willpower and that ability continues to grow. I'm definitely in a happier place physically as well as mentally....
  • j724mecham
    j724mecham Posts: 102 Member
    I 100% agree with the OP. I have had maybe 1 good experience on the message boards. I read them constantly and almost always get torn apart. If someone is saying "I would suggest you do this" and such then that's fine. But the forums actually go like this (especially since there are so many people who tend to jump in to every board just to give their 2 cents)
    OP: I am really trying to work on reducing my intake of fatty/oily foods. So far I am doing great."
    Response 1: That's not what you should be doing. You shouldn't have to reduce it, but just fit it in.
    Response 2: Great job OP. I am trying to do the same thing. Keep it up.
    Response 1: I'm just saying they aren't using the right approach. I eat fatty/oily foods all the time and I have 10% body fat.
    *CAT FIGHT*
    OP: I was just wanting some words of encouragement and people in the same situation.
    *CONTINUED CAT FIGHT * *Ignore OP's actual post*

About every post (minus the success stories) are about the OP bringing out a topic for a specific reason (especially when asking for encouragement with what they're doing) and the people responding taking it as that they solely want their opinion and advice. It's not their battle. Do you not just want to throw yourself out there in hopes to gain some friends going through the same thing? It's a freakin jungle out there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Technically, there really is one right way. If you consume fewer calories than you expend, thus creating and energy deficit, you lose weight. All the other stuff is just stuff....

Calories in/out is the ONE "right way" whether you're losing, maintaining, or gaining...it's calories in/out.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    1367680501721.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Sixth Person: 8/10 would bang

Seventh Person: 25 years old, single, real estate agent

8th person....Just Break Up!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    There actually is one right way. Biology is biology.

For example, to lose weight, you must restrict calorie intake to less than calorie output. That's the right way, because it's the only way.

The key is that there is flexibility within "the right way." This flexibility means you can take different approaches, but in the end whatever approach you take, if it leads you "the right way" it will work. Otherwise it will not.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member

HAH! this is pure gold!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Okay. Hold up.

OP - have you been here since 2011, lurking? If so - can't believe this gets to you.

OR - you made an account two years ago and just now started the forums. If so, spend more time lurking.

OR - you've never seen an online forum before. If so - spend more time lurking.

OR - you are housebound and never had any interaction with RL humans. If so - get out more.

Recap: it's not that big a deal to ignore the people you don't agree with online. They don't really have any power over your life.

/
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

I like the "crazy person" entry.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    This is going to end badly I suspect.

I concur.