Food For Thought: There's Not One Right Way

Replies

• eautrey124
    eautrey124 Posts: 60 Member
    Technically, there really is one right way. If you consume fewer calories than you expend, thus creating and energy deficit, you lose weight. All the other stuff is just stuff....

Calories in/out is the ONE "right way" whether you're losing, maintaining, or gaining...it's calories in/out.

Yes I agree. But every body is different. The hormones that your body produces on a day to day basis will change your calories out. While calculation calories in can be easy, calculating calories out is not always accurate.

There is a very interesting thing about a guy who ate 5000-6000 cals a day and didn't gain that much weight. He is going to be repeating this with different types of diets. It is actually quite interesting.

Just interesting to think about. I try to follow a basic deficit, but I know that my body is going to vary a lot.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Technically, there really is one right way. If you consume fewer calories than you expend, thus creating and energy deficit, you lose weight. All the other stuff is just stuff....

Calories in/out is the ONE "right way" whether you're losing, maintaining, or gaining...it's calories in/out.

Yes I agree. But every body is different. The hormones that your body produces on a day to day basis will change your calories out. While calculation calories in can be easy, calculating calories out is not always accurate.

There is a very interesting thing about a guy who ate 5000-6000 cals a day and didn't gain that much weight. He is going to be repeating this with different types of diets. It is actually quite interesting.

Just interesting to think about. I try to follow a basic deficit, but I know that my body is going to vary a lot.

That doesn't change the fact that calories in < calories out is "the method" by which people lose weight. You can alter your calories in and out in various ways, but at the end of the day that's the method.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Hey, everyone.

Ninth person here...

...and I completely forgot my line.

*how embarrassing*

ETA: Oh! Now I remember...

OP: admit it...you made this forum post primarily to drive traffic to your blog, didn't you?

Um excuse me, you are person 5. Always. Don't stray from your roots!
  • the only people i personally disagree with are the ones who eat ice cream, cookies, brownies, etc.. and say this is a good part of my weight loss! (i now know why they do that).. but at first, thats the only thing that put me off.

i was thinking the other day, man, if i just "eat my macros" i can exist on a muffin, milk breakfast, muffin and milk lunch and another muffin for dinner and be under 1200.. but i woud not want to live every day like that. so i have to disagree with the "fit everything under your macros number and you will be fine" theory of weight loss. haha

I am pretty sure you don't really understand the concept of IIFYM...
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    the only people i personally disagree with are the ones who eat ice cream, cookies, brownies, etc.. and say this is a good part of my weight loss! (i now know why they do that).. but at first, thats the only thing that put me off.

i was thinking the other day, man, if i just "eat my macros" i can exist on a muffin, milk breakfast, muffin and milk lunch and another muffin for dinner and be under 1200.. but i woud not want to live every day like that. so i have to disagree with the "fit everything under your macros number and you will be fine" theory of weight loss. haha

That fits your macros?

I know this isn't the point of this thread, but I'm having trouble coming up with a solid macro ratio where this would be true. Unless you're subscribed to a 80/10/10 C/P/F plan.

Yeah... If it fits your macros doesn't mean, as long as you are under everything.... If it fits your macros you are meeting (or exceeding for protein) your macros. Meaning, if you've already consumed all of your protein for the day with a well balanced diet, and you still have calories, carbs, and fats to fill... there's nothing wrong with a 1/2 cup of ice cream! At least that's how I understood it...
  • eautrey124
    Okay. Hold up.

OP - have you been here since 2011, lurking? If so - can't believe this gets to you.

OR - you made an account two years ago and just now started the forums. If so, spend more time lurking.

OR - you've never seen an online forum before. If so - spend more time lurking.

OR - you are housebound and never had any interaction with RL humans. If so - get out more.

Recap: it's not that big a deal to ignore the people you don't agree with online. They don't really have any power over your life.

/

I actually just used my phone when I first used in 2011, so I didn't really know about the forums. In the past month, I have started using this site again.

Secondly, I can ignore people I don't agree with, but I just prefer to have discussions with them. I just don't see why some people have to be so rude about stating their opinions. That is all I was trying to say.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Nice sentiments, I think you had the best of intentions and people can be dogmatic. But what I tend to see when things get nutso on here isn't one person demanding that another subscribes completely to their lifestyle and choices. It goes more like this:

OP: Help! I'm struggling with (issue)

Respondent: Okay, well (requests for more information)

OP: (elaborates)

Respondent: Okay you might want to (suggestion)

OP: But (reason that's unacceptable)

Respondent: But what you're doing now isn't effective because (reasons)

OP: Not everyone is the same

Respondent: But you asked for help because (thing) isn't working

OP: Bully

Third Person: Yeah Bully

Crazy Person: I've never had that problem, always been slim.

Fourth Person: (defends Respondent)

Fifth Person: IN

Respondent: (posts gif)

OP posts second thread about how mean people are.

A lot of people here ask questions they don't want the answers to.

Sixth Person: 8/10 would bang

Seventh Person: 25 years old, single, real estate agent

8th person....Just Break Up!

9th Person giving 2nd person (respondent) ****...

10th person with 2 posts doesn't realize that 9th person and 2nd person all have 3,000 + posts and are friends and just ribbing each other. 10th person makes self look like idiot by scolding 9th person about not being so "mean"
  • eautrey124

That doesn't change the fact that calories in < calories out is "the method" by which people lose weight. You can alter your calories in and out in various ways, but at the end of the day that's the method.

I said I agreed.... I just said that it is much more complex and difficult to know precisely how your body responds to certain things.
  • jonnythan
    the only people i personally disagree with are the ones who eat ice cream, cookies, brownies, etc.. and say this is a good part of my weight loss! (i now know why they do that).. but at first, thats the only thing that put me off.

Yeah, you have no idea what IIFYM is. There's no way you could meet adequate protein, fat, and fiber intake with just muffins and milk.
  • cwolfman13

Just to reiterate...yes, people are different...not drastically so, but yes...different. Still...the laws of thermodynamics do not become null and void just because you have some kind of hormone issue. It's still the laws of thermodynamics...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    I think our work here is done.

Backpedaling has commenced.

Full circle is engaged.

Spock out.
  • cwolfman13

That fits your macros?

I know this isn't the point of this thread, but I'm having trouble coming up with a solid macro ratio where this would be true. Unless you're subscribed to a 80/10/10 C/P/F plan.

Yeah... If it fits your macros doesn't mean, as long as you are under everything.... If it fits your macros you are meeting (or exceeding for protein) your macros. Meaning, if you've already consumed all of your protein for the day with a well balanced diet, and you still have calories, carbs, and fats to fill... there's nothing wrong with a 1/2 cup of ice cream! At least that's how I understood it...

This is what I mean when I say people need to pick up a frackin' dictionary and look up the word GOAL. Everyone thinks they should underachieve these GOAL rather than meeting their GOAL. It's absurdity to the Nth degree.
  • nmiller0813
    nmiller0813 Posts: 109
    What i have found is that, when you ask a question, because you have concerns, or just want to see a varieity of answers, so that you can find something to suit your lifestyle, eventualy, someone, will attack you and the choices that you have made previously. While, yes it is my choice to listen to the advice, no one ever asks for advice in hopes that someone is going to be mean to them in the process. I am not obligated to take everyone's advice, otherwise, I would be one messed up individual. If when I originally asked for the advice, I had my own personal trainer, nutritionist or dietician, then a forum would not be necessary. To be berated, does not make one want to take the advice, yet, I do have to read it as it is on my THREAD. I appreciate the comments, that I receive when I do ask a question, the comments that come from a good place. Where one truly wants to help. The rest.... well......
  • eautrey124

Just to reiterate...yes, people are different...not drastically so, but yes...different. Still...the laws of thermodynamics do not become null and void just because you have some kind of hormone issue. It's still the laws of thermodynamics...

I wasn't trying to say that the laws of thermodynamics don't hold. I am just saying that it is incredibly difficult to have an accurate number for calories out.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    There may not be "one right way"...

...but there are many "wrong" ways...

...and I'll probably continue to share my opinion when I think someone is suggesting one of them.
  • jonnythan
    I am just saying that it is incredibly difficult to have an accurate number for calories out.

It's really not, unless you have some major rare metabolic disorder. Virtually everyone can get close enough with about five minutes of time. And even if you can't, just run what you think might be right for a month or two and if it's not right you will know it's not right, and how it's not right, so you can take corrective action.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313

I agree that everyone has to find their own way and we must support each other and learn from each other, not make it harder. Just because you're behind a computer keyboard doesn't give you license to say anything you want! Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!!

This is true to a point, but you always have a choice to ignore what people say and move on. If you let it get to you, it's on you. If you are not cut out for this message board, find the right one for you. Honestly, I have not used these message boards for long but clearly there are many people who are uber-sensitive and some who bring issues here that would be better off brought to a therapist.

You do always have the choice to ignore what people say, but when you are looking for advice and all you get is criticism, it isn't helpful or beneficial to that person. If they can't find an answer to help them, they could easily fall off, which I don't want to encourage. And sure people bring problems that should be brought to a therapist, but I typically give them the best advice I can and then point them in that direction. I am not therapist, but I can try to help in any way I can.

My feeling that it's about personal responsibility. If someone says something to me that could make me easily "fall off", there are clearly bigger problems. I think it's great that you want to keep things positive, but I believe, and I have learned from experience, that if you don't own your task at hand, in this case getting fit, you will have delayed progress. I get what your saying, but this is just my take on it.

I don't disagree, and I am one that is not easily offended. And the boards don't offend me :)

That being said, I do think there are ways that we can voice criticism without attacking a person. And I think that criticism is fine (good in a lot of cases) and advice is fine but it can be done without being rude or attacking people (which I have seen on the boards)

I agree that some are overly sensitive to criticism but they still shouldn't be attacked :)

I think many people state things on the internet in ways that they wouldn't if they were having a face to face conversation and sometimes things can come across harsher or more blunt. I also think that this isn't something we just have to accept online, we are still capable of wording things respectfully and politely in an online forum if we make the effort to :)
  • I hope you all will take the time to read this. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/eautrey124/view/there-s-not-one-right-way-553123
    After reading through these forums, I have realized one thing. Some people can be really mean, and it really just seems unnecessary. I understand their is sarcasm and it's fine to be funny, but what is not okay is completely bashing someone's lifestyle.
    Okay. So you love meat. Or you're vegan. Or paleo. Or you eat all the junk food you want as long as it fits your macros. That's great. And I encourage you to share with others so that their knowledge can be deepened. However, if someone lives a different lifestyle, with a different diet and different workout routines, that should be okay too. Let's face it: There is not one perfect diet no matter how much you might want to believe there is. This is because we are human beings. We have different needs, situations and emotions. For example, I really love ice cream, but I don't want people saying I need to eat clean 100% of the time because I feel restricted and when I have restrictions, I fail. But I also try to fit my macros with the best sources possible and I don't want someone telling me I should just stop and go to McDonald's.
    Every person has a different financial situation that contributes to how much money they can actually spend on food. They have different desires and goals. This site is to be used for support. That means that by being active here they are taking steps to a healthier lifestyle, and I will let them do whatever they want as long as it keeps them on track. If they try to change everything about their life at once, they are more likely to fail. So keep encourage that if you wish, but I am going to choose to answer questions to the best of knowledge and provide a range of things that may fit what they need. I want this world to be a healthier, happier place, and that won't happen with everyone tearing people down for not living their lifestyle.
    Encouragement can go a long way.

Well said, what a great post and absolutely right. Everyone has a difference of opinions and there are people on these forums that can be extremely rude in my experience on this site for just a week. It has been very interesting replying on these forums and not a very pleasant one. I think these forums should be more about encouragement and support, and less attacking when someone has an opinion you might disagree with.
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    This is a great post. Thank you for posting this. I feel the exact same way. LOTS of hateful people. This is supposed to be a place for encouragement. And if you give advice and they don't like what you say or try to give an excuse, all you have to say is "I don't know anything else to tell you." OR just don't respond back at all. No need for all the hateful comments I see a lot of people posting.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I hope you all will take the time to read this. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/eautrey124/view/there-s-not-one-right-way-553123
    After reading through these forums, I have realized one thing. Some people can be really mean, and it really just seems unnecessary. I understand their is sarcasm and it's fine to be funny, but what is not okay is completely bashing someone's lifestyle.
    Okay. So you love meat. Or you're vegan. Or paleo. Or you eat all the junk food you want as long as it fits your macros. That's great. And I encourage you to share with others so that their knowledge can be deepened. However, if someone lives a different lifestyle, with a different diet and different workout routines, that should be okay too. Let's face it: There is not one perfect diet no matter how much you might want to believe there is. This is because we are human beings. We have different needs, situations and emotions. For example, I really love ice cream, but I don't want people saying I need to eat clean 100% of the time because I feel restricted and when I have restrictions, I fail. But I also try to fit my macros with the best sources possible and I don't want someone telling me I should just stop and go to McDonald's.
    Every person has a different financial situation that contributes to how much money they can actually spend on food. They have different desires and goals. This site is to be used for support. That means that by being active here they are taking steps to a healthier lifestyle, and I will let them do whatever they want as long as it keeps them on track. If they try to change everything about their life at once, they are more likely to fail. So keep encourage that if you wish, but I am going to choose to answer questions to the best of knowledge and provide a range of things that may fit what they need. I want this world to be a healthier, happier place, and that won't happen with everyone tearing people down for not living their lifestyle.
    Encouragement can go a long way.

Well said, what a great post and absolutely right. Everyone has a difference of opinions and there are people on these forums that can be extremely rude in my experience on this site for just a week. It has been very interesting replying on these forums and not a very pleasant one. I think these forums should be more about encouragement and support, and less attacking when someone has an opinion you might disagree with.

In your case, people haven't been attacking. They've been trying to teach you that some of your knowledge (or lack there of) is incorrect. Incorrect facts =/= difference of opinions.That doesn't make them bullies.