"mutual respect" nod when you see another fit person

_noob_
_noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
Anybody else do this or do guys and gals who reciprocate this just think I'm flirting with them?

Replies

• Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    I do the same, anytime I see someone jogging in the streets guy or girl no matter how big or small they are, idk I get all happy inside and give them a smile.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I'm from California. If people smile at me, I get suspicious.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    If someone walks by me while I am out I will smile and nod. I'm not a fit person, I'm polite.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    I do that to anyone I pass....
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Last night while running i met a fellow runner on the street... we were running towards each other. Passed one another with a high 5 and kept going.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    i might say "how u doin'? thats about it. no nod. lol but i might take a quick glimpse at their butt if yoga pants are involved.
  • __delete
    __delete Posts: 245 Member
    It's a thing for bikers/cyclists too. Almost a slight if you don't. I feel.
  • fidgit813
    fidgit813 Posts: 20 Member
    The runners in my neighborhood and I do it--it feels like a bonding moment bc I HATE running, but if I see others out there doing it I feel better about it.

But that's about it, it doesn't happen like in the gym or anything--to me that's a little weird haha
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    When I'm out running I tend to nod and smile at most people I see if I'm paying attention when I pass them. I don't take it as flirting when a guy nods or smiles, just being friendly. The people that irritate me are the guys in cars who yell out the window. That's just disrespectful...and lazy.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Last night while running i met a fellow runner on the street... we were running towards each other. Passed one another with a high 5 and kept going.

Love it!! I've done this with people I know but not complete strangers. People in this area are 50/50 with the simple greeting. Some are super friendly and say "hi, how are ya, gorgeous day!" etc. While some look at you like you're going to stab them to death if you just smile and wave. Weird...
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    This happens a lot when I go hiking. :)
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    If someone walks by me while I am out I will smile and nod. I'm not a fit person, I'm polite.

This. I think it's just common courtesy (in some? places lol) to acknowledge someone you pass. Any time I pass someone, whether I'm walking or jogging, I nod and smile.
  • crazebeck
    crazebeck Posts: 70 Member

^^^^ This is awesome! :)
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    I always smile and give encouraging nods to anyone I see outside running. No matter how fit they are, I always acknowledge the effort!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Anybody else do this or do guys and gals who reciprocate this just think I'm flirting with them?

I am in Tennessee and if you do this ^^ people will come up and talk to you for hours, might even invite you to church or sunday dinner. It is just the way we are.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    When I'm running and someone else is running and I pass them this happens - sometimes there's even high 5s. But not if I'm just walking around and I see someone running. And not when I'm just walking around seeing a fit person, because I'm not fit myself!
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member

Gotta do the low hand "wave" to the other bikers. I love that. But runners or just fit people in general? No. They never look at me, unless I'm STARING THEM DOWN and then they get all freaked out and try not to make eye contact.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member

^ This. I think it's more of a "hey we're doing the same cardio here!" thing amongst runners and bikers. Even my dog does it to other dogs when I take him for a jog with me.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Pass someone (anyone - fit, not fit, working out, not working out) while I'm out running or walking - they get a wave and usually a "morning" (unless I'm at the end of my run and am beyond speaking).

Pass a fellow cyclist while I'm out biking - they get a wave (or an "on your left" if it is a rare instance that I'm over-taking someone).

Pass a fellow motorcyclist while we're out on the motorcycles - they get a mini wave (my fingers lifted off the handlebar - Ive only been riding for about 2 months, so I'm not comfortable completely taking my hand off - especially at higher speeds), unless I'm in the middle of shifting.

:happy:

edited to add: if I'm training with a group or in a race (biking or running) and I either overtake someone, or pass them on my way back to the start/finish point, nix the above (except the "on your left" when overtaking) - then they get a "great job" or "keep it up" or "doing great" or something like that - and I like getting the same when I'm being passed/overtaken. :tongue:
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    i live in norway and we got a lot of mountains and everybody is a mountain runner here they have my greatest respect and always get a greeting and a smile from me when they pass me while i huff and puff up the mountain.
    And also every overweight person i see out there like me moving and burning cals get a cheer and a smile :smile: