"mutual respect" nod when you see another fit person

Replies

• emuravyeva
    emuravyeva Posts: 103 Member
    I run/cycle on a trail pretty much designed for those purposes, so it's common place to pant "hey" or nod when you pass another runner/walker/cyclist/whatever.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    I do it at the store where I buy my protein powder. It is a small natural foods store, and I have never seen anyone in there, male or female, who wasn't hot. It's somewhat vain because it's not just about the work; it's the appearance that tells you the work is being done. But if you've read my stuff, you know I'm not ashamed of vanity.

I do acknowledge random people out and about who are engaging in some kind of physical activity, regardless of their fitness level, because I definitely haven't always looked like a fit person. But you do have to be careful about it because not everyone thinks you're being friendly.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    It's a thing for bikers/cyclists too. Almost a slight if you don't. I feel.

This, I do it all the time. Last night I passed the same guy on my usual loop 4 times (we were going opposite directions).
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Other cyclists and runners get "the nod" if i'm on the bike. If i'm running, they get either "the nod" or "the point".
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    It's a thing for bikers/cyclists too. Almost a slight if you don't. I feel.

We call it the Harley wave, although we do acknowledgment inferior bikes also. :bigsmile:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I typically imagine they're doing some stupid routine from BB.com and their success is incidental or even accidental, and therefore instantly resent them.

I'm kind of a terrible person. True story.

Anyone on two wheels gets the biker wave from me, unless I'm clutching. Then they get a firm nod.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    I only wave to people if they are driving a corvette. It's part of the code.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    When I'm out jogging and I pass other joggers, I throw 'em a smile and a 'shaka' (Hang Loose sign). They almost always smile and wave back. :)
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    I'm from California. If people smile at me, I get suspicious.
    Lol, its like that in NYC too!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    I was talking with a guy I work with. About what defined the "Alpha Male".

I am the definite Alpha Male in my group, but this guy, Ben, was asking about it. Ben is about 6'5" and 300 lbs.

I said, "you ever notice that as one group of guys approach another group of guys, there will be one person in each group that nods and acknowledges the other? Those two are the Alpha Males."

Ben: "I never noticed that."

Me " Exactly."
  • georgann1114
    georgann1114 Posts: 30 Member
    I just came back from a walk on my lunch. I smiled and nodded at everyone I passed but people are so rude (or off in their own little world) now a days, they don't reciprocate. Put down the phone and just WALK, enjoy your surroundings!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    I'm from California. If people smile at me, I get suspicious.
    Lol, its like that in NYC too!

In NYC if you see someone waving to you, that means someone else is pickpocketing your wallet.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member

I am the definite Alpha Male in my group, but this guy, Ben, was asking about it. Ben is about 6'5" and 300 lbs.

I said, "you ever notice that as one group of guys approach another group of guys, there will be one person in each group that nods and acknowledges the other? Those two are the Alpha Males."

Me " Exactly."

I think I'm the female version of that in my group of friends.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member

Me " Exactly."
    I will be watching for this now!!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member

Me " Exactly."

I think I'm the female version of that in my group of friends.

It's called "Queen B"
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    After I pass them I turn around and then sprint past them throwing my arms in the air like I just won the gold medal. Then I turn back around and continue my run and say "suck it loser" as I pass them.

Just kidding I dont run but this would be awesome.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    I don't do that with "fit" people. I generally smile and wave at anyone when I go out running, because who doesn't like people to smile and say hello? I also end up doing that when I'm walking downtown and pass people, because I like smiling at people, and having some smile back at me. People relax when they smile. It's nice to see that.

In the gym, though, I actually make it a point to ignore people, because if I talk to them, even to ask about something inane like their shoes or the weather, they automatically assume that I'm since I'm being social and nice, I MUST be looking for their number which means they MUST start flirting and/or ask for my number first. Which is annoying.

Probably a sad statement of society that if anyone is nice to you, you MUST assume they want to get in bed with you, but hey, gender relations and programmed reactions are fun..
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member

Me " Exactly."

I always thought everyone was supposed to start snapping their fingers.

tumblr_lraal8Ctuu1qf7r5lo1_r1_500.gif
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    When I run, it's usually just a wave and nod. I'm hurting too much to smile. My runs are usually trail and for over 5 miles so something is always hurting.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    I'll let you know when I become a fit person.