Food For Thought: There's Not One Right Way

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Well said, what a great post and absolutely right. Everyone has a difference of opinions and there are people on these forums that can be extremely rude in my experience on this site for just a week. It has been very interesting replying on these forums and not a very pleasant one. I think these forums should be more about encouragement and support, and less attacking when someone has an opinion you might disagree with.

Do you think bull **** should not be corrected....just rainbows and ponies and whatevs, as long as we all get along....

There is opinion and there is fact...you have to know the difference. If someone is giving a completely nonfactual, bull**** opinion...pretty much every vet on this forum is going to call them on it. There's bro-science and then there's science. When you don't call bull**** when calling bull**** is warranted...well, that's the exact opposite of true support.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I hope you all will take the time to read this. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/eautrey124/view/there-s-not-one-right-way-553123
    After reading through these forums, I have realized one thing. Some people can be really mean, and it really just seems unnecessary. I understand their is sarcasm and it's fine to be funny, but what is not okay is completely bashing someone's lifestyle.
    Okay. So you love meat. Or you're vegan. Or paleo. Or you eat all the junk food you want as long as it fits your macros. That's great. And I encourage you to share with others so that their knowledge can be deepened. However, if someone lives a different lifestyle, with a different diet and different workout routines, that should be okay too. Let's face it: There is not one perfect diet no matter how much you might want to believe there is. This is because we are human beings. We have different needs, situations and emotions. For example, I really love ice cream, but I don't want people saying I need to eat clean 100% of the time because I feel restricted and when I have restrictions, I fail. But I also try to fit my macros with the best sources possible and I don't want someone telling me I should just stop and go to McDonald's.
    Every person has a different financial situation that contributes to how much money they can actually spend on food. They have different desires and goals. This site is to be used for support. That means that by being active here they are taking steps to a healthier lifestyle, and I will let them do whatever they want as long as it keeps them on track. If they try to change everything about their life at once, they are more likely to fail. So keep encourage that if you wish, but I am going to choose to answer questions to the best of knowledge and provide a range of things that may fit what they need. I want this world to be a healthier, happier place, and that won't happen with everyone tearing people down for not living their lifestyle.
    Encouragement can go a long way.

Well said, what a great post and absolutely right. Everyone has a difference of opinions and there are people on these forums that can be extremely rude in my experience on this site for just a week. It has been very interesting replying on these forums and not a very pleasant one. I think these forums should be more about encouragement and support, and less attacking when someone has an opinion you might disagree with.

In your case, people haven't been attacking. They've been trying to teach you that some of your knowledge (or lack there of) is incorrect. Incorrect facts =/= difference of opinions.That doesn't make them bullies.

^This. And "they" weren't the one that started name calling.
  • I hope you all will take the time to read this. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/eautrey124/view/there-s-not-one-right-way-553123
    After reading through these forums, I have realized one thing. Some people can be really mean, and it really just seems unnecessary. I understand their is sarcasm and it's fine to be funny, but what is not okay is completely bashing someone's lifestyle.
    Okay. So you love meat. Or you're vegan. Or paleo. Or you eat all the junk food you want as long as it fits your macros. That's great. And I encourage you to share with others so that their knowledge can be deepened. However, if someone lives a different lifestyle, with a different diet and different workout routines, that should be okay too. Let's face it: There is not one perfect diet no matter how much you might want to believe there is. This is because we are human beings. We have different needs, situations and emotions. For example, I really love ice cream, but I don't want people saying I need to eat clean 100% of the time because I feel restricted and when I have restrictions, I fail. But I also try to fit my macros with the best sources possible and I don't want someone telling me I should just stop and go to McDonald's.
    Every person has a different financial situation that contributes to how much money they can actually spend on food. They have different desires and goals. This site is to be used for support. That means that by being active here they are taking steps to a healthier lifestyle, and I will let them do whatever they want as long as it keeps them on track. If they try to change everything about their life at once, they are more likely to fail. So keep encourage that if you wish, but I am going to choose to answer questions to the best of knowledge and provide a range of things that may fit what they need. I want this world to be a healthier, happier place, and that won't happen with everyone tearing people down for not living their lifestyle.

In your case, people haven't been attacking. They've been trying to teach you that some of your knowledge (or lack there of) is incorrect. Incorrect facts =/= difference of opinions.That doesn't make them bullies.

Case and Point, they are opinions, I work in fitness and have my own professional opinions which I am entitled to. What you consider "knowledge or lack there of" as you so gracefully put it, is just your opinion. Two people can work in the fitness industry and have different opinions and different viewpoints. Your post was rude insinuating I have a lack of knowledge when I'm probably more educated than you on the subject.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

Case and Point, they are opinions, I work in fitness and have my own professional opinions which I am entitled to. What you consider "knowledge or lack there of" as you so gracefully put it, is just your opinion. Two people can work in the fitness industry and have different opinions and different viewpoints. Your post was rude insinuating I have a lack of knowledge when I'm probably more educated than you on the subject.

You are entitled to your own opinions.

You are not entitled to your own facts.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member

^ This.

And you can go on with your bad self and believe whatever you want to believe. But when you start handing out incorrect advice to others, you can bet your *kitten* people are going to correct you.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member

WINNING
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member

Oh! How did I miss that BeverlyHillsVivienneWoodsNoFatCleanEatingPilatesExpert was the one offering up her "advice" :laugh:
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member

Okay, I'm marking this one right HERE to say something.

I have not had a single exchange with you but I have seen you on multiple threads that have become total trainwrecks. You know what the common variable was? YOU. And this last post is exactly why. I have no skin in the game so it's without agenda when I say you appear very unprofessional, and if I was also a personal trainer on this website I would be upset about how you represent the industry.

ETA: No need to respond btw, as this was just an fyi and my opinion is evidence-based and isn't going to change.

ETalsoA: Ah, I see now that you take no ownership of your behavior, everyone else is the problem, so what I said won't matter. :maturityforyou:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member

23th poster - grammar/spelling police
    uhh, didn't you mean "case in point"?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    the only people i personally disagree with are the ones who eat ice cream, cookies, brownies, etc.. and say this is a good part of my weight loss! (i now know why they do that).. but at first, thats the only thing that put me off.

i was thinking the other day, man, if i just "eat my macros" i can exist on a muffin, milk breakfast, muffin and milk lunch and another muffin for dinner and be under 1200.. but i woud not want to live every day like that. so i have to disagree with the "fit everything under your macros number and you will be fine" theory of weight loss. haha

That isn't fitting your macros. That's being under your calories. Fitting your macros means getting your daily allotment of protein, fat and carbs within your calorie goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

tumblr_m476uggis31rpyd48.gif
  • This thread is a perfect example of the OP point.

I don't think my original response warranted any of the negative responses it received

its just another example of how these threads get completely derailed by others, I simply agreed with the Original Posters comment. Some will never grasp the concept that what they view as fact is actually just their opinion.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    :flowerforyou: :heart: and hands clapping loudly! Bravo and I couldn't agree more
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    the only people i personally disagree with are the ones who eat ice cream, cookies, brownies, etc.. and say this is a good part of my weight loss! (i now know why they do that).. but at first, thats the only thing that put me off.

i was thinking the other day, man, if i just "eat my macros" i can exist on a muffin, milk breakfast, muffin and milk lunch and another muffin for dinner and be under 1200.. but i woud not want to live every day like that. so i have to disagree with the "fit everything under your macros number and you will be fine" theory of weight loss. haha

That isn't fitting your macros. That's being under your calories. Fitting your macros means getting your daily allotment of protein, fat and carbs within your calorie goal.

Thanks for reminding me that I asked about that a few pages ago...and received no response. Maybe you'll have better luck getting clarification on this.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

Thanks for reminding me that I asked about that a few pages ago...and received no response. Maybe you'll have better luck getting clarification on this.

Unfortunately, I didn't ask it as a question. I just defined "fitting macros" in simple terms.
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Sigh. I agree with the point the OP was making. This is a public forum, however, and nothing is going to change. People, man.

I lurk the forums when I'm bored. You have some people that really are giving very poor advice and I do see a need to correct them, in a tactful way. But if you took the advice of every "expert" on here who was "stating fact", you'd be going in a lot of different directions.

I know the bottom line for me is, eat less than I burn, lose weight. Log honestly. Exercise in what way I see fit to obtain the body I want. When I need advice on a specific exercise, etc I go to google. Find a reputable website and get my info. I think of the forums as a place to read, and potentially a place to find like-minded support (as in adding to your friends list). I posted a topic once looking for other people with lower body injuries (for workout advice, experience, etc) but it got virtually no attention. I should have titled it "Heavy lifting not fitting my macros and now I'm bulky" or something. I dunno.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    I've been here for about a month now, but I'm not new to weight loss and I am certainly not new to the basic techniques of research, reading, and learning. What comes across as "mean" or as "bullying" on MFP is often just a total lack of tolerance for idiocy. People come on here day in and day out and post stupid things, and obviously they are going to get reamed for it. Should they? ABSO-****ING-LUTELY. Why should we tolerate stupidity, misinformation, and broscience on a site designed for health and fitness advice/support/motivation? Sometimes people do deserved to get torn apart for propagating dumb ideas. Occasionally it might even inspire someone to read something from a trusted source and learn who was right--the OP or the bullies. If you can't understand that, then you should find yourself a place that can and will tolerate ignorance. Or maybe just stick to the success threads, where it's nice and cozy (well...except for the "clean eating" thread....don't go there either because it might hurt your feelings).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I've been here for about a month now, but I'm not new to weight loss and I am certainly not new to the basic techniques of research, reading, and learning. What comes across as "mean" or as "bullying" on MFP is often just a total lack of tolerance for idiocy. People come on here day in and day out and post stupid things, and obviously they are going to get reamed for it. Should they? ABSO-****ING-LUTELY. Why should we tolerate stupidity, misinformation, and broscience on a site designed for health and fitness advice/support/motivation? Sometimes people do deserved to get torn apart for propagating dumb ideas. Occasionally it might even inspire someone to read something from a trusted source and learn who was right--the OP or the bullies. If you can't understand that, then you should find yourself a place that can and will tolerate ignorance. Or maybe just stick to the success threads, where it's nice and cozy (well...except for the "clean eating" thread....don't go there, either because it might hurt your feelings).

FR sent.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I've been here for about a month now, but I'm not new to weight loss and I am certainly not new to the basic techniques of research, reading, and learning. What comes across as "mean" or as "bullying" on MFP is often just a total lack of tolerance for idiocy. People come on here day in and day out and post stupid things, and obviously they are going to get reamed for it. Should they? ABSO-****ING-LUTELY. Why should we tolerate stupidity, misinformation, and broscience on a site designed for health and fitness advice/support/motivation? Sometimes people do deserved to get torn apart for propagating dumb ideas. Occasionally it might even inspire someone to read something from a trusted source and learn who was right--the OP or the bullies. If you can't understand that, then you should find yourself a place that can and will tolerate ignorance. Or maybe just stick to the success threads, where it's nice and cozy (well...except for the "clean eating" thread....don't go there either because it might hurt your feelings).

You. I like you.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    ahhh fundamentalists, you can find them on any topic....and they always sound the same.