"mutual respect" nod when you see another fit person

Replies

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Almost everyone is fit here (I do a double take when I see an obese person, they're so rare). So no.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I didn't know that it was only for fit people. I'll say "hi" to anyone who isn't on a cell phone, or mumbling crazily to no one in particular.
  • emilygray7165
    emilygray7165 Posts: 69 Member
    Last night while running i met a fellow runner on the street... we were running towards each other. Passed one another with a high 5 and kept going.

Haha that's amazing! I love talking to buff guys in the gym whilst i lift weights about manly things like tattoos and protein! :D
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    I guess you guys don't live in densely populated areas. If I gave a nod to every runner or biker or pedestrian I saw my head would fall off!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    If someone walks by me while I am out I will smile and nod. I'm not a fit person, I'm polite.

What she said!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    I was talking with a guy I work with. About what defined the "Alpha Male".

I am the definite Alpha Male in my group, but this guy, Ben, was asking about it. Ben is about 6'5" and 300 lbs.

I said, "you ever notice that as one group of guys approach another group of guys, there will be one person in each group that nods and acknowledges the other? Those two are the Alpha Males."

Ben: "I never noticed that."

Me " Exactly."

I always thought everyone was supposed to start snapping their fingers.

tumblr_lraal8Ctuu1qf7r5lo1_r1_500.gif
    If you did that, you get some seriously funny looks! You are actually supposed to break into spontaneous dance.
    tumblr_lldl4jvczE1qclvq3.gif
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    If I see someone making the effort, plodding along the pavement, sweating away while I'm driving past in the car I give them a wave and a thumbs up. They are putting in the effort, I'm not. Respect!
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    When out running and I cross paths with another runner there is almost always a nod or some kind of acknowledgement of each other. I always try to make eye contact so that this can happen, of course this is a bit harder when I'm wearing shades. But I really like the feeling of saying hi to fellow runners. It makes me feel like I'm a part of some elite club except all the members are strangers, lol.

There was one time where I was coming up behind someone and about to pass them and he looked back and saw me. Guess he didn't want to be passed by a girl or something cause he kicked it up a knotch and started running faster. I kept trying to catch up to pass cause passing someone feels really good, but he just kept going faster and faster lol. I ended up not passing him, lol. Nothing wrong with a little competition though :). I didn't mind and really all it did was make me go faster that day too :).
  • Nikki_XC
    Nikki_XC Posts: 69
    I always smile and give encouraging nods to anyone I see outside running. No matter how fit they are, I always acknowledge the effort!

DITTO.

Also, when I see other Jeeps on the road :wink:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I was talking with a guy I work with. About what defined the "Alpha Male".

I am the definite Alpha Male in my group, but this guy, Ben, was asking about it. Ben is about 6'5" and 300 lbs.

I said, "you ever notice that as one group of guys approach another group of guys, there will be one person in each group that nods and acknowledges the other? Those two are the Alpha Males."

Ben: "I never noticed that."

Me " Exactly."

I always thought everyone was supposed to start snapping their fingers.

tumblr_lraal8Ctuu1qf7r5lo1_r1_500.gif
    If you did that, you get some seriously funny looks! You are actually supposed to break into spontaneous dance.
    tumblr_lldl4jvczE1qclvq3.gif

Oh, I wish life was really like this!

But, to answer the question. No, I don't think I do that.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    There's definitely a nod of approval/eye contact that communicates respect between the lifters in my gym, especially when someone is lifting something particularly impressive. I'm happy to be included in the "mutual respect look" amongst the regular lifters now.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    yep, some people even wave
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Last year, when I first started biking on my slow and clunky hybrid bike, I barely got a glance from the "real" cyclists as they passed me on their fancy road bikes with all their fancy gear. This year, I bought a road bike and the very first time I took it out, I got the nod from fellow cyclists. I was tickled pink to be considered a "real" cyclist worthy of their respect. Now that I have most of the fancy gear and I'm passing some of those "real" cyclists (okay, okay - just the really slow ones), I get the nod all the time and I love it!
  • __delete
    __delete Posts: 245 Member
    I try to nod to anyone or everyone I see, running, walking, biking. I mean, they are out there doing something, so they are awesome in my book.
  • t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Anybody else do this or do guys and gals who reciprocate this just think I'm flirting with them?

They probably think your flirting with them.. I think its polite, everyone say hello,nods or winks in passing where i live :smile:
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    This definitely exists but geographical locale makes a big big difference.

I used to live on the west side of Columbus, OH in an area known as the Bottoms.
    No need to explain what that area is like!
    The only time you saw someone on a bike was when a bunch of grocery bags were hanging on the handle bars, & if you saw someone out running it was because they were running from someone (probably cops).
    There was always a joke that if someone was skinny & looked fit it meant they were not someone to hang around with because they were running from people a lot or have been in prison & beefed up there. Or they did coke or meth.

Cycling & running for pleasure & fitness doesn't exist to those people. I used to jog when I lived there, but I never got a smile or nod, mostly ended up being chased by a dog lol.
    I got asked what I was getting ready for, i.e. robbing something or if I had a warrant & wanted to be fast. Or I'd get accused of being on cocaine.

Then I moved to the far west side of the city, basically almost a suburb. I start to jog & bike ride upon getting settled in, & then people are waving to me, smiling at me, asking how I'm doing, nodding at me, etc.
    Wtf?? Freaked me out. I flip flopped from being annoyed of people thinking I worked out in preparation for trying to get away with something or being a coke head to now being the one suspicious & freaked out by the joggers!
    I thought the guy who smiled at me every morning when we passed was gonna mug me & thought the younger woman wanted to fight me!

It's so funny but this totally exists...what's more interesting is the mindset toward exercise of varying socioeconomic areas. That move was rough. I went from being 'preppy' & 'high class' & 'sophisticated' to being average & on the poorer side with a bad attitude by moving like 10 min away.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    I'm from California. If people smile at me, I get suspicious.

are you sure not from the East Coast originally? that was the vibe there but since ive moved west people are much more likely to smile here.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    I'm from California. If people smile at me, I get suspicious.

are you sure not from the East Coast originally? that was the vibe there but since ive moved west people are much more likely to smile here.

Yeah. I live in Southern California and everyone I pass by on my runs smiles and waves at me. There is one guy I always pass on ky runs that always tells me I'm looking good and glad I am keeping it up or something else.
  • fortunateflyer
    fortunateflyer Posts: 23 Member
    I just want to say that I have a 0% success rate with this at the gym. Obviously everyone in a gym is fit/getting fitter or whatever, but if there's someone lifting on the platform next to me it's almost always a muscular guy around my age, and they all seem to interpret my attempts at making eye contact in a "woo barbell lifting" solidarity move as me trying to pick them up, and they subsequently avoid me like the plague :(. Confidential to all men: if I'm a sweaty, messy haired disaster glancing over with a friendly smile between maxing out on squats I am not trying to hit on you.

If they're not running away from my imagined sexual interest they're looking at me like I'm crazy. Why yes, I am lying down on the floor between sets of deadlifts to practice Turkish getups with a wee kettlebell that weighs next to nothing. Nothing to see here.

I guess I'm just a social pariah at the gym :/